none
Windows 7 Hard Drive "power on/off" damaging?

Dotaz

• Since I've had Windows 7 RC installed. I've had 3 hard drive failures.

The first one was a western digital 250gb 7200rpm drive that was 2 years old. After a computer restart it started the clicking noises and ended up not being recognized in the BIOS.
    I removed it.

I replaced it with another western digital that was 500gb and 7200rpm. It is new and after 2 weeks, it made clicking noises after a restart, with the audible sound of it "powering on and off" during boot after post, and sometimes was detected in Bios and sometimes not.
    I removed it.

I have a new segate 640gb 7200rpm drive that is less than 1 week old, and after experiencing windows 7 take 1 minute to go from sign in to displaying the background then 40 seconds to display the icons, then another 4 minutes to load 4 programs in the system tray that are a part of startup.

This used to take about 37 seconds total.

I checked the read  speed of the hard drive and it is at 3.3mb/s

That is not good. I also used this program HD Tune Pro to scan for damaged blocks. And there are a few damaged blocks.

I am coming to the conclusion that the Windows 7 power options by default whereas it turns off your hard drives when idle and turns them back on, is actually causing damage.

I need to know if my claim is accurate or not. Because this isn't software interacting in the way of read or write, but actually powering on devices and turning them off.

I have lost 3 hard drives in less than 2 months.

I would like to figure this out.

Also I had a kernal_data stop error bluse screen with the cause being ntfs.sys recently.

• Upravený Tim29 2. července 2009 14:21 added information
    2. července 2009 14:19

Odpovědi

• Hi Tim

The only way that the hard drive could be powered down would be if it was set to do that in the Control Panel/Power Options.

When you open the Power Options, click the Change Plan Settings in the power plan that is selected and look at each one of options there to make sure that none are set to power down the hard drive or anything else on the system.

The long boot times may have something to do with what you have selected to startup when the system boots.

Let us know what you find.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

3. července 2009 4:50
    Moderátor

Všechny reakce

• Hi Tim

The only way that the hard drive could be powered down would be if it was set to do that in the Control Panel/Power Options.

When you open the Power Options, click the Change Plan Settings in the power plan that is selected and look at each one of options there to make sure that none are set to power down the hard drive or anything else on the system.

The long boot times may have something to do with what you have selected to startup when the system boots.

Let us know what you find.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

3. července 2009 4:50
    Moderátor
  • Same problem as you, I had a WD hardrive for 2 years and it was working sweet, after I installed win7 suddenly it got completely useless making strong noises. I bought a brand new seagate 320 gb HD and I installed windows 7 again, it was working for a month, defragmenting it once a week, then slowly the cursor was kind of doing something but for like 2 minutes by clock, and since then that was happening every 1 minute not allowing me to continue working. I downloaded the seagate utility and ran the long test and it failed, right now I am formating the drive again but it is alrady making noises and some bad blocks already found at the begining of the format process. Now I am scared to buy another drive and install windows 7 on it. You and me are not the frst ones having this problem, I have read some other posts on the web about this subject. So please Microsoft analyze this and please check if there is something wrong cos win7 is so good but if it damage hard drives then is not possible to use it.

Thanks

19. dubna 2010 19:53
  • I had a drive do this, it was like every minute , eventually the drive stopped working. I found out it was the power supply causing the problems I replaced the power supply, then I tried the failed drive just for the heck of it. The drive was back I reformatted it. I have a few bad sectors on it, but I am still able to use the drive and no sounds from the drive with windows 7.

6. června 2012 15:45
  • Hi Tim29, this is not a problem related to Windows 7. Your power supply is faulty. Or the SATA power cable has a problem like sulphur maybe coated on the terminals. I had this problem and it is very common with power supplies on humid areas with high temperatures. And I am very much sure your second hard drive is still alive. Because my old Seagate 80 GB SATA HDD was causing the same problem and I thought the HDD was gone. But to my surprise, I checked a different SATA power connector and the HDD was working good as new with no bad sectors. Then I cleaned all the connectors of my power supply with lemon and washed it and the system was back good as new. 7200 RPM drives will have problems. I have a Western Digital 1 TB Green SATA II HDD and it never failed most probably because it does not need high power as the 7200 RPM ones. So I suggest you try all your HDDs in a friend's computer or borrow a power supply from someone and check it in your system. Best of luck.
    6. června 2012 20:56