none
Reinstall OEM Windows XP without CD/DVD

Question

• Hi,

First, I don’t know if this is the correct place to ask this question, if it isn’t please let me know.

Ok, my problem is; I have a set of old computers with Windows XP Professional installed, but this Operative Systems have been installed from an OEM license.

So I only have a sticker the computer’s tower with a CD-KEY and I don’t have any kind of CD/DVD with the Windows XP.

Now, I need to format these computers and reinstall the Windows XP. How can I do it? I heard that in time Microsoft had some kind of .ISO that we could download and use to format these computers. Is this true or that is another solution?

Thank you very much for your help in advance,
    Mario Dourado

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

• The only way to acquire a genuine Windows XP .ISO image is to purchase a TechNet Standard (Retail) Subscription and then download a genuine Windows XP Professional w/SP3 image.  You would then proceed to install Windows XP Professional w/SP3 but do not enter the Windows XP Professional OEM product key that is affixed to the computer at this time.  After the installation is finsidhed, use the Windows XP Product Key Update Tool to enter the proper Windows XP Professional OEM product key.  Afterward, you will need to "activate by phone". 

Carey Frisch

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:31 PM