none
Unmountable Boot Volume-possible solution for Dell Inspiron 6400 XP sp3 with Dell Media Direct installed

Dotaz

• A solution that worked for my Dell Inspiron 6400 XP professional SP 3.

I discovered (by pure inspiration !!!) that when pressing the Dell Media Direct button (instead of pressing the "power" button !!)  I could boot  and actually see all the folders of my laptop [those containing media files (photos, videos) I could even play them]. After browsing the folders containing media files (photos, movies) I clicked "exit" and my laptop powered off. After that I pressed the "power" button and my laptop booted normally. I am not sure but it may be that the BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume error appeared after I installed the Slim Cleaner application.  After I was able to boot again into my laptop I uninstalled Slim Cleaner and run the “chkdsk /r” . I do not know the explanation for this workaround (I am not an IT guru) but I just wanted to share with those using Dell Inspiron 6400 with Dell Media Direct installed !!!) this possible solution that worked for me. Maybe I am wrong but it could be that this solution worked due to the fact that Dell Media Direct is located on a separate partition on my hard drive (I have three partitions on my Dell Inspiron 6400) allowing thus the booting. One question : should I run the recovery console  “chkdsk /p “ and “fixboot c:” commands to test the boot sector or not ? Waiting for feedback from IT experts.  Thanks.

6. září 2011 8:41

Všechny reakce

• where is that button located?  mine is a notebook with unmountable boot error no cd to boot from unless I do it from another computer.....this is new pooter ...should not be the hard drive? 
    2. března 2012 21:31
  • On my Dell Inspiron 6400the Dell Media Direct button is located near to to the "power" button (left to the "power" button) - on the top edge of the keyboard. ( In between the Dell Media Direct button and the "power " button there is a led for Bluetooh, wireless, etc green lights- pleas click this link to see an clarifying image http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/14740.jpg ) I do not know if other Dell laptops have the Dell Media Direct button.
    4. března 2012 13:41