none
The MAP (6.5) Toolkit setup wizard failed - ErrorCode 1603. Any ideas welcome please?

คำตอบ

• That error code is a "catch all" error code for SQL Server. One possible cause is if MAP is unable to create a SQL mdf file because it already exists from a previous installation that didn’t uninstall correctly. Delete the MAP SQL directories and try again.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย Michael Switzer [MSFT CSG]Moderator 14 ธันวาคม 2554 17:31
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย SASAND.com 2 มีนาคม 2555 17:59
    14 ธันวาคม 2554 17:31
    ผู้ดูแล

ตอบทั้งหมด

• That error code is a "catch all" error code for SQL Server. One possible cause is if MAP is unable to create a SQL mdf file because it already exists from a previous installation that didn’t uninstall correctly. Delete the MAP SQL directories and try again.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย Michael Switzer [MSFT CSG]Moderator 14 ธันวาคม 2554 17:31
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย SASAND.com 2 มีนาคม 2555 17:59
    14 ธันวาคม 2554 17:31
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Thanks Michael.

Believe it or not, I have just retried this and I am now getting an Error code = 1603 again.

Thanks for your help. I am still stuck.

2 มีนาคม 2555 18:00
  • Are you able to install SQL Server by itself? If you still get a 1603 error when installing SQL Server without MAP, then it is a SQL installation issue and I would recommend posting on the SQL Server forum since they would be better able to help with that specific problem.

5 มีนาคม 2555 23:02
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Hello,

Same problem here installing MAP 6.5 on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64.  SQL Express 2012 is already installed with the MAPS instance.  Worked fine on XP Pro SP3 with SQL Express 2008.  Following error in Application log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MsiInstaller
    Date:          5/21/2012 11:35:13 AM
    Event ID:      10005
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          [snip]
    Computer:      [snip]
    Description:
    Product: Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit -- Error 25158. Error Code: 5000. Failed to execute SQL script.

Exerpts from MAPSASetupMSI.log:

CheckDatabaseExists: Succesfully connected to 'master' database on server. lpc:computer_name\MAPS
    CheckDatabaseExists: Succesfully retrieved database list from 'master' database.
    CheckDatabaseExists: Database exists. master
    ExecuteSqlScripts: Succesfully connected to specified database. master
    ExecuteSqlScripts: Executing SQL script. c:\Program Files\Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit\Database\SystemInfoScript.sql
    ExecuteSqlScriptFileFromMsi: Successfully opened SQL script file. c:\Program Files\Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit\Database\SystemInfoScript.sql
    ExecuteSql: Failed to execute SQL script. Error Code: 0x80040E14. /*

and:

. Additional Error Description : Database 'SystemInfo' does not exist.
    MSI (s) (38!5C) [11:35:13:188]: Product: Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit -- Error 25158. Error Code: 5000. Failed to execute SQL script.

Error 25158. Error Code: 5000. Failed to execute SQL script.
    ExecuteSqlScriptFromString(): Failed to execute SQL script section in the script file. Error Code: 0x80040E14. /*

and:

Property(S): SOURCEDIR = c:\09f5eb89cf86d162819a\
    Property(S): SourcedirProduct = {E80EEA42-AE13-476E-9141-D90552C701E1}
    Property(S): DB_MMSSDDATA_DIR = c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MAPS\MSSQL\Data
    Property(S): DB_MMSSDLOG_DIR = c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MAPS\MSSQL\Data
    Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
    MSI (s) (38:30) [11:35:16:133]: Product: Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (38:30) [11:35:16:133]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit. Product Version: 6.5.4229.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

=== Logging stopped: 5/21/2012  11:35:16 ===

Not sure what you mean by "Delete the MAP SQL directories and try again" that was marked as the answer.  Deleting the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MAPS prevents the service for that instance (MAPS) from starting. 

I've tried multiple variations of Run as Administrator, Compatibility Mode, etc.  I also tried changing the instance service log on from the default NT Service\MSSQL$MAPS to my domain (admin) ID and to Local System.  No joy.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

21 พฤษภาคม 2555 16:30
  • I found a workaround:  I manually removed all components of SQL Express 2012 via Control Panel, and then let the MAP setup download and install SQL.  It worked fine, except it gave me SQL Express 2008.  So, I assume that MAP 6.5 is not compatible with SQL Express 2012, but I don't have specific info on that.  I suppose I'll let it go and work with what works . . .
    21 พฤษภาคม 2555 17:31
  • MAP 6.5 does not support SQL Server 2012 but MAP 7.0 does. In fact, MAP 7.0 installs LocalDB which is a stripped down SQL Server Express that only runs when MAP runs. Because of this, the MAP 7.0 system requirements have changed regarding what operating systems you can install MAP on. See this blog post for more info.

MAP will install LocalDB alongside any currently installed instance of SQL Server, including any MAPS instances. You can switch between using LocalDB and other SQL installations in the database manager in MAP. You can find more info in this blog post.

One note of caution, since LocalDB is SQL Server 2012, any databases migrated or created using LocalDB cannot be restored onto a lower version of SQL Server such as 2008 R2.

21 พฤษภาคม 2555 17:44
    ผู้ดูแล