none
Bug with Effective Permissions tool in Windows 7.

    Obecná diskuse

  • Hi Win7 team,

    I think I've found a bug in Win7 (RTM) which worried me for the past couple of hours!

    I was checking our file shares for any permission violations using the Effective Permissions tool on my Win7 desktop, and found that certain users who shouldn't have permissions are being reported as Full Control. When viewing these NTFS permissions on the win2k8 file server using Effective Permissions the tool reports no access (as it should). I have tried this on win2k3 and XP machines and Effective Permissions reports the correct permissions. On multiple Win7 clients the EP tool is reporting in correct values.

    Can you please confirm that this is indeed a bug, or will there be a permissions issue if I deploy Win7 to my clients?

    Regards,
    Matt Shadbolt
    http://mattlog.net
    7. října 2009 22:47

Všechny reakce

  • Hi Mattshadbolt,

    Thank you for reporting it.

    Unfortunately, I cannot repro it on my side. Could you please offer a detail steps to reproduce the issue on a new folder? In the same time, please let me know if the issue occurs on all folders or a specific folder/scenario.

    Thank you for your cooperation.
    9. října 2009 7:23
  • Hi Robinson,

    Yes the issue occurs with new dirs. Do you want to contact me off-list and I can supply screen shots?

    email me mshadbolt [AT] lincolnindicators.com.au

    Cheers.
    Matt.
    11. října 2009 23:25
  • Hi Robinson,

    Yes the issue occurs with new dirs. Do you want to contact me off-list and I can supply screen shots?

    email me mshadbolt [AT] lincolnindicators.com.au

    Cheers.
    Matt.

    Sorry for delay.

    Could you please upload the screenshots to Skydrive and let us know the URLs?

    Thanks.
    19. října 2009 5:28
  • Hi Robinson,

    I've attached two images - one is on a Windows 7 client, the other is via the 2008 server. For some reason the Effective Permissions are being reported incorrectly on the client.

    <iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:205px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-6ef30dd3f20a61dd.skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Documents/Client.png"></iframe>

    <iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:205px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-6ef30dd3f20a61dd.skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Documents/server.png"></iframe>

    Cheers,
    Matt.
    19. října 2009 6:20
  • Hi Mattshadbolt,

    I did several tests and it works fine.

    However, I will report this issue to our feedback team as a potential bug report.

    Thank you for your cooperation.

    :D
    22. října 2009 8:04
  • Thanks Robinson,

    As you can see from the pics the dirs are exactly the same - one being accessed locally the other via network. Might also mention this is EBS.

    Cheers,
    Matt.
    27. října 2009 1:44
  • Hi Matt

    Sorry realise this is a realy old post but have just come across exactlly the same issue and was wondering if anything ever came of this. Did you manage to get a response.

    CHEERS

    Dan

    22. února 2012 15:13
  • I am having the exact same issue.
    7. června 2012 17:34