none
Cannot Shut Down Windows XP Mode session

Frage

• Hi
    Have been using xp mode sucessfully for a little while but today on starting up from hibernation (which takes a long time) I get a message "could not enable integration services". I have retried a number of times and when I continue I get a blank window.
    I have tried to "shut down" using CTR+ALT-DEL button and also CTR+ALT+END to no effect. It will only hibernate.

I am also running a VM vista with no problems.

How can I recover XP Mode?

Regards
    Edwin
    Montag, 2. November 2009 11:06

Antworten

Alle Antworten

• Can you try to shutdown the VM and then restart. You can get tips to shutdown the VM from here http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/archive/2009/10/29/tip-how-do-i-shut-down-a-virtual-machine.aspx
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen artiste1 Montag, 2. November 2009 11:47
    • Als Antwort markiert Vivian Xing Montag, 16. November 2009 06:25
    Montag, 2. November 2009 11:41
  • Thanks Palash
    Changed settings from hibernate to shut down. Lost some work but now back up and running.

Regards
    Edwin
    • Als Antwort markiert Vivian Xing Montag, 16. November 2009 06:25
    Montag, 2. November 2009 11:54
  • alternately, open a cmd prompt, and type "shutdown /s /t 00"
    to reboot, "shutdown /r /t 00"
    Montag, 2. November 2009 20:12
  • I'm getting the same issue, complete with the whole "integration features disabled" thing.  Changed from hibernate to Shut Down, but all I get is the black screen, and when I try to shut down manually, I get "The virtual machine is shutting down.  Please wait for the operation to complete."  Well, I've been waiting for 10 minutes and I still get a black screen. Can't do anything; can't seem to force a manual shutdown no matter what I do.  And the shutdown command line action won't work because I can't get to a command line on the virtual machine.  Too bad you can't shut the virtual machine down from the Windows 7 command line.
    Sonntag, 3. Januar 2010 15:56
  • I'm getting the same issue, complete with the whole "integration features disabled" thing.  Changed from hibernate to Shut Down, but all I get is the black screen, and when I try to shut down manually, I get "The virtual machine is shutting down.  Please wait for the operation to complete."  Well, I've been waiting for 10 minutes and I still get a black screen. Can't do anything; can't seem to force a manual shutdown no matter what I do.  And the shutdown command line action won't work because I can't get to a command line on the virtual machine.  Too bad you can't shut the virtual machine down from the Windows 7 command line.
    OK, I did a "turn off" this time around, and I'm back in business.  I had restarted earlier today, so I don't think I lost any data.  Woo.  
    Sonntag, 3. Januar 2010 16:04
  • Hi Mike Loux:
       I have exactly the same problem with not being able to shut down XP in the Virtual Window of Win 7 Prof.  Unlike your success, whenever I restart my entire system from Win 7, and restart Win XP, I am still in the same boat of not being able to shut down the Virtual Window.  Also, the other person who said that they cannot get a command line, I wonder if they tried just getting to the "Run" window. You don't need to open a DOS command line window. Anyway, nothing that I do will allow the window to shut down, although I get the pop up window telling me to "The Virtual machine is Shutting Down, Wait for the operation to complete".  The problem is that no matter how many hours I wait, it never shuts down.  I also have done Win Updates and agreed to their shutdown menu, but nothing shuts down.  I also have the yellow question marks next to the "Virtual PC Integration Device" under "Other Devices" in Device Manager. The suggestions from other Support articles to right click them and search for drivers in the Virtual PC directory underr Program Files, also fails (no driver found). The command line shutdown commands also do not work on my sytem in XP window. The DOS window pops up and disappears quickly like it received the command from the run window, but still the Win XP virtual window still won't shut down. The odd thing is that if I select Hypernate rather than close or restart, it hybernates just fine.
    Sonntag, 7. Februar 2010 00:43
  • Hi Mike Loux:
       I have exactly the same problem with not being able to shut down XP in the Virtual Window of Win 7 Prof.  Unlike your success, whenever I restart my entire system from Win 7, and restart Win XP, I am still in the same boat of not being able to shut down the Virtual Window.  Also, the other person who said that they cannot get a command line, I wonder if they tried just getting to the "Run" window. You don't need to open a DOS command line window. Anyway, nothing that I do will allow the window to shut down, although I get the pop up window telling me to "The Virtual machine is Shutting Down, Wait for the operation to complete".  The problem is that no matter how many hours I wait, it never shuts down.  I also have done Win Updates and agreed to their shutdown menu, but nothing shuts down.  I also have the yellow question marks next to the "Virtual PC Integration Device" under "Other Devices" in Device Manager. The suggestions from other Support articles to right click them and search for drivers in the Virtual PC directory underr Program Files, also fails (no driver found). The command line shutdown commands also do not work on my sytem in XP window. The DOS window pops up and disappears quickly like it received the command from the run window, but still the Win XP virtual window still won't shut down. The odd thing is that if I select Hypernate rather than close or restart, it hybernates just fine.
    STEP #2
    The next thing I tried was uninstalling the Virtual PC from the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. This resulted in allowing me to be able to shut down the Virtual PC window from within XP, partially solving my problem.  Of course, the problem is that I don't have the Integrated Features anymore which makes using the virtual window very limiting (window won't resize and the hassle of having to Ctrl-Alt-Del in order to get the mouse pointer out of the window.

STEP #3
    Finally, I decided to reinstall the Virtual PC Integration Components from the menu bar of the Virtual PC window, figuring that a clean install might help things out and it did. Previously, I had selected "Disable Integration Features" from the Tools menu, but that did not solve the shutdown problem.  Instead a complete uninstall of the features was required from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and then a reinstallation of the same program.   Now the virtual window with WinXP will close down as its supposed to and all problems seem to be resolved.  The Ctrl-Alt-Del button on the menu bar, now responds as is should and the Windows Security shutdown option window appears as it should, allowing shutdown. 
    Sonntag, 7. Februar 2010 01:36
  • I experienced the same hanging at vm shutdown/restart. I can confirm that running the shutdown command from the command prompt running as administrator works. Also, choosing shutdown or restart from the Ctrl-Alt-Del menu item also works. The code associated with the Action menu item is flawed, and its use should be avoided.

-- legacydude

Sonntag, 30. Januar 2011 22:08
  • I am having same problem as you all described, black screen and inabiliaty to close.  I have another user account on my computer and when I switch to that user the program is working well.  The only problem is it has does not have programs installed. 

Instead of uninstalling first, I'm in process of reinstalling.  Hopefully that will work and maybe it will save my software already installed on XP Mode.

Marty

Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012 17:11
  • Maybe this can help someone else with the same issue...

I fixed the problem this way:

1. Open Task-Manger an kill the "Virtual PC Prozess" vpc.exe

2. Go to: "C:\Users\%YOURNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Computer\"

3. Delete the file named "Windows XP Mode.vsv". It's the so called "Saved State". You could loose data if there's something unsaved in your Virtual XP.

Note: if you moved or saved your XPMode-vhd to another location, find the correct path by opening the file "Windows XP Mode.vmcx" in "C:\Users\%YOURNAME%\Virtual Machines" directory with notepad.

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen TEHM Freitag, 22. Juni 2012 12:00
    Donnerstag, 15. März 2012 13:39
  • I figured out why mine didn't work either.

I have Windows 7 on my desktop. My kids have their own logon. They were administrators when I first installed it for them. Since it worked fine, I lowered them to Standard User and then I got the same problem described about Windows XP Mode no responding.

I placed them back as Administrators. restarted XP mode and now I have full control and it is responding again.

Hope this helps someone.

Paul

Montag, 3. Dezember 2012 03:05