none
iSCSI storage and SCVMM

Soru

• I'm in the process of spec'ing out hardware for  a VS2010 TFS/Test system.  In regards to the SCVMM/Lab Manager system, can I use an iSCSI storage appliance. What are the potential problems,  caveats and limitations? Can these LUNs be then mapped as network shares to the VHosts?

Is there a better setup to use?

20 Eylül 2011 Salı 20:04

Yanıtlar

• Please provide some more details into your setup. Are you planning use iSCSI target for the VM hosts? Will the hosts be clustered?

In general, we have customers that attach Microsoft iSCSI target to VM hosts. They only limits you have in this configuration are those imposed by iSCSI target. 

27 Eylül 2011 Salı 11:38

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi,

i can only give you my experience as we use SCVMM and iSCSI.

We use iSCSI lan connections to present lun to our VMS and our Hyper-V Cluster.

I have come across no issues thus far.

The big thing is the number of ip addresses required. Our servers require 3 ip addresses. 1 for LAN and 2 for iSCSI on a separate range.

22 Eylül 2011 Perşembe 06:18
  • Please provide some more details into your setup. Are you planning use iSCSI target for the VM hosts? Will the hosts be clustered?

In general, we have customers that attach Microsoft iSCSI target to VM hosts. They only limits you have in this configuration are those imposed by iSCSI target. 

27 Eylül 2011 Salı 11:38
  • I would say the depending on your environment and how much effort you want to put into the infrastructure.  SCVMM & Hyper-V and iSCSI all work just fine with each other.  

In all implementation of iSCSI you need to be aware of your network, bandwidth, latency IOPS that you are going to use and what the iSCSI array can support.

So in the typical engineer response to your question "It depends"  :-)

Best practice is to have iSCSI HBA's and dedicated networks for the iSCSI interfaces and SAN.  Multiple interfaces are even more ideal being able to use MPIO.

I can say that I have implemented several Hyper-V failover clusters using iSCSI for the CSV, SQL and Passthrough Disks.  All works well and we have not had any performance issues because of the implementation of iSCSI.

-- Jonas
    • Düzenleyen GPFBoyJS 06 Ekim 2011 Perşembe 11:28
    04 Ekim 2011 Salı 12:49
  • This post is older than 30 days ..  Did this issue get resolved?  If so, please share with community how you resolved.  Otherwise, re-activate post if you still require assistance.  Forums are best effort support and so if you require assistance this more detailed I recommend opening a case with Microsoft Support.

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com

06 Ekim 2012 Cumartesi 02:38
    Moderatör