none
Cannot find Creative Soundblaster Xtreme Audio sound card

Question

• My fairly new PC: Core2Quad Q6700 on ASUS P5K (Intel P35) with RealTek HD Audio chip, plus Creative Soundblaster Xtreme Audio internal sound card.

I've installed Windows 7RC on a new partition on my HD alongside Vista Ultimate. I've experienced no installation problem, but Win7RC does not recognize my SB sound card at all! So, I can't even update the driver!
    It recognized the Realtek chip and my external USB mic, but not the sound card that had been installed for audio quality!!

To come to think of it, I've had the problem with Vista, with my Dragon Naturally Speaking Pro 10.1 not recognizing the "existence of any sound system" in an administrator account I used to install the software. However, the software recognizes all my audio systems in my other user account (admin) and the software runs smoothly!!

Any connection? What's the problem here? Anyone have any idea?

Edit: I also found that the stereo mix feature of the Realtek HD audio isn't recognized either. (Recognized in Vista and my old XP)
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply.

RealTek High Definition Audio chip on the motherboard was enabled. I've tried both disabling and enabling it. No luck.

I'm getting the feeling that this has something to do with the quality of SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Audio card? It works fine for audio/music on Vista and is not recognized by my speech recognition software Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 in the same setup.

Maybe I need a new sound card.... *weeps*
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:19 AM

All replies

• is your card just an extreem or xfi?

try this page
    http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61105
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Thanks, mine is X-Fi Xtreme Audio, bought about a year ago.

The problem I'm having is that Windows 7 says there's no such sound card installed on my system. Vista does see it, and it works fine.

That's why I can't install or update the driver!! :(
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:01 AM
  • I have a X-FI xtreme audio (PCI) and got it working - the drivers I found on the official creative page didn't work for me... so I tried the drivers from here:
    http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=140803

they are unofficial, not released by creative! I downloaded v1.1, the current version is v1.5, I don't know if the new version works as well as the old one.
    One thing though: When I enabled Alchemy, Guild Wars couldn't be started (shut down immediately), without Alchemy enabled it works.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Edit: I also found that the stereo mix feature of the Realtek HD audio isn't recognized either. (Recognized in Vista and my old XP)
    I met the same issue, actually, on my laptop,only Xp can Recognize the Stereo Mix Device. e.g., my Thinkpad(T400), I installed 3 kinds of OS( xp/Vista/Windows7),only Xp can Recognize the Stereo Mix Device. I ever hoped Win7 can resolve this issue, but I feel very sad when I installed Win7.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Edit: I also found that the stereo mix feature of the Realtek HD audio isn't recognized either. (Recognized in Vista and my old XP)
    I met the same issue, actually, on my laptop,only Xp can Recognize the Stereo Mix Device. e.g., my Thinkpad(T400), I installed 3 kinds of OS( xp/Vista/Windows7),only Xp can Recognize the Stereo Mix Device. I ever hoped Win7 can resolve this issue, but I feel very sad when I installed Win7.

Too bad! I really hope it works out!

For those who found their solution to their audio driver issues, congrats! 

For me, however, the issue is not finding a compatible driver.
    It's a "the damn system can't even see the sound card installed in the PC" issue.
    Windows 7 is blind to the sound card, so it doesn't accept any driver. It says I don't have a sound card, just the RealTek chip on the mobo.

Well, the sound card isn't the best in the world, but if it is easily recognized by Vista and XP in the same PC configuration, why not Windows 7??

And someone has to look into the stereo mix disabled issue for RealTek, too!!  (-.-#)

JFYI, I've clean-installed everything from scratch--starting with my Vista Ultimate and then on to Windows 7 again. No luck whatsoever. I'm told I have no sound card. It does not exist in the Device Manager.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Do you have the onboard sound chip enabled? Maybe it doesn't detect your second sound card because of that? In most BIOSes you can disable the onboard chip - boot into Windows after that and see if it finds anything ;)
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

RealTek High Definition Audio chip on the motherboard was enabled. I've tried both disabling and enabling it. No luck.

I'm getting the feeling that this has something to do with the quality of SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Audio card? It works fine for audio/music on Vista and is not recognized by my speech recognition software Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 in the same setup.

Maybe I need a new sound card.... *weeps*
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I have a similar problem with win7 rc.  It doesn't even see my on-board sound device!  I have the drivers on cd but, there is no device to install them on (according to 7).  XP sees the device and loads the driver.  Is the sound device too old or something? I would appreciate any help.  Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by NAVYGASER Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:43 PM
  • All Hope Is Not Lost!  I had the exact same problem.

Creative released Windows 7 audio drivers (beta).  I installed these beta drivers for my XiFi Extreme Gamer audio card and now I have sound!!

Follow this link:  http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61105

Good Luck!
    • Proposed as answer by NAVYGASER Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:27 AM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Sorry, this was NOT the answer!  See my post to Brady C above.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I just installed Windows 7 Pro yesterday and it doesn't see my XiFi-Titanium Sound Blaster card. I'm going to try some of the solutions above ad see if they work...
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:12 PM
  • I've the same problem. Windows 7 RTM (7600) doesn't recognize the SB X-Fi Extreme Audio (SB0460) sound card. Add a New Hardware doesn't find any sound card attached to my Asus P6T Deluxe. Naturally, everything work OK under Windows XP Pro in the same hardware setup.
    It seems to me that I'll give up on Windows 7 and continoue use XP.
    It seems to me that I'm not alone in this story.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Thanks, mine is X-Fi Xtreme Audio, bought about a year ago.

The problem I'm having is that Windows 7 says there's no such sound card installed on my system. Vista does see it, and it works fine.

That's why I can't install or update the driver!! :(

I don't know why Win7 isn't detecting the card at all. Is it even showing up as as a mystery device in Device Manager?

By the way, the "X-Fi Extreme Audio" is apparently not based on the X-Fi chipset; it's a marketing exercise. You may need something other than X-Fi drivers to make it go, once you've got the basic hardware problem sorted.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:45 PM
  • You need to uninstall the drivers for your onboard audio. Go to device manager and find the sound controller. uninstall the driver or disable it. Turn off the computer ,then install your new soundcard, turn the computer back on and load the drivers.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Hey I managed to fix my problem. I don't know how it worked but first I installed the latest driver and creative update. Creative update couldn't detect my device, but device manager could. After reinstalling the driver for my card(the same one I had installed earlier) it worked fine.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:57 PM