none
Windows 7 update error 80070718

Frage

• At my company, we have many Windows 7 machines (both x64 and x86) that are not updating automatically. When trying to install manually, I receive an 80070718 error. I've used the System Update Readiness tool, ran sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f /r, ran Microsoft Fixits....I'm at a loss here. Why are my machines still receiving this error, and will not install all updates even when ran manually?

Edit: We run Active Directory in 2000 native mode. Before I started in this position, changes were made in group policy, but were not documented. If there's anything in group policy that can cause this, I wouldn't rule it out. 

• Bearbeitet Junior Cole Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 15:10
    Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 13:48

Antworten

• Run a clean boot and try the below 

FixIt tool to repair the Softwaredistribution folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Try an update after the above. If it doesnt work, try the below

Repairing the Windows files by the below steps
    Open command prompt 
    Type sfc.exe /scannow 

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

If a post solved your problem, click “Mark as Answer” on the post.
    If a post helped you, click "Vote As Helpful" on the left side of post.

• Als Antwort markiert Junior Cole Montag, 2. April 2012 13:06
    Donnerstag, 22. März 2012 02:32
  • Are you using quotas on the filesystem,

ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_QUOTA                                        winerror.h
    # Not enough quota is available to process this command.
    # 2 matches found for "80070718"

• Als Antwort markiert Junior Cole Montag, 23. April 2012 16:11
    Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 16:25
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following steps to resolve this issue.

Rename the Windows Update temporary folders:
    ====================================
    1. Click "Start", in "Start Search" item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop CryptSvc
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
    net start CryptSvc
    net start wuauserv
    pause

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "rename.bat" as the file name and save it to the Desktop.
    4. Return to the Desktop, right click the rename.bat file and choose "Run as administrator".
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Now try Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down to avoid conflicts. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

After that, please install updates to check the result.
    If the issue persists, please compress the file --- C:\Windows\ windowsupdate.log, upload the file via SkyDrive and post a link here. Then we could analyze the problem deeply through this log.
    Best regards,
    Della Li

Donnerstag, 22. März 2012 07:14

Alle Antworten

• Are you using quotas on the filesystem,

ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_QUOTA                                        winerror.h
    # Not enough quota is available to process this command.
    # 2 matches found for "80070718"

• Als Antwort markiert Junior Cole Montag, 23. April 2012 16:11
    Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 16:25
  • Please run the system on cleanboot and let us know the results

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 17:01
  • No quotas on the filesystem.
    Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 20:29
  • I will do this and return with results.
    Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 20:29
  • Even after performing a clean boot, I still cannot install all available updates. Some will install, some will not. Once I restart and try again, the ones that failed before succeed. It seems I can only install 2 or 3 updates in a row before the rest fail.
    Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 20:37
  • Run a clean boot and try the below 

FixIt tool to repair the Softwaredistribution folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Try an update after the above. If it doesnt work, try the below

Repairing the Windows files by the below steps
    Open command prompt 
    Type sfc.exe /scannow 

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

Donnerstag, 22. März 2012 02:32
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following steps to resolve this issue.

Rename the Windows Update temporary folders:
    ====================================
    1. Click "Start", in "Start Search" item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop CryptSvc
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
    net start CryptSvc
    net start wuauserv
    pause

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "rename.bat" as the file name and save it to the Desktop.
    4. Return to the Desktop, right click the rename.bat file and choose "Run as administrator".
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Now try Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down to avoid conflicts. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

After that, please install updates to check the result.
    If the issue persists, please compress the file --- C:\Windows\ windowsupdate.log, upload the file via SkyDrive and post a link here. Then we could analyze the problem deeply through this log.
    Best regards,
    Della Li

Donnerstag, 22. März 2012 07:14
  • No errors were found with the fixit tool. I've already performed an sfc /scannow, including many other steps listed within the OP.
    Donnerstag, 22. März 2012 12:19
  • The rename seems to have worked, but I had no updates left on this machine to test, so I uninstalled 4 of them and re-installed, hoping to produce an error if it didn't work. Just in case I move on to my next machine and this doesn't work, what would be the next step?
    Donnerstag, 22. März 2012 12:38
  • As an update to this, my update issues with each machine were slightly different, but were all fixed thus far with certain tools. I've used Fixit 50123, Fixit 50202, http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/, the program Fix WU, the rename script listed above by Della Li, sfc /scannow, and the System Update Readiness Tool. Each machine was fixed by one of these, but there wasn't one specific tool that worked more than the others. This is due to having more than one simple issue, but yet having a gang of problems. I also didn't have to use the tool on one machine because it had a corrupt .Net framework, which didn't allow for updates because it would always fail on .Net security updates. Once I uninstalled with the cleanup tool and reinstalled manually from Microsoft's website, all was well. Thank you all for your assistance, and I will come back once all my machines are properly updated, or if I have any problems during that time period.
    Montag, 2. April 2012 13:05
  • Although this wasn't my initial problem, this helped me out with my other issues on my other machines. Disk quotas were preventing any of my client's machines from downloading more than 3 updates at one time. 
    Montag, 23. April 2012 16:11