none
What are the Maximum limits for Using Ready Boost

Dotaz

• Hi,

I have an Acer Laptop 4 gig ram memory and i m tweaking daily .   My laptop seems not to be powerfull enough to

work  properly so i plugged in a USB stick  and used the full 4 GIG for Ready Boost just to prevent Ram mem issues

This worked so i decided to buy 2 more USB sticks one 4 gig and another 8 gigs.

Now i have a Windows 7 Premium laptop with 3 USB sticks plugged these are used for READY boost.

But i don t feel that the second and third stick with ready boost bettered any of my results.... After i used Ready boost with my first USB stick it really bettered some things.

But i wonder is this making any sense plugging in 3 usb sticks for Ready Boost?

Or should i stick with one Ready boost plug in ?

tom_van_broeckhoven@hotmail.com

13. března 2012 10:35

Odpovědi

• Windows 7 does support multiple usb devices for readyboost up to 8 i believe?

and you should see a s light improvement with 3 plugged in as it would use a configuration similair to raid 0 however, having the extra 16gb flash drives (in total) plugged in is not the same as having an extra 16 gig of physical memory. Windows will only use the flash drives when it is sufficient to do so , this means that the first usb device you plugged into utilizing 4gb of readyboost memory might be more than enough for the operating to dump and read the files it needs and this is why you saw an instant improvement when plugging in the first usb device however if the 4gb was more than enough for the OS to dump and read the cached files plugging extra usb flash drives will not show much improvements as there not needed.

im quite bad at explaining things sometimes so hopefully this made sense

• Označen jako odpověď 7 player 13. března 2012 17:51
    13. března 2012 14:42
  • Some universal serial bus (USB) storage devices contain both slow and fast flash memory, and Windows can only use fast flash memory to speed up your computer. So if your device contains both slow and fast memory, keep in mind that you can only use the fast memory portion for this purpose.

The recommended amount of memory to use for Windows ReadyBoost acceleration is one to three times the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed in your computer. For instance, if your computer has 512 megabytes (MB)  of RAM and you plug in a 4 gigabyte (GB) USB flash drive, setting aside from 512 MB to 1.5 GB of that drive will offer the best performance boost. The minimum size for any USB flash drive to work with Windows ReadyBoost is 256 MB.

Carey Frisch

13. března 2012 15:54

Všechny reakce

• Windows 7 does support multiple usb devices for readyboost up to 8 i believe?

and you should see a s light improvement with 3 plugged in as it would use a configuration similair to raid 0 however, having the extra 16gb flash drives (in total) plugged in is not the same as having an extra 16 gig of physical memory. Windows will only use the flash drives when it is sufficient to do so , this means that the first usb device you plugged into utilizing 4gb of readyboost memory might be more than enough for the operating to dump and read the files it needs and this is why you saw an instant improvement when plugging in the first usb device however if the 4gb was more than enough for the OS to dump and read the cached files plugging extra usb flash drives will not show much improvements as there not needed.

im quite bad at explaining things sometimes so hopefully this made sense

13. března 2012 14:42
  • Some universal serial bus (USB) storage devices contain both slow and fast flash memory, and Windows can only use fast flash memory to speed up your computer. So if your device contains both slow and fast memory, keep in mind that you can only use the fast memory portion for this purpose.

The recommended amount of memory to use for Windows ReadyBoost acceleration is one to three times the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed in your computer. For instance, if your computer has 512 megabytes (MB)  of RAM and you plug in a 4 gigabyte (GB) USB flash drive, setting aside from 512 MB to 1.5 GB of that drive will offer the best performance boost. The minimum size for any USB flash drive to work with Windows ReadyBoost is 256 MB.

Carey Frisch

13. března 2012 15:54
  • Hi all,

Thanks very much for these answers.

Is there a way for me to find out if these USB sticks have slow or fast memory?

I will do a search on  USB device properties rightl click and then try to find it anyway....

Regards and have a nice evening

tom_van_broeckhoven@hotmail.com

13. března 2012 17:58