none
Action Center keeps warning on Firewalls and Antivirus when it's already running.

Question

• Hello, I've just began to experience the following problem on my Windows 7 Professional Edition X64. I don't have this problem with my X86 editions.

The "Action Center" keeps appearing with a big red X on the Taskbar. When opened, it asks me to activate the firewall and/or the antivirus. I checked and found my ZoneAlarm and Avira (latest versions as of today) is already running. Selecting the action to run the software in the "Action Center" continues to yield the big red X with the warning messages.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Reset Repository

===========

1. Click “Start” button, type “cmd” (without the quote) in the search box.

2. On the program results list, right click the “cmd.exe” and choose “Run as administrator”.

3. In the command window, type the following commands and press Enter, one by one.

Net     Stop     Winmgmt

CD     /D     %Windir%\system32\wbem

Ren     Repository     Repository.old

Net     Start     Winmgmt

4. Restart the computer.

Does it work?

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you run System Restore to fix the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 19, 2010 7:46 AM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure Security Essentials works with Windows 7, since it is a Microsoft product.

I'm just trying to find out why after the last update, the Action Center now considers non-Microsoft products as non-functional.  If it was just ZoneAlarm, than I would install Comodo and see what happens.  But Avira is also effected.

Also, this appears to effect only the X64 version of Windows 7 Professional and not X84.  So, No, Microsoft is Not in a "conspiracy" mode here.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Reset Repository

===========

1. Click “Start” button, type “cmd” (without the quote) in the search box.

2. On the program results list, right click the “cmd.exe” and choose “Run as administrator”.

3. In the command window, type the following commands and press Enter, one by one.

Net     Stop     Winmgmt

CD     /D     %Windir%\system32\wbem

Ren     Repository     Repository.old

Net     Start     Winmgmt

4. Restart the computer.

Does it work?

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you run System Restore to fix the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 19, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Thanks.  This appears to work as I no longer got the warning messages popping up.

Also thanks for an intelligent response.  And here I thought that fanboys were an infestation that afflicts only Apple junks.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I have the same problem but I am using Norton. It doesn't help with Arthur's Reset Repository procedure. It seems to me that the Action Center scanned the system before Norton was up and running. Any other suggestion? Or can I simply ignor it, since Norton indicates that it is working well.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:39 PM