none
Change Target Location of (User Folder?) to different drive

Dotaz

• [First off, I've tried doing many of the methods described in the "related topics" that turned up, and then some 2 hours of my own searching.]

Like many people, I have 2 disk drives. (C:\) for my boot drive and programs. (E:\) is for my data storage. It is organized the way I seem to have evolved during my time with XP. There are about a dozen folders in E:\My Documents, only about 3 of which correspond to the "pre-customized" folders under my username thing in the Win 7 navigation pane.

In XP, I simply was able to delete, in the tree hierarchy you see in Explorer, the "My Documents" shortcut as it were, and replace it with a "My Documents" shortcut of my own that led to E:\My Documents. SIMPLE.

ALL I want... is for when I click on my username... it will lead to E:\My Documents.

Or at least show E:\Commissions, E:\Notes, E:\Audio, E:\Apps, etc.

PLEASE.

I've read about this "unattended.xml" install, but I obviously already have the Win7 OS installed. There must be some way to simply alter where that directs to! 

31. března 2011 2:34

Odpovědi

• The recommended way to accomplish this is with Libraries.  Open any Library, then click the blue link at the top that says "Includes 2 Locations".  Change the locations so that files within the library are stored on your E drive instead.  That's it; easy as pie.

Alternatively, you can go into your user account folder (C:\Users\Mira for example) and right-click the special folders such as Documents, Favorites, Videos, etc.  Go to properties, then choose to move the folder to the other drive.

You can do one or both of the above suggestions, depending on your desires.  Note that if you move the folders with the 2nd suggestion, they'll still show up inside C:\Users\Mira... but they won't actually be stored on the C drive (silent redirect).

Shawn Keene
    • Označen jako odpověď Mira Nova 31. března 2011 20:40
    31. března 2011 14:16
  • I originally thought of doing it with the new libraries thing, but that doesn't feel safe to let Windows handle [anything] sort of gathering on it's own. Plus I'd imagine it would require just as many clicks to get through there as it would to just consistently navigate to My Computer, E:\ drive, My Documents. Plus that would mean ALWAYS resetting up folders this way anytime I added/deleted/moved any.

The second suggestion was the first I found online, and that doesn't work either. I work with a lot of client video and pictures, and then school related things like sound effects, aside from private stuff. Cemented Vids, Pics, and Music "pre-customized" folders don't work for me. 

Thanks for the suggestions though and trying to help. Still much appreciated! =)

THIS, however, was the answer I was looking for: a simple registry edit to tell Windows that it can't have it's own way, that THIS is where that special user folder is going to be...
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

Please spread that around if you like! This seems to be an issue many people are struggling with.

• Označen jako odpověď Mira Nova 31. března 2011 20:39
    31. března 2011 20:38

Všechny reakce

• The recommended way to accomplish this is with Libraries.  Open any Library, then click the blue link at the top that says "Includes 2 Locations".  Change the locations so that files within the library are stored on your E drive instead.  That's it; easy as pie.

Alternatively, you can go into your user account folder (C:\Users\Mira for example) and right-click the special folders such as Documents, Favorites, Videos, etc.  Go to properties, then choose to move the folder to the other drive.

You can do one or both of the above suggestions, depending on your desires.  Note that if you move the folders with the 2nd suggestion, they'll still show up inside C:\Users\Mira... but they won't actually be stored on the C drive (silent redirect).

Shawn Keene
    • Označen jako odpověď Mira Nova 31. března 2011 20:40
    31. března 2011 14:16
  • I originally thought of doing it with the new libraries thing, but that doesn't feel safe to let Windows handle [anything] sort of gathering on it's own. Plus I'd imagine it would require just as many clicks to get through there as it would to just consistently navigate to My Computer, E:\ drive, My Documents. Plus that would mean ALWAYS resetting up folders this way anytime I added/deleted/moved any.

The second suggestion was the first I found online, and that doesn't work either. I work with a lot of client video and pictures, and then school related things like sound effects, aside from private stuff. Cemented Vids, Pics, and Music "pre-customized" folders don't work for me. 

Thanks for the suggestions though and trying to help. Still much appreciated! =)

THIS, however, was the answer I was looking for: a simple registry edit to tell Windows that it can't have it's own way, that THIS is where that special user folder is going to be...
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

Please spread that around if you like! This seems to be an issue many people are struggling with.

• Označen jako odpověď Mira Nova 31. března 2011 20:39
    31. března 2011 20:38
  • Your link exactly matches my 2nd suggestion (right-clicking the folder, choosing properties, then moving it on the Location tab).

Libraries really doesn't manage anything, because files are never in libraries.  Libraries are just search results, or a live instant search.  If you told a library to show content from X:\NetworkDrive\Stuff, it'd show up in there, but still be stored in the remote location.  Pretty much the same thing.

Shawn Keene
    1. dubna 2011 17:48
  • Libraries do not work for me for a number of reasons. Microsoft has established making changes to the behavior of their OS'es and applications just for the sake of change. I would never become further dependent on MS to mange this. Having spent several hours looking to do this in Windows 8 seems like a waste of time. Instead of moving from Windows 7 to 8, I am seriously considering re-installing XP again. It was far easier to control where to place my data.

I have kept my OS on one physical drive and my applications and data on a separate drive since the late 80's, predating the PC. First to split the data across two physically different channels and drives for better performance. Second so I can backup my OS monthly and my data nightly, if I like. I like to old saying, KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid. I do not trust how various applications decide for you how you wish your data to be backed up. I trust the KISS approach and I do not need to install an application to execute a restore or worry about exploding and imploded backed-up files.  There is the (costly) RAID solution, but it just isn't asking that much of MS to allow a simple advanced setting for any of us to select a global default location "drive:\path\" of all "User" folders to a different "drive:\path\".

MS makes this more difficult and different with each OS release. Simply finding the solution takes hours searching forums all to find every OS except the one actually needed. They all have their differences.

Is it really necessary to require us to modify every single "special folder" to be moved, when we just want our data on a physically different drive? Can we also have the option to do default our "Program Files" (both x86 & x64) to even another physically different drive?

It's just not that difficult to integrate these simple global variables into the OS. The beauty of this recommendation is, MS can continue to dumb down the user experience making it further idiot proof, friendly, pretty and that audience will never know the difference as long as this is an advanced setting and these values are stored as global variables. It would further make OS updates easier to find where the user's code...etc...is located if global variables were standardized.

How about:

%OS% - representing "a:\Winv08\" instead of "c:\windows\"
    %userfiles%  - representing "b:\Users\" instead of "c:\users"
    %programfilesx64% - representing "c:\program files\" instead of "c:\program files\"
    %programfilesx86% - representing "d:\program files(x86)\" instead of "c:\program files(x86)\"

Yes, this is a really simple integration. MS, how about making a contribution to some of us that don't trust your MS libraries and/or MS backups? You can still make the OS pretty and idiot proof. I am not hell bent on the variable %OS%, but please give all of us global control rather than dictating the folder locations.

If you have an extra hour, place it all on one single advanced dialog box (with your existing defaults in place) and include "Pictures", "Video", "Music" and anything else MS decides to invent in the future. Stop forcing us to place our files where we would like. Give us some credit so we have a method of spreading our data around so we are not burning away one HDA. Allow us to spread the work across various drives if for no other reason but for better performance and less wear and tear on a single HDA.

I'm on the edge of a divorce. For now, we're separated. Linux looks better as MS introduces each new OS. Even XP is looking better. I'm willing to accept the security risks for simplicity. I would have better control over my backups.

Stop this insane habit of dictating where our files are stored. PLEASE!

18. června 2012 10:27
  • Agree!!!
    26. října 2012 14:53