none
Can't add hyper-v host to SCVMM 2012 problem with agent

שאלה

• When I try to add a hyper-v host to system center, I get the error:

Error (421)
    Agent installation failed on hyper-v because of a WS-Management configuration error.

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the Windows Remote Management service is enabled and running on the server hyper-v. Additionally, in the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Remote Management (WinRM), and then ensure that there are no policy settings configured for WinRM Client or WinRM Service.

When I install the agent manually on the hyper-v host (vmmagent.msi), I get the error:

Error (413)
    The files needed to install agent, version , are missing from the Virtual Machine Manager server VMC.

Recommended Action
    Reinstall the missing files by running Virtual Machine Manager Server Setup.

-------------------

Steps that I have taken to troubleshoot this issue:

• To check integrity of or repair your host WMI repository,
      • run "winmgmt /salvagerepository".
    • To check your WMI virtualization store,
      • start wbemtest by using a local admin account of the host machine and
      • connect to \\<host>\root\virtualization
      • Try query "select * from msvm_ComputerSystem" and see if it succeeds.
    • To check your host's WMI namespace security settings,
      • Go to Server Manager, click on Configuration then right-click on WMI Control and choose Properties
      • Click on Security tab, choose SCVMM and check its Security Settings.
        • Make sure that both Administrators group and Virtual Machine Manager Servers group have the full rights on the namespace.
    • To check your WnRM state,
      • run "winrm qc".
    • To check if the WinRM listener is running,
      • run "winrm enum winrm/config/listener", or
      • run "winrm get winrm/config" to get the entire WinRM config.
    • To check if your VMM agent is responding to winrm calls,
      • run "winrm invoke GetVersion wmi/root/scvmm/AgentManagement -r:http://<host> @{}".
    • To manually restart VMM server service:
      • run "net stop vmmservice", and run "net start vmmservice".
    • To manually restart VMM host agent service:
      • run "net stop vmmagent", and run "net start vmmagent".
    • To manually restart Hyper-V service:
      • run "net stop vmms", and run "net start vmms".
    The only test that has failed is the winrm AgentManagement query. I can connect to wmi/root/scvmm, but AgentManagement does not exist. Does anyone have any ideas? (All other tests passed OK - same result - can't install agent or add hyper-v host)
    יום חמישי 07 יולי 2011 17:53

תשובות

כל התגובות

• Hello 

Try using "winrm /quickconfig" and then press y to continue with the remote manage. Also add the  SCVMM$ computer in the local admin group of the hyperv nodes.

let me know the outcome.

שבת 09 יולי 2011 15:57
  • ------

C:\DebugView>winrm /quickconfig
    Error: Unknown operation name: ''

C:\DebugView>winrm qc
    WinRM already is set up to receive requests on this machine.
    WinRM is not set up to allow remote access to this machine for management.
    The following changes must be made:

Create a WinRM listener on HTTP://* to accept WS-Man requests to any IP on this
    machine.

Make these changes [y/n]? y

WinRM has been updated for remote management.

Created a WinRM listener on HTTP://* to accept WS-Man requests to any IP on this
     machine.

------

I can access winrm, so its not a port issue (I can run winrs remote commands from another machine with no issues).

"Also add the  SCVMM$ computer in the local admin group of the hyperv nodes."

You mean add the local admin account of the SCVMM to the hyper-v node? I've tried that as well, and the same errors pop up.

יום שני 11 יולי 2011 16:00
  • Error (421)
    Agent installation failed on hyper-v because of a WS-Management configuration error.

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the Windows Remote Management service is enabled and running on the server hyper-v. Additionally, in the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Remote Management (WinRM), and then ensure that there are no policy settings configured for WinRM Client or WinRM Service.

Screen shot of error message: http://tinypic.com/r/n3tdmd/7

יום שני 11 יולי 2011 16:16
  • Heres the detailed log:

Sending the request for operation Delete to destination machine and port localhost:47001

The chosen authentication mechanism is Negotiate

Received the response from Network layer; status: 401 (HTTP_STATUS_DENIED)

Sending HTTP 401 response to the client and disconnect the connection after sending the response

Sending HTTP 401 response to the client and disconnect the connection after sending the response

WSMan operation Delete failed, error code 5

יום שלישי 12 יולי 2011 16:13
  • and heres the winrm log:

Winrm get winrm/config >c:\winrm.txt

Config
        MaxEnvelopeSizekb = 150
        MaxTimeoutms = 60000
        MaxBatchItems = 32000
        MaxProviderRequests = 4294967295
        Client
            NetworkDelayms = 5000
            URLPrefix = wsman
            AllowUnencrypted = false
            Auth
                Basic = true
                Digest = true
                Kerberos = true
                Negotiate = true
                Certificate = true
                CredSSP = false
            DefaultPorts
                HTTP = 5985
                HTTPS = 5986
            TrustedHosts = 172.20.0.34
        Service
            RootSDDL = O:NSG:BAD:P(A;;GA;;;BA)S:P(AU;FA;GA;;;WD)(AU;SA;GWGX;;;WD)
            MaxConcurrentOperations = 4294967295
            MaxConcurrentOperationsPerUser = 15
            EnumerationTimeoutms = 60000
            MaxConnections = 25
            MaxPacketRetrievalTimeSeconds = 120
            AllowUnencrypted = false
            Auth
                Basic = false
                Kerberos = true
                Negotiate = true
                Certificate = false
                CredSSP = false
                CbtHardeningLevel = Relaxed
            DefaultPorts
                HTTP = 5985
                HTTPS = 5986
            IPv4Filter = *
            IPv6Filter = *
            EnableCompatibilityHttpListener = false
            EnableCompatibilityHttpsListener = false
            CertificateThumbprint
        Winrs
            AllowRemoteShellAccess = true
            IdleTimeout = 180000
            MaxConcurrentUsers = 5
            MaxShellRunTime = 2147483647
            MaxProcessesPerShell = 15
            MaxMemoryPerShellMB = 150
            MaxShellsPerUser = 5

יום שלישי 12 יולי 2011 16:26
  • Operations log:

WSMan operation Invoke failed, error code 2150858770

יום שלישי 12 יולי 2011 17:32
  • Hello

Is the firewall services disabled ?

Can you try this out

"

set-executionpolicy remotesigned

winrm set winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts="<hostname to be trusted>"}

"

let me know the outcome.

regards

יום רביעי 13 יולי 2011 15:56
  • WinRM doesn't seem to be the issue, I already setup trustedhosts, disabled firewall on both the host and SCVMM. I can winrs from any other machine fine.

I got past the issues above (turned out to be DNS & had to join it to the domain), but now I'm getting on the following error on hyper-v host:

The VMMInstallDetector service terminated with service-specific error %%-2146041853. Any suggestions?

יום חמישי 14 יולי 2011 19:20
  • Here is the event log from the hyper-v server:

Level    Date and Time    Source    Event ID    Task Category
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:39 AM    Service Control Manager    7036    None    The Application Experience service entered the running state.
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:39 AM    Service Control Manager    7036    None    The VMMAgentInstaller service entered the stopped state.
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:37 AM    Service Control Manager    7036    None    The VMMAgentInstaller service entered the running state.
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:37 AM    Service Control Manager    7045    None    "A service was installed in the system.

Service Name:  VMMAgentInstaller
    Service File Name:  %SystemRoot%\\msiInstaller.exe /install WSMANPORT=5985 BITSPORT=443 REBOOT=ReallySuppress
    Service Type:  user mode service
    Service Start Type:  demand start
    Service Account:  LocalSystem"
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:34 AM    Service Control Manager    7036    None    The VMMInstallDetector service entered the running state.
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:34 AM    Service Control Manager    7036    None    The VMMInstallDetector service entered the stopped state.
    Error    7/15/2011 11:17:34 AM    Service Control Manager    7024    None    The VMMInstallDetector service terminated with service-specific error %%-2146041853.
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:34 AM    Service Control Manager    7036    None    The Windows Installer service entered the running state.
    Information    7/15/2011 11:17:34 AM    Service Control Manager    7045    None    "A service was installed in the system.

Service Name:  VMMInstallDetector
    Service File Name:  %SystemRoot%\\msiInstaller.exe /detect
    Service Type:  user mode service
    Service Start Type:  demand start
    Service Account:  LocalSystem"

יום שישי 15 יולי 2011 15:19
  • Can you try copying the agent from the installation Binaries and install them in the Hyperv Hosts and then import from VMM ?
    Anand
    • הוצע כתשובה על-ידי Jeremy_Clark יום ראשון 20 ינואר 2013 18:11
    יום ראשון 31 יולי 2011 16:47
  • I'm running into this issue as well, when I try and install the agent manually from the beta install it gives the message:

There is a problem with this windows installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor

I know the install is fine, because the agent is successful on the VMM server. I'm sure a rebuild of the hosts would fix this, I just don't want to go through that because I have almost 40 hosts in my production so just trying to iron out these bugs before this goes live.

Just so you know what my environment is. This is a clustered 2 Node 2008 R2SP1 test environment, and it use to be configured for VMM 2008 R2 (which is the current production environment) The old agent removed successfully because it removed the cluster from VMM successfully, I've also verified that through the regedit.

I'll post more info if I get it.

~John

יום שישי 05 אוגוסט 2011 18:40
  • So I added the cluster back to 2008 VMM and then tried to add it to the 2012 VMM and do the 're-associate" option, it failed saying the VMMAgent version was not the right one. So no luck there.

I'm going to build up a single node box next week and see if it will be added successfully once it has a fresh build.

Til then,

John

יום שישי 05 אוגוסט 2011 19:08
  • Sorry to keep adding bits and pieces here, but I had a full install of 2008 R2 SP1 that had test servers so I tried to add that host and it went into VMM 2012 just fine. Differences being

Not work:
    2008 R2 SP1 Core install

SVC Clustered configuration 

Work:

2008 R2 SP1 Full install

Single node, no cluster

יום שלישי 09 אוגוסט 2011 15:24
  • Hello 

I had some test setup with 4 nodes Clustered and import into either of them were fine SCVMM 2008 or SCVMM 2008 R2 / SCVMM 2012. I didnt face any issues. with Windows 2008 R2 SP1. Any association to reassociation must have careful steps.

1. If associating from one SCVMM to Other with same version should be fine without issues[Example SCVMM 2008 R2 SP1 to SCVMM 2008 R2 SP1]

2. If you are cross associating we need to wait for the full release of SCVMM 2012[It means try remove SCVMM 2008 R2 Agent and import into 2012 ]

1. First remove the agent

2. Then do an import from 2012 VMM wihtout installing the agent manually.

Have you done any hotfixes and tried it ?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff394763(WS.10).aspx

regards

Anand
    יום שישי 19 אוגוסט 2011 06:55
  • Can you trying locally installing the agent on this domain joined host. From Setup media you can select the option for local agent install. If that fail please provide logs present under "C:\ProgramData\VMMLogs\vmmAgent.msi_*".

If that succeeds simply add the machine as trusted host in the VMM Server.

Regards, Radhika - Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    יום שני 26 ספטמבר 2011 23:29
  • I have the same problem : can not install agent on Hyper-V host.

Error: "Failed to configure the WS-Management service. In the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Remote Management (WinRM), and then ensure that there are no policy settings configured for WinRM Client or WinRM Service."

but WinRM at GPE does not configured at all.

Conditions:

- VMM 2012 is on the domain.
    - Hyper-V host is outside of domain( physical server) .

winrm quickconfig command results:

WinRM already is set up to receive requests on this machine.
    WSManFault Message = Access is denied.
    Error number: -2147024891 0x80070005
    Access is denied.

And what interesting. that I have installed agent with success on two virtual machines.

What is the problem? 
    יום שלישי 27 ספטמבר 2011 12:54
  • Conditions:

- VMM 2012 is on the domain.
    - Hyper-V host is outside of domain( physical server) .

If the Hyper-V host is in a different domain from the VMM management server  (no two way trust between these) then try to add the host using "Untrusted Hyper-V host option"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610609.aspx

If the Hyper-V host is a non domain joined machine then you would need to use the perimeter network host (or DMZ) option.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610642.aspx

Regards, Radhika - Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    יום שלישי 27 ספטמבר 2011 18:05
  • Thanks!

But I do the same steps as described at:

"If the Hyper-V host is a non domain joined machine then you would need to use the perimeter network host (or DMZ) option.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610642.aspx"

but result of installation is the same:

Error: "Failed to configure the WS-Management service. ...."

it caused after step #9 at section "To install the VMM agent on the target host"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610642.aspx

probably I have to configure WS-management manually ?

יום רביעי 28 ספטמבר 2011 09:34
  • From the elevated command prompt on the physical host, can you give the output of the following commands:

winrm e winrm/config/listener

netsh http show sslcert

יום רביעי 28 ספטמבר 2011 22:29
  • Thanks  Radhika for your help!

I have found the problem.

It was very strange for me, installation depends from user account I used  to install agent.

I tried to install from account "admin" which is member of group Administrators. I started setup normally, then with the command "run as administrator". And have got the error at my first message.

Next I logged in to the machine with built-in Administrator and after that installation finished with success.

But why?

It was the idea to try built-in Administrator account, because I remembered that on other machines with server 2008 or Windows 7, I can not access via network to administrative share like "c$" under user, which is on the group Administrators, and can access under the built-in Administrator account.  Where this policy configure ?   

יום חמישי 29 ספטמבר 2011 14:03
  • The user who is installing the host needs to be local administrator on the host box. This is needed because we would use this account to create a local admin account. Once the host is added to the VMM management server this local admin account would be used to provide any future access to the host.
    יום חמישי 29 ספטמבר 2011 17:39
  • but it is not safe.

I always create new user , add it to Administrators group, and use this account to manage server.

Instead I disable built-in Administrator.  

But now, I see in 2008 server it is not possible?

יום שישי 30 ספטמבר 2011 06:10
  • I ran into this issue on one of my 3 Hyper-V server 2008 R2 boxes.  I ran the following commands to install DotNet on the server and then when I ran "msiexec /i vmmagent.msc"

DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx2-ServerCore

DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3-ServerCore

DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64

DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3-ServerCore-WOW64

Then it worked when i tried again.

Good luck!

יום רביעי 05 אוקטובר 2011 21:26
  • Does the account you are using to add the Hyper-V host has the domain admin privileges.

I faced the same issue while doing the same, receiving the same error. My account doesn't has the domain admin rights.

I elevated the account with domain admin rights and it has solved the error and successfully added the Hyper-V host tot he System Center.

Also Try using "winrm /quickconfig" and then press y to continue with the remote manage. Also add the  SCVMM$ computer in the local admin group of the hyperv nodes.

Thanks

Gaurav Ranjan

יום שני 28 מאי 2012 06:05
  • I had the same issue with SCVMM 2012 SP1 Beta, to fix it I uninstalled the old SCVMM 2008R2, deleted the Virtual machine manager folder structures left over under C:\program files and c:\program data\microsoft, checked that the SCVMMagent service was not present "sc query scvmmagent", then searched the registry for virtual machine manager deleted VMM line entries under MOF, deleted all keys referring to scvmm except for the one under HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows NT\Currentversion\virtualiztaion.  That did the trick
    • הוצע כתשובה על-ידי Ekstreme יום שישי 25 ינואר 2013 06:10
    יום שני 24 דצמבר 2012 16:40
  • aioli_LaCiotat you are a life saver. You're instructions worked perfectly for me. Thank you!

יום שישי 25 ינואר 2013 06:11