none
Unable to copy files from local NTFS hard drive to external USB-connected drives.

Question

• Hi, I have problem copying files from my local hard disk drive to any external drive. When I copy the files using the Windows default copy handler, it stuck around 10% and lock my system up. Whenever I tried using third party copy handler such as TeraCopy, it stuck around there too, but doesn't lock the system up. However, I can't cancel the copy operation using both unless I force unplug my external drive. At first, I thought probably my external is going faulty, but I tried with few of them, and all didn't work. Copying to another internal, different partition however show no sign of problem.

Can anyone shed some light to my problem? I can't figure it out and it's bugging me the most.

Monday, March 14, 2011 12:31 AM

Answers

• run CHKDSK on the USB disk in case there is a problem

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Monday, March 14, 2011 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

What's the format of your external hard drive? NTFS or FAT?

Can you copy the file from your external USB to your local drive?

Try Clean Boot  to find if there any third party software conflicts. Temporarily disable the firewall as well.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the format of your external hard drive? NTFS or FAT?

Can you copy the file from your external USB to your local drive?

Try Clean Boot  to find if there any third party software conflicts. Temporarily disable the firewall as well.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:55 AM
  • Hi, sorry for late reply. Been busy with work. Yes, I can copy from the external drive without any problem. However copying files (not all of them) stuck at the same percentage no matter how many times I tried.

Edit: The external drive is formatted as NTFS. Checking with CHKDSK founds no error at all.

Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:25 AM