none
Office 2007 deploys but SCE reports 'failure'

คำถาม

• Created an MSP using the OCT and put it in the updates folder, manually run the setup.exe and it installs with no issues.  Created a new package in SCE for the Office installation, package was created successfully and approved to test group of three XP SP3 computers.  Two of the computers where fresh installs from bare-metal, no other software on them.  When I check the deployment status report on any of the three test machines it reports an 'Installation Failed' status - The client computer reported a failure for this update or package.  Checked the logs on the systems and found the Windows Update event ID 20 "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070020: MS Office 2007 Standard."  The shortcuts however where in the start menu, tried Word and Excel and both opened successfully.  Then checked the logs again and found the MSI Installer event ID 11707 reporting "Product: Microsoft Office Standard 2007 -- Installation operation completed successfully." Because SCE thinks the install failed it tees it up to install again, so each night SCE reinstalls Office.  If we try to turn off a computer it then tries to do the install, and will sit for hours and hours at 'installing update 1 of 1 do not turn off or shut down computer'; one machine was left overnight for nearly 12 hours with no progress, the computers have to be powered off and the Office package approval removed. 

I have since added three Windows 7 machines for testing with the same results.  I have 23 software packages created in SCE (such as Java, Adobe, FireFox, OpenOffice, Live Essentials & MS Security Essentials) and this is the only one that has this issue.

So to summarize, Office 2007 installs and works fine but for some reason SCE/WSUS seems to think the installation failed. 

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

25 สิงหาคม 2554 16:33

คำตอบ

• Hello,

Before getting into a deep troubleshooting session, I want to confirm that you have walked through the guidance document here: 

Deploy the 2007 Office system by using System Center Essentials 2007
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179040.aspx

For the error 0x80070020, please also refer to the KB article here:

You receive error 0x80070020 when you use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to install updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825

Please temporarily disable spyware and antivirus software and any firewalls to see if it helps.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Yog LiModerator 6 กันยายน 2554 8:37
    26 สิงหาคม 2554 11:52

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hello,

Before getting into a deep troubleshooting session, I want to confirm that you have walked through the guidance document here: 

Deploy the 2007 Office system by using System Center Essentials 2007
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179040.aspx

For the error 0x80070020, please also refer to the KB article here:

You receive error 0x80070020 when you use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to install updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825

Please temporarily disable spyware and antivirus software and any firewalls to see if it helps.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Yog LiModerator 6 กันยายน 2554 8:37
    26 สิงหาคม 2554 11:52
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

6 กันยายน 2554 8:38
  • Apologies, I was away on vacation.  The issue was not resolved but rather abandoned, I was under time contrainsts and did have the luxury of fighting with SCE, I used GPO to deploy Office instead.

7 กันยายน 2554 17:44