none
How to reboot active PCs at the same time - weekly

Domanda

• I need help with creating advertisement which will reboot all PCs at 3:00 AM at all Saturdays (weekly).

Last time I created advertisment, PC which were active at 3.00 at Saturday rebooted successfully , but PC which started at monday (not active during weekned) rebooted at monday :( right after policy refresh.

Could you please help with creating advert in correct way?

lunedì 11 giugno 2012 08:02

Risposte

• I'm going to give a suggestion; take it with grain of salt.  I think what your stated and unstated goals are is this:

1.  For workstations that ARE currently on between 2am and 4am on Saturday, reboot them.

2.  If a workstation picks up this advertisement and runs it between 4:01am until 1:59pm... (that entire week), it should NOT reboot.

To me, the only way to 99% guarantee that behavior is to script something--either with powershell (if you have PS on all your workstations) or vbscript.  And within the script you do 2 time manipulations:  1 is to simply check the 'current time' and 'day'.  If the day <> Saturday, and the Time is not between 0200 and 0400... the script should just gracefully exit and do nothing.

The other time manipulation would follow if the date/time is correct, then there should be randomization of wait sequence... to randomly 'pause' the script for anywhere from 1 second to 100 minutes (not 120; so that it 'finishes' within the 2 hours).  Once the pause completes, then the script reboots the box.

the advert is weekly start time of 2am saturday... and yes, the machines on Monday when waking up on the network (if they were off on Saturday) will still run the advert... but because you have the time check in there it will just gracefully exit.

------------

You could... also do the exact same thing you did in post #1... But EVERY week, "someone" would have to go in and change the advertisement.  The advert would have a start time of 2am, and the advert expires at 4am... of the next specifically named Saturday date.  So it's a perpetual job that someone has to do--to remember to go in and change that advert.

Although... that might be scriptable (to change the advert start and expiration time).  You'd have to look at the SDK. 

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

• Contrassegnato come risposta XXLGreG lunedì 11 giugno 2012 12:14
    lunedì 11 giugno 2012 11:33

Tutte le risposte

• you can simply create command line that copies some text file to remote computer and set the program as 'configmgr restart computer' or 'program restart computer' something similar.

you can schedule this advertisement to run weekly once at specific time .

Please click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you.

Eswar Koneti | My Tech blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti

lunedì 11 giugno 2012 09:04
  • Hello,

you could use this,this is  an inbuilt feature in SCCM 2007,the only prerequisite being that this should be enabled from the Server End.

To power on or restart all computers in a collection from the Configuration Manager console (Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 and later)

1. In the Configuration Manager console, navigate to System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Computer Management / Collections.

2. Right-click the collection that contains AMT-based computers to power on or restart, click Out of Band Management, and then click Power Control.

noteNote
      The Power Control option is always available for a collection, even if the collection contains resources that are not provisioned for AMT. Configuration Manager sends power control actions only to the computers that are provisioned for AMT.

3. In the Power Control dialog box, select Power on if computers are turned off or Restart Computer if the computers are running, and then click OK.

More info on this here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161980.aspx

• Proposto come risposta ArvindBS lunedì 11 giugno 2012 09:52
    lunedì 11 giugno 2012 09:52
  • Hello,

you could use this,this is  an inbuilt feature in SCCM 2007,the only prerequisite being that this should be enabled from the Server End.

To power on or restart all computers in a collection from the Configuration Manager console (Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 and later)

1. In the Configuration Manager console, navigate to System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Computer Management / Collections.

2. Right-click the collection that contains AMT-based computers to power on or restart, click Out of Band Management, and then click Power Control.

noteNote
      The Power Control option is always available for a collection, even if the collection contains resources that are not provisioned for AMT. Configuration Manager sends power control actions only to the computers that are provisioned for AMT.

3. In the Power Control dialog box, select Power on if computers are turned off or Restart Computer if the computers are running, and then click OK.

More info on this here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161980.aspx

This is not automated and it assumes that all of your PCs have vPro.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

lunedì 11 giugno 2012 10:03
  • I need help with creating advertisement which will reboot all PCs at 3:00 AM at all Saturdays (weekly).

Last time I created advertisment, PC which were active at 3.00 at Saturday rebooted successfully , but PC which started at monday (not active during weekned) rebooted at monday :( right after policy refresh.

Could you please help with creating advert in correct way?

IMO, This is a bad idea to reboot all of you PCs at the same time. The main reason is that you will cause a power spike within your building and may cause circuit breakers to blow.

What is the need to reboot all PCs at the same time?

http://www.enhansoft.com/

lunedì 11 giugno 2012 10:05
  • IMO, This is a bad idea to reboot all of you PCs at the same time. The main reason is that you will cause a power spike within your building and may cause circuit breakers to blow.

What is the need to reboot all PCs at the same time?

Good point. Acctually I don't need to reboot all of Pc's at the same time. It should be between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM
    lunedì 11 giugno 2012 10:48
  • You could implement maintenance windows. Otherwise it's hard to control when the reboot actually happens (as you already noticed). Or write a custom script that checks the current day/time during the runtime and only reboots the computer if it's in a given timeframe.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

lunedì 11 giugno 2012 11:26
  • I'm going to give a suggestion; take it with grain of salt.  I think what your stated and unstated goals are is this:

1.  For workstations that ARE currently on between 2am and 4am on Saturday, reboot them.

2.  If a workstation picks up this advertisement and runs it between 4:01am until 1:59pm... (that entire week), it should NOT reboot.

To me, the only way to 99% guarantee that behavior is to script something--either with powershell (if you have PS on all your workstations) or vbscript.  And within the script you do 2 time manipulations:  1 is to simply check the 'current time' and 'day'.  If the day <> Saturday, and the Time is not between 0200 and 0400... the script should just gracefully exit and do nothing.

The other time manipulation would follow if the date/time is correct, then there should be randomization of wait sequence... to randomly 'pause' the script for anywhere from 1 second to 100 minutes (not 120; so that it 'finishes' within the 2 hours).  Once the pause completes, then the script reboots the box.

the advert is weekly start time of 2am saturday... and yes, the machines on Monday when waking up on the network (if they were off on Saturday) will still run the advert... but because you have the time check in there it will just gracefully exit.

------------

You could... also do the exact same thing you did in post #1... But EVERY week, "someone" would have to go in and change the advertisement.  The advert would have a start time of 2am, and the advert expires at 4am... of the next specifically named Saturday date.  So it's a perpetual job that someone has to do--to remember to go in and change that advert.

Although... that might be scriptable (to change the advert start and expiration time).  You'd have to look at the SDK. 

• Contrassegnato come risposta XXLGreG lunedì 11 giugno 2012 12:14
    lunedì 11 giugno 2012 11:33
  • You could implement maintenance windows. Otherwise it's hard to control when the reboot actually happens (as you already noticed). Or write a custom script that checks the current day/time during the runtime and only reboots the computer if it's in a given timeframe.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

So correct me if I'm wrong (I want to be 100% sure). Even if I set in Advertisement that program (dir + 'configmgr restart computer') should be fired at 3.00 at Saturday , and PC will be turned off at the weekend - PC will run advertisement right after start (for example at Monday)
    lunedì 11 giugno 2012 11:36
  • Maintenance Windows I think would be a bad choice... well, you could work it out so that it would work...

You'd have to set this ONE reboot advertisement to never check the box about "override maint. windows"

and then set every OTHER advertisement, and Deployment for updates, to "always override maint. windows"

Of course, that would mean that you've essentially said that the ONLY time computers could run things (if you honor maint windows) is between 2pm and 4pm on Saturday.  Personally, I think that's a Big Bad Idea.

I think Maint. Windows is the completely wrong choice for this activity.  You will be boxing yourself into a corner if you follow this route.  I'm not saying you can't do it... you can plan your entire ConfigMgr schedules around this one advertisement--the one to reboot.  But ick.  What a weird choice you'd make (IMO).

lunedì 11 giugno 2012 13:23