none
Roll back on installing SCOM 2007 R2 Reporting

Întrebare

• Problem:

When installing the Reporting component of System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 in my Lab environment, it automatically rolls back the installation after almost finishing it. Last visible Status: Configuring RunAs accounts.

Cancel-Message: "The setup wizard was interrupted before Operations Manager 2007 R2 could be installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run the setup again."

Environment:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (No Roles; 1 Feature: .NET FW 3.5.1)

Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 SP1 (all features)

Separate Server for the RMS (Server 2008 R2 (IIS; .NET 3.5.1), SQL 2008 R2 SP1 (all features)), default configuration except for assigning security roles.

Domain level: 2008 R2

Installation/configuration History:

I first encountered the problem of the installation hanging up after selecting the reporting server, after which I redid the entire installation process following these guides:

Installing operations manager 2007 reporting successfully

KB2425714

Which allowed me to proceed until I encountered abovementioned point. I tried my best allowing with account-privileges from there-on: For the two accounts I tried both domain and local accounts with varying degrees of privileges: Local Administrators, Domain Administrators, ...; The account running the installation is a Domain Administrator, a local Administrator, has sysadmin for the MS Database and DW database and is a System Center Operations Manager Administrator. In the current configuration, the two system accounts are each local administrators, database administrators for both database servers, domain users and Operations Manager Administrators.

Help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance,

Bosparan

1 martie 2012 11:09

Răspunsuri

• Hello fellows,

I have now been working on it for some time and finally made things work. It required cleaning and reinstalling every involved server, SQL and SCOM component, but finally it worked in this setup:

• Server 1: RMS
    • Server 2: MS
    • Server 3: DBops, DBdw and RS

I used the identically same steps as in the previous attempts, but now it worked flawlessly.

Steps involved:

1. Install Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard on all machines and update them
    2. Install SQL 2008 R2 on Server 3 with two separate DB and Reporting Instances
    3. Install DBops with the DBCreateWizard
    4. Install RMS on Server 1
    5. Install MS on Server 2
    6. Install DBdw with the DBCreateWizard
    7. Renamed the appropriate local group as specified in this KB-Entry
    8. Installed Reporting
    9. Undid Step 7

A big thanks to all the people who tried to help and those that spent time considering solutions to my problem but could not think of a new advice worth posting.

Regards,

Bosparan

• Marcat ca răspuns de Bosparan 14 martie 2012 12:05
    14 martie 2012 12:04

Toate mesajele

• I just want to share my experience on scom reporting installation, RMS and DB server on separate server

1) my account for installing scom and db has local administrator right

2) install sql reporting without configuration

3) after install sql reporting, using Reporting Services Configuration connection to configure the reporting

4) using scom data reader account as SQL reporting service account

5) configure scom data reader account used by reporting server to connect report server database

6) Using scom data reader account as execution account

7) at last, on SQL db server , install SCOM reporting feature

Roger

1 martie 2012 13:46
  • Hiho,

First of all, what might make sense to append:

A few Log-Files

Alright, then, thanks for the suggestions. For a bit of feedback on the examples:

SCOM 2007 R2 Reporting install failing

That was alright, especially reminding me of providing the logs which should have been a no-brainer, really. The proposed solution there was however completely irrelevant, since that was OS-specific for different OSes.

http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2011/08/scom-r2-reporting-installation-keeps-on.html

A great blog, giving me a lot to think on, leading me down a few more alleys which unfortunately proved dead-ends as well.

Still, never hurts to be reminded to go at error analysis as methodically as possible.

Thus, my problem persists.

Aside from retrying a few things (juggling permissions, installing as SDK user), cleaning my system and starting installation anew (unsuccessfully) I did make a video of the entire installation process and rewatched the final part in slow motion, allowing me to read the true final text passage before roll back which is displayed for a fraction of a second (after vanishing, the progress bar jumps almost to the end, then the roll back initializes): Registering Product

Anyways, thanks for your efforts and hopefully the logs tell someone something they did not tell me (and hopefully it's not something embarassingly simple).

Greetings,

Bosparan

2 martie 2012 10:05
  • I was unable to open your log files.

Sometimes the rollback can occur if you have attempted installation more than once, and one of the previous attempts made it to the MG registration stage.  In this case, you would need to remove the previously registered MG by executing one of the SP's on the DW.  If I recall correctly, you'll need to find the guid of the previous attempt to register the reporting installation and run the following against the DW:

exec dbo.ManagementGroupRejectConnect 'guid_of_pending_registration'

Then try your installation again.

HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT

4 martie 2012 15:17
  • Hello,

here a corrected version of the Log-Files:

Log-Files

the dbo.ManagementGroup contains no data-set at all, thus no ConnectRejected that I can remove (besides, if it was a database-connect error, the install would fail far sonner than when it does fail.

_

Greetings and thanks,

Bosparan

5 martie 2012 07:19
  • Hello fellows,

I have now been working on it for some time and finally made things work. It required cleaning and reinstalling every involved server, SQL and SCOM component, but finally it worked in this setup:

• Server 1: RMS
    • Server 2: MS
    • Server 3: DBops, DBdw and RS

I used the identically same steps as in the previous attempts, but now it worked flawlessly.

Steps involved:

1. Install Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard on all machines and update them
    2. Install SQL 2008 R2 on Server 3 with two separate DB and Reporting Instances
    3. Install DBops with the DBCreateWizard
    4. Install RMS on Server 1
    5. Install MS on Server 2
    6. Install DBdw with the DBCreateWizard
    7. Renamed the appropriate local group as specified in this KB-Entry
    8. Installed Reporting
    9. Undid Step 7

A big thanks to all the people who tried to help and those that spent time considering solutions to my problem but could not think of a new advice worth posting.

Regards,

Bosparan

• Marcat ca răspuns de Bosparan 14 martie 2012 12:05
    14 martie 2012 12:04