none
Windows 7 detects usb external drive but does not assign a drive letter

السؤال

• Got a 1TB Seagate in a Kingwin EZ dock station. When I connect it to windows 7 I can see it is connected by the usb with check mark icon in the task bar.

However as I didn't see any additional drives I went into Disk Management and this is what I get:

Disk 2 has no drive lettersRight clicking shows that most actions are disable (I am logged in as Administrator)

All disabled

I hope someon got a suggestion to a solution to this.

Thanks

Mogens

PS: The EZ dock is not the problem as it is new and working fine with a WD caviar drive.

06/جمادى الثانية/1433 10:01 م

جميع الردود

• Hi,

It seems to be a driver problem. To manually assign drive letter will resolve this issue. I suggest you to reinstall the USB driver and check it again.  Meanwhile, you could have a hardware troubleshooting.

Windows Troubleshooting – Windows 7 features
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-troubleshooting

If the issue persists, you’d better contact the manufacture for assistance.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

10/جمادى الثانية/1433 04:40 ص
  • Just a thought, is the 1TB Seagate new & is there any data on it? You could infact delete the volume & next format it & create partition. Have you try it yet?

Once you done the above, windows should be assign a drive letter

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

10/جمادى الثانية/1433 03:46 م
  • Thank you for the response.

I didn't think of a driver problem as it works with the WD caviar drive but it is worth a try.

12/جمادى الثانية/1433 01:02 ص
  • It is my backup drive so valuable ;)

I actually had a drive fail on a different machine which is why I am now trying to get to the backup.

12/جمادى الثانية/1433 01:04 ص
  • It is my backup drive so valuable ;)

I actually had a drive fail on a different machine which is why I am now trying to get to the backup.

If the data is of important to you, you might want to took out the 1 TB HD from it's casing & install it as slave & next try backing up the data

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

12/جمادى الثانية/1433 03:58 م