none
BOOT.WIM AND INSTALL.WIM

General discussion

•  

I deleted this two components from my cpu and now am trying to upgrade from  vista business to vista ultimate and there is a problem when trying to download this two components it wont download in its original file.  How could I convert it to its original file when its coming from its original file but when downloaded to my cpu it goes to another file that does not support it?  Please somebody help me
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:51 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Before going further, please let me know the following points:

1.    How did you install Windows Vista?

2.    How and why did you delete boot.wim and install.wim?

3.    Boot.wim and install.wim should be in the Windows Vista disk. Did you copy them from the disk to the local hard drive and then delete them?

4.    What error message appears when upgrading from Windows Vista Business to Ultimate?

5.    What’s the brand and model of your computer?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Hi Felix,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, November 03, 2008 2:19 AM
  • 1st time user here so apologies for intruding..I googled and searched everywhere and could find nothing on install.win deletion. I have to ask if it is ok to delete this file as I am looking to free-up space on my laptop and this file wont defrag and its taking over 2gb from my drive. If It will make my system unstable I would no delete it so I guess Im looking for an ok on this. thanks ~rookie who wants more space~ lol

the file is located here:     C:\$WINDOWS.~LS\Sources\3f56131c-1a27-41f6-8fd2-2ff1f1dda80d/install.wim

btw...excellent forums..love the drop down feature :P
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:17 AM
  • 23 hours and no response..hmmm If I delete this file C:\$WINDOWS.~LS\Sources\3f56131c-1a27-41f6-8fd2-2ff1f1dda80d/install.wim will it affect my system??
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I keep asking myself why you want so badly to delete that file.

If you want to reinstall Vista why don't you rebuild the disk? Format it and install Vista Ultimate after.
    Just backup the information you need and reinstall. In 23hours you would have had time to do so 10 times.

Tim Quan? I have a question about WINPE. I got a post "Hacked All User Locked In Active Directory".
    I can't seem to get it working on my server.
    Can you help me please?

Thanks

Friday, June 12, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I keep asking myself why nobody can just give me a yes or no.

I have vista ultimate installed already...the reason for deletion of this file is because its one of the biggest files on my laptop with 2.5 gb.

I currently have 17% free space and Im looking to recover some and I assumed someone here could tell me how important this file is to my system..thats all..thanks in advance.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:01 AM
  • I took a risk as this laptop is on the fritz anyway..*file deleted* system is still in tact and now at 37% free capacity....maybe someone will find this post with the same question..tc
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Yes, you can delete install.wim, but you need to save it first because you will need it if you ever decide to reinstall Vista.
    An external disk storage or CD or flash stick might help with storage issues if you need more room on your hard drive.  Regards.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:51 AM
  • That should be a backup of the Windows Vista CD.  So yeah, I guess, but hold off on deleting BOOT.WIM.  install.WIM is to INSTALL Windows Vista, not maintain it.

C:\$WINDOWS.~LS\Sources <- Sources, A Directory on the Windows Vista CD.

-Boom1234

Friday, July 09, 2010 12:46 PM