none
Failure to load a 64 bit SNMP extension agent DLL (Windows Server 2008 R2)

Pergunta

• Hi,

I have, in the past, used a 32 bit SNMP extension agent DLL on Windows Server 2003, without any problems [(32 bit) snmp.exe -> (32 bit) SNMP extension agent DLL) ].

On Windows Server 2008 R2, I can use the 32 bit DLL [ (64 bit) snmp.exe -> (32 bit) snmp.exe -> (32 bit) SNMP extension agent DLL) ], but I have realized that there is a significant limitation in this arrangement. To send out a trap, the SNMP extension agent DLL passes the trap to snmp.exe, which in turn sends the trap out on the network to the intended destination. This works, but only if the rate at which the SNMP extension agent DLL passes the traps to snmp.exe is slow enough, and this rate seems to be of the order of (about) 8 traps per second. If this rate is exceeded, (32 bit ) snmp.exe starts buffering the traps, and the memory used by snmp.exe grows over time (the same situation on Windows Server 2003 does not cause a problem).

I built the SNMP extension agent DLL as a 64 bit DLL, so that the arrangement would be [ (64 bit) snmp.exe -> (64 bit) SNMP extension agent DLL) ], but the extension agent DLL does not get loaded, and I can see the following message in the Event Viewer:
    The SNMP Service is ignoring extension agent dll C:\Windows\system32\MySNMPagent.dll because it is missing or misconfigured.
    Event ID : 1102 (SNMP)

The extension agent ( MySNMPagent.dll ) is certainly not missing, there are no further clues (as far as I can tell) on just how it is misconfigured.

Is there any way to generate any more debug information? Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks for reading this query.

CD
    segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 10:51

Respostas

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

Please check the issue referring to the following KB articles:

Event Log Error 1106: The SNMP Service Is Ignoring Extension Agent DLL Winnt\System32\W3pmib.dll
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241813

How to troubleshoot Simple Network Management Protocol service startup issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888798

As the issue is related to Windows Server 2008 R2, it is also recommended that you visit Windows Sever Forum for help:

Windows Server Forums
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

quarta-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2013 10:10
  • I have the same problem and I have no idea how to solve it?

the snmp extension was loaded at 32bits but not in 64 any more

Is it a registry problem?

Do i have to compile the dll under 64 bit?

I have not enough time and it will be very useful for me to get your solution

best regards

dafna

terça-feira, 26 de novembro de 2013 19:14
  • I found the problem

In the registry there is a different path to define for 32bit and to 64bit

32bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
             SYSTEM\
             CurrentControlSet\
             Services\
             SNMP\
             Parameter\
             ExtensionAgents

64bit:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
             SYSTEM\
             CurrentControlSet\ 
             Control\
             SNMP\
             Parameter\
             ExtensionAgents

In Both version you should add a string value defines the path of CurrentVersion as you already did

Goodluck

Dafna

dafna10

quinta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2013 08:17