none
DXSETUP never stops running

Frage

• Hi,

When trying to run Call of Duty Black Ops, before the game starts it says it needs to install DirectX (although I already have it). The installation hangs. When I run DXSETUP.exe (in compatibility mode) I see that it hangs on the file d3dx9_24.dll.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 works fine with the same DirectX installation.

I cannot do a system restore.

How can I get the DXSETUP process not to hang?

I have tried a Clean Boot, with no difference.

I left the process running for 24 hours, but it was still working on the same file. DXSETUP.exe*32 takes up 25% CPU the whole time.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a very good HW computer. And I just updated the graphics drivers to the latest version. DXDIAG says I have DirectX 11.

Please help!

Donnerstag, 18. November 2010 23:25

Alle Antworten

• I'm having the exact same problem.  Running a core duo E6600. GForce 260 GTX.  Should not be having any troubles.  This is the just one of many examples where I bought a game on Steam and it doesn't work properly.
    Samstag, 20. November 2010 06:43
  • Since you have installed Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, you should not need to install DirectX when installing Call of Duty Black Ops.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Mittwoch, 24. November 2010 07:42
  • Try right-clicking the COD Black OPs .exe file and select run as administrator
    Mittwoch, 24. November 2010 14:17
  • I've tried that. No success unfortunately... I've tried running DXSETUP.exe as administrator too, but that didn't help either. It still hangs...

(Is there any way I can subscribe to these answers via mail?)

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2010 07:37
  • This is exactly the sort of moronic comment that crops up all over this website. Someone is trying to get a simple solution to a problem, and someone comes along and asks why they need to do it. Next time, why not try providing a useful answer rather than something unhelpful and then marking it as an answer. No one is interested in your medals.
    Freitag, 3. Juni 2011 06:46
  • I know I don't need to install DirectX, but the game requires a check of DirectX anyway and runs a script to check if DirectX is there every single time I execute the game. I have the same issue with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, which I purchased today.

After a very looooong fault finding session (several months) I got the workaround to go into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops and remove the file "installscript.vdf"

This solved the problem, both for Black Ops and MW3 and I can play both games using this technique.

But... I have started to get BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) when playing MW3 and CoDWaW (but none of the other games in the Call of Duty series), and I have no clue why. I suspect it could have to do with the DirectX installation which needs to be updated. Maybe...

Freitag, 25. November 2011 00:47
  • Please download and install BlueScreenView, run it, right-click the latest crash, and select Copy Selected Items. Then, paste the copied information into a new reply here.

Also, in the lower pane, are there any drivers highlighted in red for the crash, and if so, which ones?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Sonntag, 27. November 2011 17:19