none
How can I recover lost files after using easy transfer?

Frage

• Please help. All my photos have disappeared from both my old computer (XP) and were not transferred to new (Vista). There is no longer a folder for 'my pictures'.

Mark

Sonntag, 20. Juli 2008 05:59

Antworten

• Hi Mark,

First I would like to confirm the following points:

1.    How did you use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your pictures, via CD/DVD, USB external drive or network?

2.    Where was the picture folder located before?

3.    Did you successfully transfer the data to Windows Vista?

4.    Did any error message appear during the transferring?

5.    Normally, files will not be missing on Windows XP after running Windows Easy Transfer. Did the picture folder disappear right after running Windows Easy Transfer?

Now you can try a System Restore to see if the picture folder will be recovered.

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084/en-us

Please understand that usually data is hard to be recovered if they are really missing. To troubleshoot data lost issue, you can try third-party tools such as EasyRecovery.

http://www.download.com/EasyRecovery-Professional/3000-2248_4-10309797.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Montag, 21. Juli 2008 06:47

Alle Antworten

• Hi Mark,

First I would like to confirm the following points:

1.    How did you use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your pictures, via CD/DVD, USB external drive or network?

2.    Where was the picture folder located before?

3.    Did you successfully transfer the data to Windows Vista?

4.    Did any error message appear during the transferring?

5.    Normally, files will not be missing on Windows XP after running Windows Easy Transfer. Did the picture folder disappear right after running Windows Easy Transfer?

Now you can try a System Restore to see if the picture folder will be recovered.

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084/en-us

Please understand that usually data is hard to be recovered if they are really missing. To troubleshoot data lost issue, you can try third-party tools such as EasyRecovery.

http://www.download.com/EasyRecovery-Professional/3000-2248_4-10309797.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Montag, 21. Juli 2008 06:47
  • Mittwoch, 16. September 2009 01:48
  • I have had a similar problem happen to me today while setting up a new computer for a customer of mine.  The old computer was XP and the new computer was running 7.  I setup the transfer over a LAN which only had these two computers on it.  I had no problems with the Easy Transfer software setup.  It ran and completed without displaying any errors.  It seems to have transferred everything else except the pictures successfully.  Even stranger, Easy Transfer actually setup the folder structure under "My Pictures" exactly the way it was on the old computer.  The problem is that now all the jpg files within each of those folders is missing.  All the pictures are gone from both the old computer and the new computer.  I also considered that the files had possibly been copied to a different location, so I did a search on the whole system for *.jpg, and sifted through the results to no avail.  I also confirmed .jpg was the proper extension from a picture that my customer had attached to an email about a week ago.  I also did this on the old computer and didn't find the pictures.

I am at a complete loss.  As best as I can tell, Easy Transfer performs file "copy" operations, not "move" operations.  So even if the pictures never showed up on the new computer, they should still be in tact on the old system.  My customer is telling me that he had emailed pictures that were on his computer as recently as a week ago.  This guy has been a customer of mine on and off (he's moved around the country a few times) for many, many years (circa Windows 3.1) and if nothing else he's not a b-s'er, but he's obviously pretty upset at the loss of his pictures.  This is only the second time I've had a chance to work with him since he moved back and his backup practices are appearantly not what they used to be; but that is neither here nor there.  Any help on this would be extremely appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Daniel Worrell
    TecUnlimited
    Sonntag, 8. November 2009 05:45
  • sadly anover victim of the windows "easy" transfer. i will only be using copy and paste from now on. or shared folders over the network to transfer the files
    Montag, 9. November 2009 04:18
  • So Im guessing Windows Easy Transfer causes loss of files so you have to buy their File Recovery App?   Never recommend Easy Transfer for sure!!!!
    Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012 05:17