none
Windows Journal crashes

Frage

• I've got the 7 beta running on a Toshiba M200 tablet PC.  It's been running pretty well, with one exception--whenever I try to open Windows Journal, it attempts to open the last document open and then crashes, giving me an "application has stopped working" message.  The event log cites nbdoc.dll as the source of the problem.

The file it wants to open is a document I imported, but even after succesfully opening one of the journal templates, loading the program still tries to open the other file.  Even after opening a template (from outside of Journal), I can't open a new document, and if I try to open an imported file, the program will crash again.

So far I have tried:
    --Removing and reinstalling Tablet Features

--Re-registering the DLL files associated with Journal

--Updating drivers where possible

--Uninstalling Office (based on an obscure tablet issue I dug up, but it was a slightly different issue)

--Reinstalling the Note Printer

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.  This is the one issue I can't figure out, and it's making me crazy.

Montag, 26. Januar 2009 20:55

Antworten

• I had a similar issue, where Journal crashed trying to open a file, and then every time i tried to open Journal again it would immediately close. i would be tempted to try finding and renaming the nbdoc.dll to something like nbdocold.dll then try opening journal again, if it then says error finding nbdoc.dll you might need to try using the advanced boot options to try a repair of Win 7. I didnt have any error messages at all, and didnt realise you could uninstall and re-install the tablet parts, so i ended up formatting and re-installing. Hopefully you will get running again without having to do that.
    Dienstag, 27. Januar 2009 02:09

Alle Antworten

• I had a similar issue, where Journal crashed trying to open a file, and then every time i tried to open Journal again it would immediately close. i would be tempted to try finding and renaming the nbdoc.dll to something like nbdocold.dll then try opening journal again, if it then says error finding nbdoc.dll you might need to try using the advanced boot options to try a repair of Win 7. I didnt have any error messages at all, and didnt realise you could uninstall and re-install the tablet parts, so i ended up formatting and re-installing. Hopefully you will get running again without having to do that.
    Dienstag, 27. Januar 2009 02:09
  • Same happens my tablet PC.   Anybody can help?
    Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2009 00:06
  • Same exact problem, when files are printed from MS word the program loops and crashes. I have tried to rename the files you suggest, but l am told that I cannot rename or delete the file because I am not an administrator for the windows trusted installer?

Motion Computer LS800 Tablet 2GB RAM
    Dienstag, 24. Februar 2009 06:34
  • Well... I have the same issue, but if I rename the offending journal file and then re-open Journal it complains about not being able to access the file in question but when I hit Cancel...Journal opens up normally to a blank page. The journal file I was trying to open was generated from the printer driver from a web site... Funny thing is...I printed the same site to an XPS document and then opened that and printed to the same journal file name and the file worked as expected that time...go figure.
    Montag, 15. Juni 2009 12:53
  • For Windows 7
    Close all open instances of Windows Journal.
    open up windows explorer
    type %localappdata% in the address bar
    go to Microsoft\Journal\Recover
    move all .bak files to a temp folder on your desktop
    restart Journal
    delete temp folder
    Montag, 3. Oktober 2011 16:50
  • A lot of thanks man !! That worked great with my Win 7 Lenovo X61 !
    Freitag, 9. Dezember 2011 11:38
  • I too had problems with Journal crashing when using Word to print to the Journal driver (large files with lots of images).  Started crashing Journal as soon as I started scrolling down the page.

Managed to get Journal working on my w7 and w8 machines by uninstalling security update kb2971850

Freitag, 5. September 2014 18:44