none
Ran WSUSUTIL RESET on a Disconnected WSUS Server, Now All Updates Are Reporting As Needing Downloading

คำตอบ

• Might I suggest that if all of the updates are already downloaded, then run BITSADMIN /ALLUSERS /RESET and clear out the BITS queue.

If you had updates that were showing as needed downloading, and the WSUS console says files are still waiting to be downloaded, then  you have an entirely different issue to diagnose, and running WSUSUTIL RESET did nothing, except perhaps to complicate things.

The question is whether the downloading is progressing, albeit slowly, or it's been completely stopped. Review the Application Event Log of the WSUS Server for any entries that might explain why the downloading is not progressing.

Also, if you could itemize the specific updates that are not yet downloaded. Then remove the approvals, clear the BITS queue, and retry by approving ONE update and observing if the download starts and completes.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Eric Zhang CHNModerator 28 เมษายน 2552 6:49
    23 เมษายน 2552 21:26

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Well it's never a good a idea to run a command without knowing what it will do. What let you to do this in the first place? The command is supposed to look at the metadata and check for missing or corrupted updates. If either case is true then wsus will want to download those updates. Since you say they are there perhaps they are corrupt? Hard to diagnose without knowing why you ran the command in the first place.
    23 เมษายน 2552 14:24
  • Thanks for your response.  I ran the command in the first place because a few updates where showing as needing downloading.  I knew they were there so I thought WSUSUTIL RESET would reindex the database.  Do you have any idea as why WSUS is showing that all the updates need downloading yet they are all on the server?  Is this a corrupt database issue?
    23 เมษายน 2552 14:53
  • It is possible that your database has become corrupt but unfortunately I don't know how you would go about checking this. Your database could be corrupt but if you can access wsus console then chances are it's ok. It could just be that your updates got corrupted and when you ran the reset command it noticed this and said you had to download them again. Have you tried downloading one of the updates and seeing if it downloads fine? If it does then you just might have to take the bullet and download them again over the weekend than trying to mess with the database. Do you have wsus to automatically download the updates during synch or just the metadata? If you just have the metadata then the updates aren't downloaded until you approve them for some group. Is it possible you overlooked this? Also, have you already connected the server to the network?
    23 เมษายน 2552 20:20
  • Might I suggest that if all of the updates are already downloaded, then run BITSADMIN /ALLUSERS /RESET and clear out the BITS queue.

If you had updates that were showing as needed downloading, and the WSUS console says files are still waiting to be downloaded, then  you have an entirely different issue to diagnose, and running WSUSUTIL RESET did nothing, except perhaps to complicate things.

The question is whether the downloading is progressing, albeit slowly, or it's been completely stopped. Review the Application Event Log of the WSUS Server for any entries that might explain why the downloading is not progressing.

Also, if you could itemize the specific updates that are not yet downloaded. Then remove the approvals, clear the BITS queue, and retry by approving ONE update and observing if the download starts and completes.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Eric Zhang CHNModerator 28 เมษายน 2552 6:49
    23 เมษายน 2552 21:26