none
Offline Files - XP to 7 Migration and Differences

Dotaz

• Specific Questions:

• In XP, if offline files are in sync with server, what kind of data resides in the Cache folder? (e.g. most recently used?)
    • in XP, if offline files are in sync with server, do we need to migrte Cache folder data?
    • If offline files are in sync with server and we do not migrate the cache folder what will happen when user login to Windows 7 system first time?

In short, what will the network impact be if we don't migrate the CSC from XP to 7?

I know that USMT won't migrate the CSC by default, and I think I know how to turn it on. But I need to justify turning it on before we do it.

The following is a good reference, but it doesn't really answer the questions. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff633429(v=ws.10)

Thanks,

--Jim

11. června 2012 11:56

Odpovědi

• More from MS support:

"...migrating/copying CSC folder from Windows XP to Windows 7 is not recommended.

"CSC folder is a special folder and only system has permission. Client Side Caching is completely re-written in Vista and Windows 7 and copying the CSC from XP to Windows 7 may cause CSC corruption and thus data loss.

"There are lot of changes done to Windows Vista and Windows 7 and migrating the CSC database in a production environment is really a risk. Nobody has tried this before and we can’t predict what could be the outcome.

"One of the major changes is how the Cache is accessed and synchronized on XP and Windows 7. On Windows XP when the users sync the share, it will synchronize all the files in the cache even though the users doesn’t have permission whereas Vista on-wards, CSC will sync only the files which user has permission. Another major changes related to CSC cache is how files are encrypted.  Offline Files in Windows XP offers the ability to encrypt your local cache, but the encryption can only occur within the context of the local system. Offline Files in Windows Vista offers enhanced security by encrypting each file in the local cache by using each user's local certificate.

"So, it is not recommended to copy/Migrate the CSC folder from Windows XP to Windows 7."

• Označen jako odpověď Jim Achuff 26. června 2012 11:05
    26. června 2012 11:04

Všechny reakce

• Hi,

When you login to Windows 7 first time, there is no offline files cache on the computer. Therefore, the offline files are not available. After you access the shared folder and make it offline, then the CSC folder will be created.

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

13. června 2012 6:00
  • Thanks for the reply Niki...the question though deals with folders that are already offline on an XP system that is migrating to 7. I want to minimize the network impact by possibly migrating the client side cache, but I am not sure whether doing so will have a positive, negative or neutral effect on network traffic. My theories include:

1. Huge imapct: Migrating the CSC will not work and all offline content that was on the XP system will redownload from the server causing gigs of data to traverse the network.
    2. Medium Impact: Migrating the CSC will work but every file in the CSC will be checked against the server copy causing some amount of data to traverse the network.
    3. Minimal impact: Migrating the CSC will work, all offline folders will migrate to 7 and no additional network traffic will be generated.
    4. Zero impact: Migrating the CSC is not necessary because although the links to shared folders will migrate, the CSC will be recreated on the fly as users access the network resources.

If I expect to be able to migrate tens or hundreds of machines from XP to 7 at a shot, 4 is the most desirable, 3 will require some tweaking of the source systems, 2 is tolerable but 1 is undesirable, especially for locations whose network resources exist across a slow WAN link.

--Jim

13. června 2012 11:12
  • Hi,

We can use the following registry key and set its value to 1 to migrate the entire Offline Files cache:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parameters\MigrationParameters

DWORD = 1

This setting is not preserved, so you need to reset it each time you upgrade the computer.

Regards,

Denny

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

16. června 2012 15:42
  • Denny,

Thanks for replying. I do know how to turn migration of the CSC on...my question is more along the lines of "should I?" and "What is the impact of doing so?"

I did not know that the setting is not preserved though...thanks for that tidbit.

--Jim

19. června 2012 19:36
  • Hi,

I think minimum impact can be accomplished if we migrate the entire CSC cache. Zero impact is not feasible becasue if we do not migrate the cache, the offline files will be downloaded again when we access the share.

Regards,

Denny

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

23. června 2012 10:45
  • Denny,

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I did open a call with MS Support. Their resolution follows:

-We confirmed that CSC is machine specific and we will not be able to migrate it.

-As in your environment the home directory is configured to be offline via group policy, the data transfer to the cache from the network will happen at the first logon.

-Our recommendation would be to perform the user migration in batches.

Note that this seems to refer specifically to folder redirection and not offline files, but it appears that even if we migrate the CSC, Windows will recreate it from scratch on first login. If this is indeed the case, then that really sucks for offices with no local server and a slow WAN link.

I'd love to find out this is wrong...

25. června 2012 13:24
  • More from MS support:

"...migrating/copying CSC folder from Windows XP to Windows 7 is not recommended.

"CSC folder is a special folder and only system has permission. Client Side Caching is completely re-written in Vista and Windows 7 and copying the CSC from XP to Windows 7 may cause CSC corruption and thus data loss.

"There are lot of changes done to Windows Vista and Windows 7 and migrating the CSC database in a production environment is really a risk. Nobody has tried this before and we can’t predict what could be the outcome.

"One of the major changes is how the Cache is accessed and synchronized on XP and Windows 7. On Windows XP when the users sync the share, it will synchronize all the files in the cache even though the users doesn’t have permission whereas Vista on-wards, CSC will sync only the files which user has permission. Another major changes related to CSC cache is how files are encrypted.  Offline Files in Windows XP offers the ability to encrypt your local cache, but the encryption can only occur within the context of the local system. Offline Files in Windows Vista offers enhanced security by encrypting each file in the local cache by using each user's local certificate.

"So, it is not recommended to copy/Migrate the CSC folder from Windows XP to Windows 7."

• Označen jako odpověď Jim Achuff 26. června 2012 11:05
    26. června 2012 11:04