none
Task Manager not responding in Windows 7 RC

Question

• Every time I open the task manager, it will immediately lock up.  I get a message  that says Task Manager has stopped working.  After a bit, that says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? 

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Can you create the following registry key hierarchy in the registry:
    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\taskmgr.exe\ ]
    In the taskmgr.exe key, create a REG_EXPAND_SZ value named DumpFolder and set the data for the value to %systemdrive%\taskmgrdumps (e.g., c:\taskmgrdumps ).  Ensure the %systemdrive%\taskmgrdumps folder exists, and then cause the problem to happen.  There should be a dump file in %systemdrive%\taskmgrdumps.

ZIP the dump file, and then upload the ZIP file somewhere. (You may wish to password-protect the ZIP file, and privately share the password with those you choose to allow to examine the contents.  My email address is in my profile.)
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

Besides collecting the dump file for further troubleshooting, you can perform the following common methods in advance:

1. This issue can be related to corrupted system files, please run sfc.exe utility to scan the whole system files and automatically fix corrupted one.

1) Open a command prompt in elevated privileges. 
    2) Run the comand: sfc /scannow 

2. Perform a clean boot and see how it works.

1) Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    2) Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3) Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4) Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    5) Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue occurs the same, it is recommended to follow No.Compromise's steps to collect the dump file and share it with us. Thanks

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Can you create the following registry key hierarchy in the registry:
    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\taskmgr.exe\ ]
    In the taskmgr.exe key, create a REG_EXPAND_SZ value named DumpFolder and set the data for the value to %systemdrive%\taskmgrdumps (e.g., c:\taskmgrdumps ).  Ensure the %systemdrive%\taskmgrdumps folder exists, and then cause the problem to happen.  There should be a dump file in %systemdrive%\taskmgrdumps.

ZIP the dump file, and then upload the ZIP file somewhere. (You may wish to password-protect the ZIP file, and privately share the password with those you choose to allow to examine the contents.  My email address is in my profile.)
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

Besides collecting the dump file for further troubleshooting, you can perform the following common methods in advance:

1. This issue can be related to corrupted system files, please run sfc.exe utility to scan the whole system files and automatically fix corrupted one.

1) Open a command prompt in elevated privileges. 
    2) Run the comand: sfc /scannow 

2. Perform a clean boot and see how it works.

1) Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    2) Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3) Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4) Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    5) Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue occurs the same, it is recommended to follow No.Compromise's steps to collect the dump file and share it with us. Thanks

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Every time I open the task manager, it will immediately lock up.  I get a message  that says Task Manager has stopped working.  After a bit, that says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? 

Hi,
    That's something good Windows Error Reporting is working:),Have you performed a virus, antspyware and all the rest of the same kind?Try logging in safe mode see if acts the same way--only a few others alternatives.

Regards.  
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:33 PM
  • hi,

i have a problem here that i guess is different from the others ,

my task manager is opening for just one second and is going off

i tried doing what you said but when i tried doing that me command prompt also was not working!!!!

can you please tell me wat to do.........?

• Proposed as answer by isaac butt Monday, February 21, 2011 2:57 PM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 1:31 PM