none
SCVMM Server as VM for HA

Domanda

• Hello,

I'm a bit new to the deployment of virtual machines using Hyper-V managed by VMM Server. I'm doing an architecture to run 150 virtual machines with support for HA, I want the price of hardware is as attractive as possible using the minimum necessary servers so my questions are: Is it possible to run VMM Server as a single VM on the same Hyper-V cluster that manages to have the functionality of HA for it? Is this configuration supported by Microsoft?

Thanks in advance
    giovedì 23 febbraio 2012 23:51

Risposte

• Hi!

Please note that I'm not a Microsoft representative.

From what I understand, it's recommended to run VMM on a physical machine. It is however possible to run it as a VM.

I'm currently using SCVMM 2008 R2 in a Hyper-V failover cluster as a highly available virtual machine without any problems. I can live migrate the SCVMM VM to another node from within the VMM console when I'm connected to it through RDP, and there are no problems whatsoever.

• Contrassegnato come risposta igr88 venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 15:07
    venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 07:14

Tutte le risposte

• Hi!

Please note that I'm not a Microsoft representative.

From what I understand, it's recommended to run VMM on a physical machine. It is however possible to run it as a VM.

I'm currently using SCVMM 2008 R2 in a Hyper-V failover cluster as a highly available virtual machine without any problems. I can live migrate the SCVMM VM to another node from within the VMM console when I'm connected to it through RDP, and there are no problems whatsoever.

• Contrassegnato come risposta igr88 venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 15:07
    venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 07:14
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for yourquick response, the scenarioyou describe isas suchthatI plan toimplementin order tosavethe installationequipmentand take advantageof the cluster.I appreciate theinformation.

Kind regards
    venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 15:07
  • you can run VMM as a HA server in the VMM 2012 version (currently in RC).

VMM 2012 will play a major role in your virtual infrastructure (private cloud) so you would most likely to have this role highly available. Either on a dedicated cluster (ideal) or as VMs in a guset cluster (when the ideal isn`t always possible).

They key objective is that you don`t want your VMM server to go down together with the infrastructure your`re managing.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

lunedì 27 febbraio 2012 21:09
  • you can run VMM as a HA server in the VMM 2012 version (currently in RC).

VMM 2012 will play a major role in your virtual infrastructure (private cloud) so you would most likely to have this role highly available. Either on a dedicated cluster (ideal) or as VMs in a guset cluster (when the ideal isn`t always possible).

They key objective is that you don`t want your VMM server to go down together with the infrastructure your`re managing.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Kristian,

did you manage to run VMM 2012 as a guest VM failover cluster? 

-nismo

venerdì 30 marzo 2012 02:47