none
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5

Question

• I am unable to instal or update almost any program. I have found an answer in the Internet, but I either don't know how to do it or I don't do it correctly.  According to the answer - it is due to not having full access rights as administrator. How can I check it if I have full rights? - I think I have. I am the only user and the owner. UAC is disabled (Windows 7). And it is said that we must check whether the file RegSvr32 is on the computer (someimes it may be corrupted) I downloaded it from Microsoft.

So what else can I do? Because I am still unable to download programs - the same error persists. Please, help me. Thanks

Saturday, March 22, 2014 1:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is an error message generated by Windows (code 0x5 is Access Denied) due to not having the appropriate Windows Administrator rights, or the file regsvr32.exe is missing from the Windows operating system.

Make sure you are logged on as a Windows administrator with full access rights to the Windows registry.

Applying permissions to a Windows registry key:
    1.Click Start, In Windows 7 - in the 'Search programs and files' box, type 'Regedit' and press 'Return'
    2.In the 'Registry Editor' window, right-click the entry which you want to change, and choose 'Permissions'.
    3.The 'Permissions for <registry key name>' dialog is displayed.  From here you can select users and change their permissions.
    click 'Advanced' to open the 'Access Control Settings for <registry key name>' dialog box, and change users access control.
    4.When you have completed your changes, click 'Apply' and 'OK' to accept them.

If this is the case, check that the file regsvr32.exe is present.

I also would like to suggest you try SFC tool to check the issue. SFC tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Lastly, check that your anti-virus/spyware/firewall software is not preventing PDCWriter.exe from updating the Windows registry.You may check that your anti-virus/spyware/firewall software turn it off for now and then back on once you are done for a test.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 24, 2014 6:27 AM