none
How to merge partitions in Windows 7 ?

الإجابات

• I’m assuming D is just a data partition and doesn’t contain the page file, boot files or a second operating system. If so, merge the partitions by removing D and extending C, as follows:

1. Back up to an external device any important data on D and, optionally, move the same important data from D to C.
    2. Right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management, then right-click the graphic of the D partition and select Delete. The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or Free Space if it‘s a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition. Delete the partition if it is an Extended partition.
    3. Now right-click the graphic of the C partition and select Extend.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Linda Yan 17/ربيع الأول/1431 09:04 ص
    16/ربيع الأول/1431 08:45 ص
  • Merging partitions is not possible with built-in tools. Third party sowftare like Partition Magic might do the trick. But I would not recommend it: you would still have to make a full backup so you won't win any time. BurrWalnut describes the procedure to delete D: and extend C: with Windows built-in tools.

However: consider other solutions too.
    *Moving user data to the D:
    *Creating a mount point on C:
    MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة skocev 29/ربيع الأول/1431 02:18 م
    16/ربيع الأول/1431 09:08 ص
  • Thanks you BurrWalnut and SenneVL.

I follow the steps that you give me and.
    I make it only one partition.

Thanks,
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة skocev 24/محرم/1432 01:26 م
    29/ربيع الأول/1431 02:21 م

جميع الردود

• I’m assuming D is just a data partition and doesn’t contain the page file, boot files or a second operating system. If so, merge the partitions by removing D and extending C, as follows:

1. Back up to an external device any important data on D and, optionally, move the same important data from D to C.
    2. Right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management, then right-click the graphic of the D partition and select Delete. The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or Free Space if it‘s a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition. Delete the partition if it is an Extended partition.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Linda Yan 17/ربيع الأول/1431 09:04 ص
    16/ربيع الأول/1431 08:45 ص
  • Merging partitions is not possible with built-in tools. Third party sowftare like Partition Magic might do the trick. But I would not recommend it: you would still have to make a full backup so you won't win any time. BurrWalnut describes the procedure to delete D: and extend C: with Windows built-in tools.

However: consider other solutions too.
    *Moving user data to the D:
    *Creating a mount point on C:
    MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة skocev 29/ربيع الأول/1431 02:18 م
    16/ربيع الأول/1431 09:08 ص
  • Thanks you BurrWalnut and SenneVL.

I follow the steps that you give me and.
    I make it only one partition.

Thanks,
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة skocev 24/محرم/1432 01:26 م
    29/ربيع الأول/1431 02:21 م
  • Thanks followed what you said and I now have one large partition
    02/جمادى الثانية/1431 10:38 م

I just had to restore an HP with Window 7 Pro using their factory supplied restoration discs. At no time did the set up ask me about formating or patitions. It overrode the primary parition I created and it ended up setting up 4. The 1st is a system area, 2nd is the HP backup partition, 3rd is C: and the 4th unallocated. C is only 100gb, the 4th has the remaining of the 1tb drive.

Right clicking on C: within the manager and "Extend" is grayed out. 

11/ذو الحجة/1431 02:01 م
  • EMetz800

I’ve just received an email regarding your post. It’s over a week old so you may have solved the issue.

If not, you should be able to Extend C if the unallocated space is immediately to the right of drive C in the Disk Management graphical layout.

22/ذو الحجة/1431 08:46 ص
  • ... and if it's to the left?
    25/ذو الحجة/1431 11:33 م
  • Then it isn't what is referred to as 'contiguous', to move to your primary partition you will have to do a fresh install, removing all partitions. However, you could change the format of your unallocated space to be readable by Windows and place your data files there and only use your C: as a boot sector and selected programmes. Hope this helps
    02/صفر/1432 11:30 ص
  • I followed steps:

2. Right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management, then right-click the graphic of the D partition and select Delete. The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or Free Space if it‘s a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition

The D drive is not free space and when trying to delete it a message stated I would no longer have access.  The Extend option on C is not available, so my question is I delete the D drive will I have access to Extend the C drive?

Also, I I do a system recovery from the backup disc will that restore the entire computer to factory state or just the C drive?

28/صفر/1432 06:13 م
  • Thank you for the clear and concise directions which worked perfectly.
    23/شوال/1432 02:39 م
  • I want to delete my D drive and create one partitions, then blow away Win 7 (got a new computer) and install Ubuntu on a laptop alone. This should do it for me.
    Gateway laptop Windows 7 Professional SP1
    04/ذو القعدة/1432 12:52 م
  • The Extend Option is disable for C:\ Drive and D:\ is in unallocated stat as after Delete
    12/محرم/1433 05:55 ص
  • I also give 100 points
    15/شعبان/1433 09:52 م
  • Hey BurrWalnut

I followed the directions you posted (nice, clear, and concise!), but came to an issue once D: was deleted.  When deleted, the D: partition returned to Free Space.  From there, I cannot extend C: (grayed out) or delete the Free Space partition that was D: (Says "There is not enough space on disk(s) to complete this operation").  The partition formerly known as D: is located to the immediate right of C: in the graphical layout.  Thoughts? Advice? Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

~A

09/شوال/1433 08:21 م
  • Aaron

The partition has returned to Free Space because it was a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition. It would have returned to Unallocated if it had been a Primary Partition.

You will not be able to use the built-in tools. Google for one of the free, partition manager programs to extend C.

10/شوال/1433 07:11 ص
  • I had the same issue.  The key is when you right click and delete the first partition according to Burr's instructions, it becomes free space.  You have to right click again and delete partition again for it to become unallocated space.  Once it is unallocated space, then right click on C and extend won't be grayed out.
    20/شوال/1433 07:27 م
  • MiniTool Partition Wizard,

it does the trick!

27/شوال/1433 11:09 م
  • No you cannot..What you will do is to reformat. Make a backup first then do the reformat or even to make an upgrade. You Drive C:still the operating system is there.

You dont have choice but to reformat.

Hope it is helpfull to you..

Thnkas

04/ذو القعدة/1433 02:50 م
  • That is impossible, As I experineced deleting the partition it does meant that space will shrink to drive C:,,,no it cannot be..Yes you make shrink to have additonal partion but to get the space into drive C is not..

Hope it will helpful to you..

Thnkas

04/ذو القعدة/1433 02:53 م
  • Thx for you
    27/صفر/1434 06:24 م
  • I encountered the same problem with you, but using partition wizard merge partitions fails, use another software AOMEI PA merge partitions successfully.
    • تم التحرير بواسطة saryli 16/شعبان/1434 10:36 ص easily link and download
    12/شعبان/1434 01:30 م
  • Thank you very much, it worked like a charm........

09/شوال/1434 05:57 ص
  • Thanks, worked perfectly.
    07/ذو القعدة/1434 10:43 م
  • I followed these steps and it was exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot!!!
    09/ذو القعدة/1434 02:12 ص
  • The Extend Option is disable for C:\ Drive and D:\ is in unallocated stat as after Delete
    For me too. I have one unlocated drive with 100MB and want that to extend to C:\ but don't know how.
    05/محرم/1435 10:27 ص
  • You can try Easeus partition master, it is a free partition software, and it will not damage your data and information during the process of partition.

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/partition-gpt-disk.htm

• تم التحرير بواسطة jiangchunli 11/صفر/1435 02:35 ص
    11/صفر/1435 02:35 ص
  • Thank you for your guys’ useful answers!

I recently also successfully add enough free space to my c drive with the help of a video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk

08/ربيع الثاني/1435 02:14 ص
  • Great. It helped solve the same issue. Stay blessed man?
    20/جمادى الأولى/1435 01:13 م