none
Windows Movie Maker 2.6 wont let me save my movie file

Dotaz

• I have recently created a 50 minute movie for a school project and do not have enouph time to restart with live windows movie maker and i have tried every single format to save my file as but the message:

"Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, then try again."

I have verified all of this so is there anything else i need to check?

or is it possible that i somehow convert my windows movie maker file into a different file/program (posibly the newer windows movie maker) o that i can finalze my movie?

Thank you!

10. ledna 2011 3:54

Odpovědi

• try saving in the same location you have your captured footages
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    10. ledna 2011 20:00
  • Movie Maker is a very basic program designed with some big memory handling limitations.

When a project is created, the size of the project created has a direct influence on whether or not it can be rendered successfully as a .WMV file

When you goes to turn the project into a movie file in preparation to be burned or stored on the Hard drive, there must be AT LEAST as much AVALIABLE MEMORY as the size of the movie file when the rendering completes (as found in task manager under the "performance" tab)

In other words, if the customer's movie file\project is 128 mb, then there must be at least 128 mb of free AVALIABLE RAM when he goes to create file by selecting "Save Movie File". If there is not, then you will receive a deceptive error message reading:
    "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, and then try again."

one posible temporary solution to free ram for the redering step is to put the computer into a clean boot to free up the needed resources to complete the step.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

It may be that the customer will have to purchase more RAM or may need to split the project into smaller pieces and have the smaller files selected to be played in succession as a play list through Media player if the clean boot does not provide the environment necessary to complete the rendering.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    12. ledna 2011 8:52

Všechny reakce

• try saving in the same location you have your captured footages
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    10. ledna 2011 20:00
  • Movie Maker is a very basic program designed with some big memory handling limitations.

When a project is created, the size of the project created has a direct influence on whether or not it can be rendered successfully as a .WMV file

When you goes to turn the project into a movie file in preparation to be burned or stored on the Hard drive, there must be AT LEAST as much AVALIABLE MEMORY as the size of the movie file when the rendering completes (as found in task manager under the "performance" tab)

In other words, if the customer's movie file\project is 128 mb, then there must be at least 128 mb of free AVALIABLE RAM when he goes to create file by selecting "Save Movie File". If there is not, then you will receive a deceptive error message reading:
    "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, and then try again."

one posible temporary solution to free ram for the redering step is to put the computer into a clean boot to free up the needed resources to complete the step.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

It may be that the customer will have to purchase more RAM or may need to split the project into smaller pieces and have the smaller files selected to be played in succession as a play list through Media player if the clean boot does not provide the environment necessary to complete the rendering.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    12. ledna 2011 8:52
  • I have the exact same problem and I have moved all source files to one folder, asked WMM to publish movie to the same folder and that doesn't work either. Plus, my RAM is 8GB and my file is only 49MB so free memory not the issue either.
    Simon B DeVay
    3. června 2011 9:19
  • And so after much pondering in attempt to fix this problem. This is what I suggest. Most of us would agree that it is a memory issue (maybe not)..?? I have found a simple (well nothing with windows can ever be that simple) method to "SAVE" your hard work from going to waste. If you use multiple songs, or sounds, it pays to use them as your split points. For eg: If you have a 3min 27sec song, split the movie here. Then you have another song which goes for 2mins 04secs after this, make another split in your movie here and so on.... I found that 3-5min splits works best (Sorry if you have a 55min movie you wish to make... But at least you know it will work).

Step 1: Once you have created as many splits as necessary, Save the file eg: Bobs camping "MAIN". Without the apostrophise. Now, go back to your edit and go to your first split. Click so your edit bar is at the start of the second section of the split. Not the end of the first. Hold "shift" and then press "end" then delete (All on the keyboard). You now have only your first split on the screen in the editor. Save this section as eg: Bobs camping trip 1. If done correctly, Where you split the movie, your music should fall in place automatically.

Step 2: Now that you have this section saved, you can begin section 2. This is where it can be a bit of a pain. But be patient. Now load up your "MAIN" save. This will be your original save with all your original work. This time you will go to your "second" spit. Once here, you will need to delete your first split. Do this by going to the end of "section" 1 (This is this is the section of movie you have just save). Place your edit bar at the end of section 1 and this time you will hold "shift" and then press "home" and then delete. You have now deleted section 1 (Which is already saved as eg Bobs camping trip 1) You will notice that your sound/music is still there from section 1. Simply right click on the sound/music and go to remove. It should automatically bring your second sound/music to the start of your editing. If not, go to where your section 2 sound/music is and either "a" hold left click and drag the music to the start, or "b" right click on the sound/music, the select "cut" go to the start of your edit and "paste. You should now have your music and movie for section 2 at the start of your edit. Now, Do the same as you did with step 1 and remove the "excess" movie that is not meant to be with this split. You should now have only your movie and sounds/music from section 2 remaining. Once completed save as eg: Bobs camping trip 2. 

If you have understood everything so far you will most likely be able to continue on without any help. Its a simple idea thats effective. It just involves a bit of patience and work.

Step 3: Once you have saved all your sections ie: Bobs camping trip 1, Bobs camping trip 2, Bobs camping trip 3 and so on depending on how many splits you made and sections you saved, Open your second save  which was titled eg: Bobs camping trip 1. You should now have your edited movie for section 1. Save this movie as eg; Bobs camping trip 1 (which should be automatic if you followed the directions correctly). You can save this in any style be it HD or for email. Do this with all of your saved files 1 after the other. It isnt a bad idea to close Windows Live Movie Maker after each save and restart with the next movie you wish to save. I have found that after doing a few, it becomes unstable again and the original error occurs 

Step 4; If you made 12 sections and saves, after following step 3 you will have 12 movies for example. I dont promise this part will work, but I cant see why not. (EDIT: I have confirmation that this did work for 5 farts on a 19min movie)!!If it doest, maybe link just a few sections at a time until eventually you can link them all together. Open windows movie maker and place your 12 (or whatever number) "SAVED MOVIES" (not saved edits) into Your editor (Windows Live Movie Maker). Make sure they are in the correct order from your original edit. The movie which you wanted to create before having problems. Now, once they are all in the editor, you can save your entire movie as eg: Bobs camping trip "FINAL". Provided all went well, you should now have your movie and saved all your hard work with editing in the first place.

Step 5; Before editing another movie. Find some more stable software for editing. There is plenty on the market and plenty of easy to use free ones. Just ask around and google. Use these instead as it appears to me that Windows Live Movie Maker is still unstable and not for making decent length movies.

I hope that I have helped. If so, send me a thanx. I would really appreciate knowing I have made somebody elses life easier as Windows dont seem to want to help their customers.

cruisey@mail.ru
    Facebook: Cruisey Tunks (I can also share some of my movies I have edited on here if you add me as a friend.

Happy Editing!

Cruisey

EDIT: The freeing up of RAM or buying more RAM in my honest opinion, does NOT help. With a quad core processor and more than 16gb or RAM between 2 hard drives... I am pretty sure its not a RAM problem I have, but the program it self.... Just saying is all.. ;)

• Navržen jako odpověď Cruisey 28. září 2011 3:18
    • Upravený Cruisey 28. září 2011 5:12
    28. září 2011 3:18
  • I have the same problem and it's not a memory problem. I have 200 MB ram free and even when I try to save a tiny video (628KB) I get the same message as the original post. If the system can't save a half a MB there's something seriously wrong.
    23. ledna 2012 13:31
  • EDIT: The freeing up of RAM or buying more RAM in my honest opinion, does NOT help. With a quad core processor and more than 16gb or RAM between 2 hard drives... I am pretty sure its not a RAM problem I have, but the program it self.... Just saying is all.. ;)

I agree.  My system setup is just as robust and I cant save a 1 minute movie.
    22. února 2012 23:54
  • Hey! If all else fails, which it did for me, just full screen the preview window on WMM and then screen capture it as it plays back. It's not as high quality, but it's a video, and sometimes that just has to do.
    • Upravený TurekBoy 27. února 2012 8:21
    27. února 2012 8:20
  • I came across this because I had a similar problem and I've experienced it at least once before. This time around the first thing I did was check the path of all my files and they were all okay and I restarted my computer as well. This did not work. I tried deleting large sections and saving the movie (I thought of saving it in three parts and then merging it back together.) This did not work either. I then deleted the mp3 track and it would save the movie, so what I did was re-save my mp3 as a .wav file and that solved it!

Hope this helps someone.

27. března 2012 17:27