none
Windows Media Center Crashes when I select Movie Library

Frage

• When I open Windows Media Center I select Movie Library. In the background the program says "Looking for Movies." Almost right away a thumbnail pops up and says "Windows Media Center has stopped working," "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly," "Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I don't understand as the program worked fine yesterday. I even streamed a movie to my 360 with the media center.

If anyone knows how to fix this please help!!!

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2010 23:13

Antworten

• I have the same issue with a dedicated HTPC.  In my case, media library is connecting to a remote directory on my LAN. When the share is accessed it appears it will load successfully.  Thumbnails appear for a moment, etc. then an error appears stating Media Center has crashed/stopped working.

It just started a couple of days ago...Dec. 1st 2010.  I have not installed/un-installed any new software in months.  I haven't run Windows Update either.

I did have some level of success by removing one shared location from media library and re-adding it.  It worked for a day, then the crash + error started to appear again.

I found this link earlier this afternoon...http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7pictures/thread/68a2debe-8920-4007-badf-6a1c8eb6a2b7

The post mentions rebuilding the index.  The index is rebuilding on my system as I type this.  It may take several hours to complete.  Hopefully it fixes the problem.

Samstag, 4. Dezember 2010 21:24
  • I am experiencing this identical problem as yours.  I don't know how it started to error since I haven't installed anything onto the laptop.  It had been running fine for months and then all of a sudden the error popped up.

@ballisox - You were suggested by someone to re-index.  Did it work for you?

I tried the re-indexing as you suggested and followed the instructions through the link you supplied and it temporarily fixed the problem, but then it happened again.  When that happened, it gave me good reason to believe that there was a corrupt or incorrect file that WMC was scanning in the library and then causing it to error when the WMC scan came across the corrupt file, which was my theory as to why it worked for a brief amount of time and then gave me an error again.  It indeed was a corrupt file.  I deleted two xml files that were created from Media Center Master, I believe, which helps automatically create the poster art and movie descriptions for each movie.

I found the particular movie with the problem by taking out half of the movies and seeing which half of the movies would error after deleting the mcepg2-0.db index file.  When I would find which half of the movies would error, then I would half it again and again til I came down to the very movie that was causing the error.

If I had an over-abundance of movies to where this process would take forever to half test, I would then consider writing a dos command to remove all files created for poster art and movie descriptions for all of the movies.  Then after all is deleted (make sure to delete the mcepg2-0.db as well), test the WMC to see if the movie library comes back up.  If it doesn't, it may be another file that is corrupt somewhere in the library.  If it does come up fine, then I would run the program (in my case, Media Center Master) to recreate all of the poster art and movie descriptions.

I hope this helps.

Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010 04:00

Alle Antworten

• Did you make any changes to your system (e.g. software installs/uninstalls) since yesterday?

Please post the technical details of the crash here. Open the Start menu, type event in the Search box, and click Event Viewer .

In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application , and look for Error in that list, there should be such an event for each crash. Double-click the latest event and copy/paste its description into your post.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Freitag, 3. Dezember 2010 16:04
  • I have the same issue with a dedicated HTPC.  In my case, media library is connecting to a remote directory on my LAN. When the share is accessed it appears it will load successfully.  Thumbnails appear for a moment, etc. then an error appears stating Media Center has crashed/stopped working.

It just started a couple of days ago...Dec. 1st 2010.  I have not installed/un-installed any new software in months.  I haven't run Windows Update either.

I did have some level of success by removing one shared location from media library and re-adding it.  It worked for a day, then the crash + error started to appear again.

I found this link earlier this afternoon...http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7pictures/thread/68a2debe-8920-4007-badf-6a1c8eb6a2b7

The post mentions rebuilding the index.  The index is rebuilding on my system as I type this.  It may take several hours to complete.  Hopefully it fixes the problem.

Samstag, 4. Dezember 2010 21:24
  • I am experiencing this identical problem as yours.  I don't know how it started to error since I haven't installed anything onto the laptop.  It had been running fine for months and then all of a sudden the error popped up.

@ballisox - You were suggested by someone to re-index.  Did it work for you?

I tried the re-indexing as you suggested and followed the instructions through the link you supplied and it temporarily fixed the problem, but then it happened again.  When that happened, it gave me good reason to believe that there was a corrupt or incorrect file that WMC was scanning in the library and then causing it to error when the WMC scan came across the corrupt file, which was my theory as to why it worked for a brief amount of time and then gave me an error again.  It indeed was a corrupt file.  I deleted two xml files that were created from Media Center Master, I believe, which helps automatically create the poster art and movie descriptions for each movie.

I found the particular movie with the problem by taking out half of the movies and seeing which half of the movies would error after deleting the mcepg2-0.db index file.  When I would find which half of the movies would error, then I would half it again and again til I came down to the very movie that was causing the error.

If I had an over-abundance of movies to where this process would take forever to half test, I would then consider writing a dos command to remove all files created for poster art and movie descriptions for all of the movies.  Then after all is deleted (make sure to delete the mcepg2-0.db as well), test the WMC to see if the movie library comes back up.  If it doesn't, it may be another file that is corrupt somewhere in the library.  If it does come up fine, then I would run the program (in my case, Media Center Master) to recreate all of the poster art and movie descriptions.

I hope this helps.

Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010 04:00
  • which xml files were deleted?
    Samstag, 18. Dezember 2010 04:26
  • Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          12/19/2010 9:17:44 AM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      JamesGallagher
    Description:
    Fault bucket 1306522715, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: ehshell.exe
    P2: 6.1.7600.16385
    P3: 4a5bd053
    P4: mscorlib
    P5: 2.0.0.0
    P6: 4bebe8e2
    P7: 3657
    P8: 17
    P9: System.IO.PathTooLongException
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\James Gallagher\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC15B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\James Gallagher\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_ehshell.exe_e3ec838c361fb94dc8f568fec416ea9597d527_1300d307

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 1d4ad229-0b83-11e0-89f6-20cf30afbfb3
    Report Status: 0
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-12-19T15:17:44.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>5072</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>JamesGallagher</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>1306522715</Data>
        <Data>5</Data>
        <Data>CLR20r3</Data>
        <Data>Not available</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>ehshell.exe</Data>
        <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
        <Data>4a5bd053</Data>
        <Data>mscorlib</Data>
        <Data>2.0.0.0</Data>
        <Data>4bebe8e2</Data>
        <Data>3657</Data>
        <Data>17</Data>
        <Data>System.IO.PathTooLongException</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
    C:\Users\James Gallagher\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC15B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>
        <Data>C:\Users\James Gallagher\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_ehshell.exe_e3ec838c361fb94dc8f568fec416ea9597d527_1300d307</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>1d4ad229-0b83-11e0-89f6-20cf30afbfb3</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Sonntag, 19. Dezember 2010 15:18
  • SolSuicyd, renaming the DVDInfoCache folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\eHome should fix that, as suggested at http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/95616/500016.aspx#500016 .
    Tim De Baets
    Montag, 20. Dezember 2010 11:00
  • You are a life saver! I had been having this problem for months. It seemed that no amount of searching revealed a solution.  I deleted the contents of the eHome folder.  I then had to add the Movie folders in Windows Media Center.  Now when I go into movies it doesn't crash!  Very happy!  Thank you.

BTW On Windows 7 it is located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\eHome

Samstag, 19. Februar 2011 05:21
  • Thanks, I have just corrected the path in my original post.
    Tim De Baets
    Samstag, 19. Februar 2011 15:44
  • I had the same problem and tried the fix proposed here but it didn't work.

Then i noticed in the event viewer that the entry containing the error mentioned there was an Invalid Uri exception being raised. I had set the Movies Library path to be a share on my Asus rt-n56u router and by default (i think? or perhaps i set it to this, i'm not sure) this router uses "\\Asus Router" as its share name i.e. it has a space in its name. I changed the share name on the router to be "\\AsusRouter", readded the path to my Movies Library Locations and it worked.

So yeah, some noob MS programmer doesn't know that UNC paths can contain spaces!!

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Shane Hancock Freitag, 24. Februar 2012 00:41
    Freitag, 24. Februar 2012 00:41
  • i have had a similar problem but fixed it ....this is how i did it 

if you have divx plus installed then uninstall and restart media center 

for some reason it doesn't like media center

Freitag, 2. März 2012 18:04