none
Restoring media library

Dotaz

• I have a media library that contains a lot of metadata that cannot be written directly to the files and I am getting quite a few 0 byte file sizes in WMP. I searched and found that I can use Restore Media Library to rebuild my database and the file sizes will be correctly displayed. I have not tried it yet as I cannot lose my metadata, retyping it all would be an onerous task at the very least. I had assumed that since I have an external NTFS drive there would be an option to either write the metadata to an alternate data stream (after all that's what they're for) or to at least export the metadata and import it after the rebuild. Apparently Microsoft has not included this option although I have found thousands of thread in various boards asking for that functionality. I have backed up the database from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player but if WMP deletes my metadata and I have to restore the original DB I am obviously no further ahead. So since there seems to be very very little documentation and Microsoft seems oblivious to user requests concerning the dysfunctional library software my question is Are there plans to add this to a future version of WMP or should I just scrap the software and get one of the open source projects that actually have real library management. Of course that would also involve re-entering all of the metadata but at least I would only have to do it once.
    11. dubna 2012 15:33

Odpovědi

• Hi,

Actually, media library is a list of your media folders of files.  The folders and files are located at different physical paths. We may add one folder into media library.(right-click folder->Include in library)

You may backup CurrentDatabase_XXX.wmdb and wmpfolders.wmdb in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player.

Thank you for your feedback and research.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

13. dubna 2012 7:07

Všechny reakce

• Hi,

Actually, media library is a list of your media folders of files.  The folders and files are located at different physical paths. We may add one folder into media library.(right-click folder->Include in library)

You may backup CurrentDatabase_XXX.wmdb and wmpfolders.wmdb in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player.

Thank you for your feedback and research.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

13. dubna 2012 7:07
  • Thanks very much for your time Ivan-Liu,

I do understand how the media library is structured and where the database is located, however it seems that somebody marked your response as an answer when it did not address any of my questions, rather it simply stated the obvious, that the media itself is not stored in the database, this much I already knew. I am beginning to reverse engineer the database structure (not the software, just my data) in order to have import/export functions for metadata. This is seriously something that Microsoft should have made part of the software from the beginning, it is a glaring omission usually found only in amateurish software, not the normally high quality packages we have come to expect from Microsoft. At any rate, I have begun to extract the metadata and store it in an alternate data stream with the file itself, this seems to have no affect on playback and will attach the metadata directly to the file in order to have a true rebuild option for WMP, this is the only realizable solution to the problem of files that do not have metadata tags available in their structure.

14. dubna 2012 3:00
  • Why can't the metadata be directly written to file? As long as the format of your music properly supports it, writing metadata shouldn't be a problem.

The Metadata Backup tool can export all metadata in the media library to an XML file and import it back.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

14. dubna 2012 19:31
  • Why can't the metadata be directly written to file? As long as the format of your music properly supports it, writing metadata shouldn't be a problem.

The Metadata Backup tool can export all metadata in the media library to an XML file and import it back.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

You're assuming that the media is music, it is actually avi video files (without the facility for a tag since they have no INFO chunk) I want available on my DLNA network. I don't want to have to convert all of my files (there are several hundred) or add INFO to each file in order to overcome a deficiency in WMP, it is easier just to write software to extract the data from the database and write a tag to the ADS. Thanks for the link to the XML back up tool, I'll take a look at it.
    15. dubna 2012 15:39