14 พฤษภาคม 2552 0:08Three scenarios:
Scenario 1: A clean install of Windows XP for Windows 7: How can I create a "seamless" shortcut of WinXP applications - such as IE onto my Win 7 installation? Only newly installed applications on winxp "seamless" shortcut is created on Win7.
Scenario 2: I would like to use and existing WinXP VHD created from VPC 2007 onto my Win7 PC. I am able to run the virtual machine - but is there any way to create "Seamless" shortcuts for already installed applications in this VHD onto my win7 desktop.
Scenario 3: I would like to flatten and rebuild my Win 7 installation or move to another Win 7 machine.. Can the seamless shortcuts created in my Win7 be copied over to the new Win7 machine and still work? Or will the shortcuts cease to work?
14 พฤษภาคม 2552 2:43ผู้ดูแลFor all the scenarios I am assuminca that you are creating your own custom Windows XP virtual machine
For Scenario 1 and Scenario 2:
- Ensure that RAIL QFE's for Windows XP are installed in the virtual machine [Note tha the QFE requires Windows XP SP3 Professional SKU].
- Install the Virtual PC integration components (For scenarios 2 I am assuming that you have uninstalled VPC Additions from the VM)
- The "Automatically Publish Virtual Applications" Settings [part of the Auto Publish settings for VPC] must be enabled.
- Ensure that the links to the application have been published in the all users menu.
With this you are good to go. Start the VM and you will find that the links to the virtual apps gets published to Win7 Start menu.
About Scenario 3:
I am asuming that you have reinstalled Win7 (VHD retained) or have moved your VHD to another Win7 mahcine.
In both cases, install Windows Virtual PC; create a new Vm with the VHD that you have created. Start the VM. Soon after the VM boots up you will find the shortcut published on to the Win7 start menu.
- ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Rahul Razdan MSFTMicrosoft, Moderator 14 พฤษภาคม 2552 4:35
14 พฤษภาคม 2552 7:48ผู้ดูแลHowever some programs like IE6 is blocked from publishing. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList registry key and find the name of the program you want to publish and delete the entry. Restart your virtual machine.
14 พฤษภาคม 2552 16:45Thx for all the help.
I browsed to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList "
However, I do not see applications such as iexplore.exe or notepad.exe or cmd.exe in this list. I have IE8. How do I get IE8 to show up in my seamless experience?
Oddly, a 3rd party app inadvertently allows me to launch IE8.
The app creates a HTML readme shortcut like so "C:\Program Files\foobar\foobar\foobar.html" - since this shortcut is published, it actually launches IE8 from xp. Seems like an odd way to get to IE8 in XP.
14 พฤษภาคม 2552 19:04ผู้ดูแล
· Internet Explorer 6 (“IE6”) is installed in a per-user profile. Windows Virtual PC publishes only applications that are installed in the All-User profile. Install IE6 in XP and follow the steps below to publish IE6 to your Windows 7 start menu:
· On the virtual machine desktop, open the command prompt.
· On the command prompt, execute:
· Copy “%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk” “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs” This will copy the IE 6 shortcut from per user profile to Alluser profile
· One (1) file should get copied.
· Wait for a few seconds and verify that IE6 is now published on the host (Windows 7) computer.
· Log-off and close the virtual machine window.
· You can now use IE6 from your Windows 7 start menu.
14 พฤษภาคม 2552 20:11Regarding..
"Oddly, a 3rd party app inadvertently allows me to launch IE8.
The app creates a HTML readme shortcut like so "C:\Program Files\foobar\foobar\foobar.html" - since this shortcut is published, it actually launches IE8 from xp. Seems like an odd way to get to IE8 in XP."
Since IE8 is your default browser in windows xp mode vm, any htm, html files/links launched from published apps, will open with IE8. Similarly, if you have a .txt file published, invoking it will open with notepad in windows xp mode, if notepad was the default application associated with it.
To publish IE8, you would have to follow steps as mentioned above by Varinder Sharma.
Thanks, Rashmi U.R
- เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย sjm-austin 6 มกราคม 2553 7:05
6 มกราคม 2553 7:11I have the same problem with seamless shortcuts. I installed a program on virtual XP, but cannot get the seamless icon to appear in Windows 7. When I installed the program, it did not offer the option of installing for all users vs. just one (which is how Microsoft's video on the topic suggests getting integration to work). It simply installed for one user. I copied the launching shortcut to the all users start menu/programs folder as suggested in this thread, but the shortcut doesn't appear in Win7 under the "windows virtual pc" programs in the start menu as it should. Likewise, copying the shortcut to the Windows 7 desktop doesn't work.
I have tried disabling and re-enabling the program integration setting in the virtual machine settings option, but that didn't make a difference. Not sure why this won't work. Seems like it should be pretty simple, but I cannot figure out how to get the program launching shortcut to "publish" in Windows 7. Is there a way to write a command line directly into a Windows 7 shortcut that would access a virtual machine's application?
18 มิถุนายน 2553 20:44
I have the exact same problem as sjm-austin.
moving some shortcuts to the VM's alluser start menu folder work correctly and others do not. For example ie6 works but pinball does not. What's the magic that some applications register and others don't?
1 มีนาคม 2555 19:18
You are to "Publish" your application to the Host OS.
1) If its not already published in the "Start Menu">"Windows Virtual PC" > "Windows XP Application"
Make Sure "Auto Publish" is enabled in the virtual PC settings.
Also check if your particular app is not in the Exclude List at: HLKM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtual Machine\VPCVAppExcludeList
2) If all fails: Manually publish your app:
3) Yes the shortcut shortcut should work on different hosts.
- แก้ไขโดย Ujjwal Singh 013 1 มีนาคม 2555 19:20