none
Windows 7 Driver for Nvidia GeForce4 4200 Go

Dotaz

• Hello,

I have an older Dell Inspiron 8500 15.4 widescreen laptop that had been running XP Pro SP3.  This 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 laptop has 2 GB of memory and a 250GB hard drive which more than meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 7 Beta except in the area of the video card.  This laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go 64MB video card and before I loaded Windows 7 Beta to the laptop, Dell's Readiness Advisor for Vista warned that this laptop would not be able to display Aero.   OK, I am still willing to try out the Free Windows 7 Beta anyway.

I loaded the Windows 7 Beta to the laptop with only a slight issues at first with some network controller drivers.   But, it is now up and running and it seems faster than XP.  (The wonders of a clean install)  However, the maximum screen resolution that the Windows 7 Beta generic VGA video driver offers is 1280x1024.

Under Windows XP Pro NVIDIA drivers, this video card offers the wide screen native resolution of the laptop of 1400x1050 (WSXGA+)

I have been unable to find a Vista or Windows 7 Video Driver for this NVIDIA card that offers screen resolutions of greater than 1280x1024.

I know that this video card will never give me the full experience that Windows 7 has to offer, but does anyone know where I can obtain an Windows 7 Beta Video Driver for this NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go 64MB video card that will at least give me higher, wide screen resolutions, then 1280x1024????
    Thanks,

mchiles
    8. února 2009 19:21

Odpovědi

•  

Hello,

I'd suggest using the XP driver in Compatibility mode. Remove that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows XP in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver.

If the problem still persists, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system (only the beta version) and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; some old driver is not compatible with new OS. I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

13. února 2009 8:01

Všechny reakce

•  

Hello,

I'd suggest using the XP driver in Compatibility mode. Remove that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows XP in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver.

If the problem still persists, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system (only the beta version) and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; some old driver is not compatible with new OS. I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

13. února 2009 8:01
  • Try this:

32BIT:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/185series/18520_vista.exe 
    And a modded INF (Copy and replace the original)
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/infs/185series/18520_vista/nv_disp.inf

64BIT
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/185series/18520_vista64.exe
    And a modded INF (Copy and replace the original)
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/infs/185series/18520_vista64/nv_disp.inf

I have Win7 and the driver works.
    13. února 2009 19:27
  • Fazan123,

Thanks so much!  Your link resolved my driver problem.  I am now running Windows 7 on an Inspiron 8600 and the screen resolution looks fantastic!  You helped give life back to an old laptop.

Kind regards!

27. března 2010 1:02
  • wellfolks I still get a error message from win 7 Ultimate(code 43 and win deactivates the driver) I am gonna try lilmordac version.

/P

12. dubna 2010 22:07
  • I acually found a better Driver to fix the Dell Inspiron 8500 video driver issue for windows 7

Here is the info

I installed 72.30 (it's a Longhorn Beta driver for the 440 GO) from http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/nvidia.htm on a Dell C840 (1gb) with the Geforce4 440 GO GPU (64mb)running Windows 7 RC (build 7100) and this driver works. I installed it using Windows XP compatibily/administrator mode. Note that the NWIZ program on reboot will display a publisher UAC warning (which I turned off) on reboot. I also changed NWIZ.exe to run in XP compatibility/administrator mode. After installation I did a resetup of Windows media center and I can now watch recorded TV on the C840.

1. Get the 72.30 driver as suggested before from the driver heaven web site.
    2. Place on a temp folder and unpack. You should end up with a folder named 72.30_win2kxp
    3. Look for the Setup file. Create a shortcut for it. RMC on the shortcut and look for Properties, then Compatibility tab. There set Run as Administrator and set for XP Pro compatibility mode. Execute.
    4. At some point it will tell you it's an unsigned driver, just tell it to continue anyway. Accept any other defaults. Once done reboot.
    5. System should be at higher resolution. The NWIZ app will make the UAC complain.
    6. Do a search for NWIZ.exe which should be in the System32 folder. RMC on it and set it's properties to Run As Administrator and set compatibility mode to XP Pro.
    7. That should be all.

Boot up imiage may look a little funky but dont worrie you should have good results once you get to the desktop.

have a nice day

13. dubna 2010 0:15
  • DUDE YOU ROCK!!

You made my day it worked like a charm, I have windows 7 x86  Ultimate (Swedish)

You are my hero!

thanks/P

13. dubna 2010 15:51
  • the 185.20 didn't work for me, but I found one that did for my Win7 x32, also at laptopvideo2go.

Search for dev_0253 with vista32 selected and download 96.86, no custom inf, but you can manually select

the driver with the 'have disk' method and tell it to use NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 when you really have a 4200 Go,

or GeForce4 MX 440 for the 440 Go (Inspiron 8100/Latitude C840/Precision M50), etc.

9. června 2012 19:09