none
Windows 7 Pro - Explorer waits Infinately within 30 secs after login

Dotaz

• Within 30 secs after login every process related to Explorer.exe (the windows GUI) becomes unresponsive & just displays a spinning wait icon.
    I can't click the Start Menu (it is busy) as are all the icons at the bottom of the screen.
    ALT-TAB will not swap between the apps & just leaves the visual "swapp between these icons" painted on the screen.
    ALT-CTRL-DEL immediatedly works letting me start Start Task Mgr (but it starts hung, It never paints & just shows the hourglass on a big white background). I can easily Log-off, or switch to another user. BUt all users show the same symptoms. Admin or Normal Users same issue.  

However: Every process I managed to start in the first 30 secs continues to work fine. eg: An MSN popup displayed that I had new email, I could click on it & it started IE, which allowed me to read my email. All Office apps work fine.

The Disk, CPU, Network & RAM are all barely used, it is not waiting for resources. I even had music playing perfectly in the background. If this were a server, all would be fine.

This system is a new DELL Studio XPS 435T/9000, 6GB, Mirror drives running 64bit Win 7 Professional RTM (via MSDN). This is a very new system.  It has only been built for 5 days, this started happending 3 days ago.  It has very few apps loaded (eg: Office, Adobe & CA Antivirus)

Troubleshooting Steps
    I have run ChkDsk (on reboot) & Disk Defrag. Both had no problems.  
    I have run all H/W Diagnostics (all Passed)

If I stop all processes using System Configuration (Diagnostic Startup) this avoids the issue. (but almost nothing else works as most services haven't started) 
     But I can't seem to isolate the cause to one specific component / DLL / Driver.

Any tips on what process Explorer would "wait indefinately for a response" from & which doesn't start immediately would be most apprieciated.
    I speculate that it is attempting to start somthing which hangs on start.

Weirdly if I prevent all the Services starting & just start the BOOT apps it doesn't hang so I suspect a Service, but could be wrong.

David Lean The Voice of SQL
    12. října 2009 4:31

Odpovědi

• I believe I've resolved this. My problem has gone away but due the the slow process I took I'm not 100% confident I can pinpoint the exact cause.
    My strong suspicions are: TMRG's “RelevantKnowledge” service. I have now uninstalled this.
    This service had a start-up type of "Automatic (Delayed Start)". It was only 32bit & this is a 64bit implementation. And it is one of these slimy backdoor cross-marketing installs which install themselves when you think you are only installing something else eg: like the Google Toolbar when you are installing Adobe Reader.
    This application is doing nothing for you, it is monitoring all that you do, consuming your PC resources & bandwidth so that someone else can sell thie information as Market Research. I removed it, I leave you to decide on the merits of keeping it on your PC.   

Be aware of the Win 7 feature Menu => All Programs => Administrative Tools => System Configuration. It is brilliant.
    In one click you can turn off every Service & Startup application. I could then slowly enable groups of services & restart to see if the problem reoccurred. Gradually narrowing down the cause.

On turning off UAC.
       Thanks for your suggestion. But this is something I'd never do. My theory is that (a) The web is littered with people with really obscure bugs, all of which have started with "I turned off UAC" & (b) The Vista team were really proud of the work they did to make Windows more secure. They made a big fuss of it at launch. Clearly they expected everyone to use it as it was built deep into the OS. How much testing do you think they did with it disabled? My guess was not a lot, which might explain all the issues people experience with it turned off. And/or changed their environment with it off & then turned back on again.

I too had a few issues with UAC when I first played with Vista, until it dawned on me that it was similar to Windows NT or UNIX security. That I could not "just flip the Read-Only bit " on a file but had to change the security via ACL's & Groups.  Once you treat it like that, security is a non-issue & UAC becomes invisible, as it should be.

So my recommendation would be instead of disabling UAC service, try putting everyone in Administrator group. (not a good idea but better than turning it off.

Thanks for your assistance, I hope my reply helps you.

12. října 2009 23:59

Všechny reakce

• Dave, have you tried turning off UAC?  I am in a domain environment and my drives won't map if its on, plus I get hung at the Welcome screen for an indefinite time.  There is a workaround for this, involves a registry entry.  My symptoms don't sound like yours exactly though.  It sounds like you actually get a desktop, whereas I don't.  Give it a shot anyway I guess...

KB937624  Its for Vista, but the EXACT same thing happens with Windows 7 unless I add this entry to the registry.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    12. října 2009 20:29
  • I believe I've resolved this. My problem has gone away but due the the slow process I took I'm not 100% confident I can pinpoint the exact cause.
    My strong suspicions are: TMRG's “RelevantKnowledge” service. I have now uninstalled this.
    This service had a start-up type of "Automatic (Delayed Start)". It was only 32bit & this is a 64bit implementation. And it is one of these slimy backdoor cross-marketing installs which install themselves when you think you are only installing something else eg: like the Google Toolbar when you are installing Adobe Reader.
    This application is doing nothing for you, it is monitoring all that you do, consuming your PC resources & bandwidth so that someone else can sell thie information as Market Research. I removed it, I leave you to decide on the merits of keeping it on your PC.   

Be aware of the Win 7 feature Menu => All Programs => Administrative Tools => System Configuration. It is brilliant.
    In one click you can turn off every Service & Startup application. I could then slowly enable groups of services & restart to see if the problem reoccurred. Gradually narrowing down the cause.

On turning off UAC.
       Thanks for your suggestion. But this is something I'd never do. My theory is that (a) The web is littered with people with really obscure bugs, all of which have started with "I turned off UAC" & (b) The Vista team were really proud of the work they did to make Windows more secure. They made a big fuss of it at launch. Clearly they expected everyone to use it as it was built deep into the OS. How much testing do you think they did with it disabled? My guess was not a lot, which might explain all the issues people experience with it turned off. And/or changed their environment with it off & then turned back on again.

I too had a few issues with UAC when I first played with Vista, until it dawned on me that it was similar to Windows NT or UNIX security. That I could not "just flip the Read-Only bit " on a file but had to change the security via ACL's & Groups.  Once you treat it like that, security is a non-issue & UAC becomes invisible, as it should be.

So my recommendation would be instead of disabling UAC service, try putting everyone in Administrator group. (not a good idea but better than turning it off.

Thanks for your assistance, I hope my reply helps you.

12. října 2009 23:59
  • I agree on the UAC item.  I only meant as in a testing scenario.  I am running it turned all the way up to high.  Honestly I really don't understand the resistance to UAC and the popup it brings.  Then again, I have used linux in the past and developers on that side go even further with security and require your username in addition to your password in some cases.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    14. října 2009 20:01
  • RelevantKnowledge is research software installed with the user's permission. RelevantKnowledge is part of an online market research community with over 2 million members worldwide. By participating in periodic surveys, users can receive free select software sponsored by RelevantKnowledge. If a user decides to uninstall the program for any reason, they can do so through control panel. We provide instruction for uninstalling RelevantKnoweldge in the FAQ section of our website: http://www.relevantknowledge.com/faq.aspx. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at https://www.relevantknowledge.com/supportform.aspx

Thank you,

Relevant Knowledge Support Team
    16. června 2012 20:39