none
Windows 7 Explorer jump list disappeared

السؤال

• Hello there!

I've Windows Explorer pinned to the task bar. Until yesterday I've also had this jump list with the most important folders and the folders I pinned to Windows Explorer for myself. But now this Jump List has disappeared and I have no idea how to let it show up again. I've changed nothing to the system. How am I able to see the Jump List again?
    22/جمادى الثانية/1430 10:27 م

الإجابات

جميع الردود

• Arminio,

Just to be clear - when you right-click on the Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar, you now see only the option to run the program or Unpin it?

Here are three separate links for disabling taskbar jump lists , doing the same by way of group policy , and changing the number of items stored , respectively. I hope one of them can help you!
    -Alex
    22/جمادى الثانية/1430 11:47 م
  • Thanks Alex for your suggestions. I've worked myself to all three of them but norhing helped bringing the Jump List back. It simply is not shown at all. I've enabled all options I know of... Now even the "pin this to windows explorer" context option is gone away when right clicking on a folder within windows explorer... strange, isn't it?
    25/جمادى الثانية/1430 02:31 م
  • Is there any suggestion as to why this is disappearing?  I have had this happen in the last 2 days, which is really annoying.  If I manually open the pinned files, they go back to the recent list and I can pin them, but then they disappear, for no reason, in hours or minutes (not sure which as I do not watch my computer every single minute of the day).

Rebooting doesn't help and both of the disabling/re-enabling the options doesn't do anything for me, one way or another and the other options are not applicable to me.
    07/رمضان/1430 03:16 م
  • Mine is gone too. Happened in the last 3 days. No Windows update or software installation, just disappeared after a reboot. Menu now only says "Windows Explorer" and "Unpin ... "
    11/رمضان/1430 07:02 ص
  • I'm having this same issue.  It happened after I restarted after using CCleaner to clean my registry.  I think that may be the issue.  Does anyone know of any registry keys that enable the use of jump lists.

Also, I've noticed that reinstalling 3rd party apps that use jump lists (Google Chrome Dev) re-enables the jump lists for them.
    01/شوال/1430 07:31 م
  • If you're using CCleaner (as I do), this is why your jump lists are disappearing.
    To correct this, just open CCleaner, go to Cleaner--> Windows tab, and in the "Windows Explorer" section, deselect "Taskbar Jump Lists".
    03/شوال/1430 04:11 ص
  • Arminio,

Here are three separate links for disabling taskbar jump lists , doing the same by way of group policy , and changing the number of items stored , respectively. I hope one of them can help you!

I tried all the above but no success. My explorer and vlc jump list have changed only to unpin option.

However jump list of Media player,Visual Studio Etc are working fine..

Help Me out..
    03/شوال/1430 01:59 م
  • I donot use any CCleaner but the problem presist had tried all given solutions..
    03/شوال/1430 02:00 م
  • I have done that, and my "Recent" sections are now populating.  But I am still missing support for things such as "Favorites" in explorer and Windows Media Player control functionality.
    07/شوال/1430 01:45 ص
  • Same here,
    tried the solution, with no success. Jump lists are gone.
    08/شوال/1430 11:17 ص
  • Sigh.. add me to the list. I just restarted my computer today then noticed the exact problem you described. No idea why it occurred.

The only system configuration I had changed before restarting was the virtual memory settings.

I tried restoring the system to two days earlier, and to my amazement, the problem remained even after the restore. I ended up undoing the restore and have yet to find a solution for this. Very aggravating.
    12/شوال/1430 01:44 ص
  • I have the same problem and i've been looking for anywhere and there is not solution or reason neather. It just happens?
    13/شوال/1430 02:00 ص
  • It must be some file in the user account directory that is the source of the problem because a recovery didn't fix it. Recovery reverts the registry and system files, so it must be a user file that is the source of the problem.

Also new accounts do not have the jump list problem. So that also seems to indicate an account issue. If you can handle just making a new account and deleting your current one, that is one way to fix the issue. Personally my account is too highly customized.. I really don't want to delete it.
    13/شوال/1430 03:16 ص
  • On my PC it happened with all taskbar-pinned applications.

Reinstalling the application solves the problem for THAT application, but for Windows Explorer I don't know how to proceed.
    13/شوال/1430 07:48 ص
  • Hey guys, I finally fixed this problem. Luckily the fix is very simple and quick.

Run the latest CCleaner with everything un-checked except "Recent Documents" and "Taskbar Jump Lists" (I also checked "Other Explorer MRUs" but probably not necessary).

Make sure to uncheck everything in the Applications section unless you don't mind some files being deleted there.

Click Analyze and/or Run Cleaner and the problem is fixed (for me anyhow). Unfortunately all previous pins/recent items from all your taskbar jumplists will be purged, but.. you can now pin items to the explorer jump list again!!
    • تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Smagma 24/شوال/1430 07:56 ص
    24/شوال/1430 07:56 ص
  • Add me to the list. The jumplists, and ability to add or edit jumplists, is completely gone. Disappeared. Gonzo.

I came to rely on those jumplists and it takes me twice as many clicks now to get where I want to go. Like everyone else on this page, I have no idea what caused this problem or how to fix it. I'd guess one of the many OS updates did it, but where and what is the fix?
    Paul Pinella
    01/ذو القعدة/1430 01:10 ص
  • Thanks Carlos for the tips about CCleaner. I wondered why my jumplists were disappearing and now I know and know how to fix it since I use CCleaner regularly.
    15/ذو القعدة/1430 05:18 م
  • None of the above solutions worked for me, and I couldn't find help anywhere, so I decided to post what I did to workaround this w7 bug:

This process erases all the pinned items on all of your programs (you'll have to pin them again afterwards), but the functionality of the windows explorer jumplist will return to normal.

1. Delete all files at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    2. Delete all files at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations
    3. Reboot
    4. Re-pin all the items you wish

Good luck!
    • تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Miguel_pt 18/ذو القعدة/1430 10:07 ص
    18/ذو القعدة/1430 10:07 ص
  • It works for me!! Thank you!
    21/ذو القعدة/1430 05:07 ص
  • Thanks Miguel_pt (and other contributors!)

None of the solutions proposed in this thread work for me unfortunately.
    With AutomaticDestinations & CustomDestinations cleared the right facing arrow disappears from programs pinned to the Start menu.
    Programs (e.g. Excel) pinned to the Start menu stay there.
    Recent Items populates as normal.

Say I open and close an Excel file - the right facing arrow reappears next to the pinnned program in the start menu, indicating that a recently used file should be visible if I hover over the pinned program. But the file doesn't show.

I have tried removing all pinned items and re-pinning - no change - The Jump Lists are AWOL!

If any of you have spotted a solution elsewhere, I would be really grateful for some additional pointers ........

Strange problem to have in a much hyped (and useful) feature of W7.

All the best,
    • تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Night_watch53 05/ذو الحجة/1430 02:17 م
    25/ذو القعدة/1430 02:21 م
  • Hi All - I found this solution on another forum -
    "hmmm after so long, i finally discovered the culprit. I always remove the IsShortcut value in the lnkfile key in HKCR to remove the shortcut arrows, in Windows 7 it disabled the ability to pin programs to the taskbar, and the jumplist of the start menu..."

I had also removed the shortcut arrows. Re-enabling the (irritating) shortcut arrows gets the Jumplists working again.

I had been using Tweak Now Powerpack in my previous Vista installation, so when I transferred Settings to my W7 installation the "remove shortcut arrows" registry hack also transferred - causing the problem. Re-enabling the arrows also solved another irritating problem -

Desktop\Computer\Manage shortcut failed to open while the shortcut arrows were disabled. Now that function works again, so I can access the Computer Management from the Desktop again.

I guess that's a lesson in -
    1. Think about what you are doing when using Vista settings in W7.
    2. Always be cautious when using "Helper" apps on a new installation. I was guilty of installing several, that I came to rely on in Vista. What I should have done was install them one at a time; run each for a couple of weeks to check for issues before installing the next - and so on repeating the checking process as I went.
    3. The complexity of any OS - One "simple" change to the registry cascaded into several aparrently unrelated issues.

So I hope this helps some of you folks (and anyone else who finds this thread).
    • تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Night_watch53 05/ذو الحجة/1430 02:35 م
    05/ذو الحجة/1430 02:35 م
  • What I did to workaround this w7 bug:

This process erases all the pinned items on all of your programs (you'll have to pin them again afterwards), but the functionality of the windows explorer jumplist will return to normal.

1. Windows Explorer: Organize, to Folder and Search Options, View tab, Hidden Files and Folders ; Enable Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives .
    2. Delete all files at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    3. Delete all files at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations
    4. Reboot
    5. Re-pin all the items you wish

Good luck!

Edited first step, since without that enabled - nothing will be found in the two offending folders.
    Be sure to go back into Organize, to Folder and Search Options, View tab, Hidden Files and Folders and select Don't Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives after you're finished.

THIS WORKS! Thank You  :)
    06/ذو الحجة/1430 01:23 ص
  • Yeah, the above worked, and I didn't have to reboot either.

I thought I had carried out the procedure several days ago but it didn't work, but I did not put in the whole path
     %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    I just put in %APPDATA% then clicked around using explorer, but that gets you to a different folder.
    • تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Sarah W 29/ذو الحجة/1430 10:08 ص
    10/ذو الحجة/1430 01:14 م
  • The simpliest way is delete de files in
    , restart your Pc and thats all.

Chekc my blog for "step by step": http://bromerot.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E6F8F80C074BDD47!950.entry
    A programer is a digital artist.
    • تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة justmonkee 21/جمادى الأولى/1435 02:11 ص
    10/ذو الحجة/1430 08:45 م
  • Just delete the files in the folder:

R
    estart your PC, and begin (again) to use Explorer for save recent places.

You can see my "step by step" in my blog:

http://bromerot.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E6F8F80C074BDD47!950.entry

A programer is a digital artist.
    10/ذو الحجة/1430 08:52 م
  • Thank you so much! I didn't realise that you needed to put the whole path directly into Explorer, I also went to %APPDATA% and then tried to browse to the Recent folder but that doesn't work.

My Frequent and Pinned sections have now returned. Thanks so much to everyone who helped in this thread!
    29/ذو الحجة/1430 10:08 ص
  • So this just happened to me after 5 months of Win7x64 use. The AutomaticDestinations files deleting solved the problem, but the big question is, what was the real cause?  I do not clean jumplists with CCleaner.  I did not use any tweak tools or manual registry changes.  Only thing I installed was Silverlight 4 yesterday.  Did delete a few things off the Explorer jumplist that were no longer found (when prompted by Windows on selection).  Was using a folder with files that have "weird" characters in their filenames, maybe when it added that folder to the recent list it screwed it up (even though the folder itself has normal chars)?  I noticed the Explorer jumplist was gone shortly after that (but other apps' jumplist were all there).  Yet another Win7 quirk I guess. lol
    17/جمادى الأولى/1431 09:32 م
  • Ok, here is my problem. I was just tryin' to optimize my system using tools such as CCleaner, Glary Utilities and, unfortunately, WinFix; the last one, in fact, got a "Jumplist errors" fix, which I casually checked. The result is that in my "Recent" folder, "AutomaticDestinations" and "CustomDestination" are totally disappeared, so i cannot cling to the suggestions i found here, and I cannot see any recent folder in the Explorer tab, and, of course, I cannot pin none of them. I think the key could be working in the registry, but...how? Any suggestion? Thanks anyway, and sorry for my english, I hope I've been clear enough, anyway.
    18/جمادى الأولى/1431 02:11 م
  • Ok, here is my problem. I was just tryin' to optimize my system using tools such as CCleaner, Glary Utilities and, unfortunately, WinFix; the last one, in fact, got a "Jumplist errors" fix, which I casually checked. The result is that in my "Recent" folder, "AutomaticDestinations" and "CustomDestination" are totally disappeared, so i cannot cling to the suggestions i found here, and I cannot see any recent folder in the Explorer tab, and, of course, I cannot pin none of them. I think the key could be working in the registry, but...how? Any suggestion? Thanks anyway, and sorry for my english, I hope I've been clear enough, anyway.

I also do not have those folders.

Im still trying to resolve my problem, i have tried all listed above. Please Litrigol if you resolve yours post the answer, i will post mine if i do manage anything short of new account or reinstall windows.

thanks guys for all the tips!

03/جمادى الثانية/1431 10:04 ص
  • Today, my explorer jump list died for the second time; the first time was several months ago, and deleting "1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms" from the "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations" location had worked for me then. This time, even clearing the entire automatic and custom destination folders didn't help, so I started trying System Restore. After two different restore points didn't fix the explorer jump list (though they did fix the other jump lists I broke while trying to fix explorer), I looked at the "Previous Versions" properties tab for 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms to see if it had been saved in older system restore points. Previous Versions listed 11 saved versions of the file, so I intentionally restored the oldest. Lo and behold, my explorer jump list works again, and it even has an (outdated) recent folders list!
    09/جمادى الثانية/1431 06:58 م
  • More info on the problem: as long as the file "1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms" remains under 1400KB in size, the explorer jump list works fine. As soon as the file reaches 1400KB, the explorer jump list stops working. Whatever the real cause of this problem is, it seems to be based on the jump list database files being smaller than 1400KB.

Edit: Just to prove me wrong, my computer has started breaking the explorer jump list at 1399KB as well.

14/رجب/1431 11:04 م
  • Well, that worked at one time for jumplists. Restored the jumplist, but can't get pinning to work again. /grr

Been having issues with Outlook 2003 crashing, and in the rebuilding and deleting shortcuts, I removed Outlook 2003 from the taskbar thinking there might be an issue there.

Swear I should of *never* installed Outlook Connector - and removing Outlook connector hasn't made the problem go away either.

Anyhow, back to the pinning issue:

Every icon on the taskbar that is remaining as having been "pinned" has the "Close Window" or the "Unpin this program from taskbar", and the jump-lists have once again returned after revisitng this post's recommendations.

In the:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    There are five shortcuts, yet only three are working.

The shortcuts that are functional are:
    Firefox
    Windows Explorer
    Windows Live Mail

Yet the shortcuts that won't function are:
    iTunes
    Microsoft Office Outlook

If I open the properties of a working Outlook shortcut, then have it Open File Location, and right-click OUTLOOK program the "Unpin from Taskbar " or "Pin to Start Menu " appear.

Cant shift+right-click OUTLOOK and then "Pin to Taskbar " is seen. Yet clicking this, or doing:
    Left-click and drag to the taskbar, or right-click and drag to the Taskbar, and the allowable icon of Pin to Taskbar is shown, yet nothing ever gets displayed on the Taskbar. Even after rebooting!
    -- Which ever method only creates duplicates of Microsoft Office Outlook into the ""C:\Users\User's Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar " folder -- yet there's never a Microsoft Office Outlook actively displays on the taskbar.

So how does one fix Windows 7 x64's Taskbar to get a pinned program successfully "pinned "?

22/رجب/1431 02:53 ص
  •     Well, fixed my own issue by an obscure method.

1. Open Regedit.exe
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then to "lnkfile".
    3. Inside "lnkfile" on the right panel add a new String File named "IsShortcut".
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. You should now be able to pin to the Taskbar once again.
    6. Note: This fix adds the small shortcut icons back to your shortcuts. The user will have to decide which is more important: Pinning to the Taskbar or changing their Icons. The pinning feature relies on the shortcut link.
        Might want to add this to your Favorites inside Registry Editor for future reference.
    22/رجب/1431 06:14 ص
  • I have exactly the same problem.

My pinlist has 5 items in the explorer section, yet some of them just randomly disappear.

I dont use any cleaners or in fact do anything to anything that may break the pin list.

Looks like MS has a bug they need to fix.

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة hnang 19/شعبان/1431 03:21 م
    09/شعبان/1431 03:05 م
  • ---------------------------------

2 STEPS (cautious one)

---------------------------------

#1: Go to below location:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\

#2: Rename below file to any other name!

1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms

Thats all !

Now "Pin To Windows Explorer" works !!!

1 STEP:

# Run the below command in CMD , or delete the below file manually!

del %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms

Thats all !

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Jim Lewis 26/ذو الحجة/1431 07:41 م
    01/رمضان/1431 06:47 ص
  • Nice call. Oddly enough, those directories weren't visible in the recent folder within Windows Explorer and I was showing hidden and protected system hidden. I just drilled down to them from the command shell and gave it the old 'del /Q *' in each, then opened the Start Menu and ctrl+shift+right-clicked  the empty space between "run" and "shutdown" and chose "exit explorer", then went back to the cmd shell and ran a 'runas /user:"{MyComputerName}\{MyUserName}" explorer'. Explorer fired back up and voila, saved a reboot.
    15/شوال/1431 06:02 ص
  • Thank you for this answer, it worked for me nicely.  I wonder how you figured out that was the Explorer.exe Jumplist entry 

I figured it out

1. open up Process Monitor
    2. include explorer.exe in filter and search for the path 
    3. AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\
    This filters out only the entries that have explorer.exe jumplist.

The previous standard for fixing this issue would delete ALL jumplist entries and repopulate them, which is unnecessary.

I mainly am looking for answers in the following forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/office2010
    • تم التحرير بواسطة win7guru2013 28/ذو القعدة/1431 04:38 م added solution
    28/ذو القعدة/1431 04:44 ص
  • It worked! Finally! Thanks Miguel_pt. I did try to only delete the shortcuts for the windows explorer, but I had to delete all shortcuts for windows explorer's jump list to work again. Can Microsoft please fix this up so that I don't loose all of my shortcuts next time this happens.

25/ذو الحجة/1431 01:38 ص
  • Thanks!   Worked for me.  Didn't try Miguel's somewhat more involved solution but will if I discover anything's still broken.  Too bad there is not a way of saving or restoring pinned items if an overflowing Recently Used Items is just the culprit.

Jim Lewis

26/ذو الحجة/1431 07:41 م
  • Thanks!   Worked for me.  Didn't try Miguel's somewhat more involved solution but will if I discover anything's still broken.  Too bad there is not a way of saving or restoring pinned items if an overflowing Recently Used Items is just the culprit.

Jim Lewis

I think Miguel's method is overkill, just deleting 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms seems to do the job. If you want to recover the pinned items, you may be able to find a backup copy that still works using the "Previous Versions" properties page. If you can find a version that still works, you can take note of the paths you've pinned so that you can re-pin them if you find it necessary to delete 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms. For a while I've just been using Previous Versions to restore working versions of the jumplist file, but this method seems to become less effective the more you use it; each time I restore, the jumplist seems to last less time before breaking again.

Also, my previous suggestion that the jumplist breaks when 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms grows to around 1400KB apparently aren't universal. Now I'm breaking whenever I get to 1350KB.

06/محرم/1432 09:16 م
  • Thanks to all for this post. I have had this problem in the past and finally decided to find an answer. What worked for me was:

- Right click on the

'1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms'

file in this directory:

- Choose the 'Restore Previous Version' option in Windows 7

That's it. I didn't have to reboot. It restored an earlier version (1 week old) and just worked immediately.

I note that the current size of my 1b4...-ms file is 1,743 KB so there is no 1,400 KB barrier as another poster had thought.

I've had this problem many times with IE and other pinned apps from the early betas till today with the RTM 1+ year out. Definitely a bug MS needs to fix. ...Dale

UPDATE: Two days later the jump lists disappeared again. I attempted to restore the old file again, but alas, it didn't work the second time. Dang. Time to try something else.

• تم التحرير بواسطة Dajad 11/محرم/1432 05:57 م Update 2 days later when the solution didn't work the second time
    09/محرم/1432 07:12 م
  • Thanks mreddy2 , (*voted as helpful*)

this solves the issue on one of my Windows 7 machines, too.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    10/محرم/1432 03:43 م
  • Thanks to all for this post. I have had this problem in the past and finally decided to find an answer. What worked for me was:

- Right click on the

'1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms'

file in this directory:

- Choose the 'Restore Previous Version' option in Windows 7

That's it. I didn't have to reboot. It restored an earlier version (1 week old) and just worked immediately.

I note that the current size of my 1b4...-ms file is 1,743 KB so there is no 1,400 KB barrier as another poster had thought.

I've had this problem many times with IE and other pinned apps from the early betas till today with the RTM 1+ year out. Definitely a bug MS needs to fix. ...Dale

UPDATE: Two days later the jump lists disappeared again. I attempted to restore the old file again, but alas, it didn't work the second time. Dang. Time to try something else.

I copy below 2 files from my WHS backup to the respective directory.  It works!

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms
     %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\
    1b4dd67f29cb1962.costomDestinations-ms

WHS is ready!
    21/محرم/1432 04:29 ص
  • Jump list bug fix.

Let's take this slowly for those not too familiar with jargon and knowing their way around a computer, it will solve your problem.

1. Copy the next line to the paste board, [highlight it in blue by dragging the cursor across the line from left to right, press and hold Ctrl then press C - release both.]

2. Open any Internet Explorer Folder.

3. In the address bar at the top, you will see an icon, usually yellow and blue by default, at the left hand end.

4. Click on that icon which will highlight everything in the address bar in blue.

5. Press and hold Ctrl then press V - release both, this will paste the line you previously copied, into the address bar.

6. Click the blue arrow at the end of the address bar.

7. A folder will have opened up, C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations.

8. Locate the file with the name - 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms - probably the first one displayed in the folder.

9. Delete this.

Enjoy the Jump Lists once again. I find them extremely useful.

13/صفر/1432 11:40 ص
  • Jump list bug fix.

Let's take this slowly for those not too familiar with jargon and knowing their way around a computer, it will solve your problem.

1. Copy the next line to the paste board, [highlight it in blue by dragging the cursor across the line from left to right, press and hold Ctrl then press C - release both.]

2. Open any Internet Explorer Folder.

3. In the address bar at the top, you will see an icon, usually yellow and blue by default, at the left hand end.

4. Click on that icon which will highlight everything in the address bar in blue.

5. Press and hold Ctrl then press V - release both, this will paste the line you previously copied, into the address bar.

6. Click the blue arrow at the end of the address bar.

7. A folder will have opened up, C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations.

8. Locate the file with the name - 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms - probably the first one displayed in the folder.

9. Delete this.

Enjoy the Jump Lists once again. I find them extremely useful.

Thanks, this works for me. It's a bug for sure.

(I wasn't even ware of this problem, until a worker asked me about his missing Jump List.)

13/صفر/1432 02:29 م
  • Rename below file to any other name!
    Thanks! That's much better than indiscriminately trashing all jump lists.

The approach works with other programs as well. In my case, Notepad's jump list inexplicably stopped showing any pinned or recent items. To fix the problem, I simply renamed the corresponding 9b9cdc69c1c24e2b.automaticDestinations-ms file, and the jump list immediately reset. I didn't have to touch the CustomDestinations folder.

FYI: To identify the correct jump list file for any program in general, see my post here: Jump List History Location?
    23/صفر/1432 03:16 ص
  • @ Eric Georgiades

Just make a new folder called "Recent" in

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\

Then within it create another folder called "AutomaticDestinations" in

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\

Close any open explorer windows and reopen

I found that creating the folder solves all my problems regarding being able to pin anything

and

that windows automatically creates another subfolder in "Recent" called "CustomDestinations" that it needs for the pinning and all.

Hope this helps everyone!

05/ربيع الثاني/1432 12:33 ص
  • Thanks you very much!!!!
    You're a genius,
    I had a month trying to find a solution to it,
    And you're the only success...
    24/شعبان/1432 11:35 م
  • Thanks Miguel, I followed your advice and it worked well.  Thanks very much!
    26/شعبان/1432 05:02 ص
  • Worked great!  You don't need to reboot just open task manager (ctrl+Shift+esc) and force quit explorer.exe.  Then still in task manager go to file/run and type Explorer.exe and OK
    27/شعبان/1432 08:17 م
  •  

1 STEP:

# Run the below command in CMD , or delete the below file manually!

del %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms

Thats all !

Renaming doe`n`t work (maybe it stuck in cache?), but I put in a older backupcopy and - it worked! You made my day guys!!!
    11/رمضان/1432 10:48 ص
  • Your tip helped solve a very aggravating problem. I had forgotten that I had used Wintools to remove my

shortcut arrows. Thanks you very much!

09/شوال/1432 02:15 م
  • Microsoft have yesterday (25 Oct 2011) released an *Optional* update for Windows 7 to fix this problem.

More information is at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2607576

Hope this helps someone!

28/ذو القعدة/1432 08:16 ص
  • I am happy to announce that an update that fixes a problem with jump lists has been recently released for Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, Server 2008 R2 and Server 2008 R2 SP1. You can install it through Windows Update (it should be automatically offered to you) or get it manually here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2607576
    Hope this helps,
    Alexander Sklar
    Software Development Lead - Microsoft Corporation
    This posting is provided "as is", with no warranties and confers no rights. 
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Alexander SklarEditor 15/ذو الحجة/1432 06:36 ص
    15/ذو الحجة/1432 06:36 ص
    المجيب على الأسئلة
  • I had this problem over a year ago. It was apparently fixed by an update. It just happened again. Now I can't even repopulate the jumplist.
    21/ربيع الأول/1433 12:35 ص
  • I have download this KB and attempted to install. I get a notification that the KB is already installed. I lose my jump list about once a week. Is thier a way to remove the KB and reinstall?/ or any other suggestions. I have changed user profiles.
    21/ربيع الأول/1433 08:52 م
  • I am having this same issue as well.  I also tried to download the KB and my system says that it is already installed.  I have lost my windows explorer jump list completely.  I thought this bug had been fixed.
    03/ربيع الثاني/1433 04:11 م
  • Jump Lists just don't work reliably at all. I just try to pin two documents to the same program, and Windows only shows one of them. I delete allt he custom destinations and automatic destinations, and I get the same result. Only the one I most recently try to pin stays in the menu.

It's like trying to wrestle a pig.

24/ربيع الثاني/1433 03:51 م
  • Genius! I have been battling this jumplist problem for so long without a solution. Tried variety of things. This was such a simply and clean way. Thank you so much for this post. It works. 
    05/جمادى الثانية/1433 02:12 م
  • I went through the installation process, and was simply told "This update not applicable to your computer." And I still have the problem.
    28/صفر/1434 06:12 م
  • Run the following commands at command prompt.

del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\*

del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\*

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

• تم التحرير بواسطة Kishoreravi 30/رمضان/1434 03:37 ص
    30/رمضان/1434 03:35 ص