none
Windows 7 64bit RTM hang up at bios boot auto detecting AHCI

Question

• I just download windows 7 64 bit RTM 2 days ago, after install windows reboot and hang up at Auto Detecting AHCI, with this problem I can not get into bios, If i want get into bios setup I have to unplug my SATA 320GB seagate hard drive. I did not have this problem with windows 7 RC version ( I use the same configuration and the same hard drive to test). Please help.
    system hardware information: Asus P5b deluxe with latest bios / CPU Intel E8500 / memory 1G x 4 = 4G Buffalo firestix / creative X-fi express / 320G seagate hard drive / EVGA 8800GT / Antec earthwats 550 / sata dvd cd rw

Monday, August 10, 2009 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi jtclh,

Before moving on, I would like to share the computer boot process for you.

When the computer's power is first turned on, the CPU initializes itself and look to the system's ROM BIOS for its first instruction in the startup program. Then, if the BIOS does not detect a battery failure, it then continues to initialize the CPU, checking the inventoried hardware devices. If all components are functioning properly, BIOS will look for an OS to load. The BIOS setting (Boot Sequence) tell computer where to find OS.

On the problem, computer hangs before loading OS (Windows 7), so it should not be a Windows 7 problem. It may be a hardware problem. Given the situation, I suggest you reset BIOS setting to test the issue. If the issue still persists, it is recommended to contact Manufacturer Support to address the issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi jtclh,

Before moving on, I would like to share the computer boot process for you.

When the computer's power is first turned on, the CPU initializes itself and look to the system's ROM BIOS for its first instruction in the startup program. Then, if the BIOS does not detect a battery failure, it then continues to initialize the CPU, checking the inventoried hardware devices. If all components are functioning properly, BIOS will look for an OS to load. The BIOS setting (Boot Sequence) tell computer where to find OS.

On the problem, computer hangs before loading OS (Windows 7), so it should not be a Windows 7 problem. It may be a hardware problem. Given the situation, I suggest you reset BIOS setting to test the issue. If the issue still persists, it is recommended to contact Manufacturer Support to address the issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

Had this on my system too  - an Asus P5VM-HDMI with intel RAID contoller similar to yours. The Win 7 Beta was fine, you could install in AHCI mode, then the RC and RTM seem to have the same problem.

As far as I can tell when Win 7 installs with AHCI it writes something strange to the disk (somewhere but I've not got time to try and find where!) - so when it reboots during install you get the hang in the bios and have to unplug the drive to get into the bios.

So to get round the bug in the end I installed in IDE mode, then did the registry edit ( search google for how to enable AHCI after install - the driver is here but disabled (msahci)) or install the Intel ICH7 or 9 driver for vista, then reboot and go into the BIOS and change to AHCI. You should be up and running.

Now one final thing - if your HDD now can't be recognised by Win 7 at install or worse still by the bios even in IDE mode - all is not lost - if you can find another computer that takes it use a linux boot CD with a wiping program on or similar - wipe the drive then it should be OK to install again (but use the IDE method above!)

Hope this helps and makes sense - and Microsoft / Intel /Asus take note!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem (ASUS P5K Premium). After some investigation I can say that the problem may occur when installing Windows 7 on an unallocated disk space (as in my case). During installation windows creates 2 primary partitions in additon to which it copies files. If you already have some primary or extended partitions it confuses HDD (or BIOS) in some way.

I have switched SATA to IDE mode, loaded from Linux boot CD (fortunately I have that), removed those win7 partitions and created new partition. After reboot I successfully enabled AHCI and installed win7 into that partition and get problem solved.

So whom I thank for fun the whole weekend, Microsoft for a cool installer or ASUS, for a smart BIOS?

Hope this helps.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Same issue with ASUS P5E. I sent my drive in for replacement and turns out it's fine.

Looks like an ASUS BIOS issue (since all our boards are ASUS). Could MS get ASUS to fix this since they are more likely to listen to you than us randoms.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 7:33 PM
  • After some investigation I can say that the problem may occur when installing Windows 7 on an unallocated disk space (as in my case). During installation windows creates 2 primary partitions in additon to which it copies files. If you already have some primary or extended partitions it confuses HDD (or BIOS) in some way.
    I can confirm this, I have another partition on my OS drive and was installing to a new partition.

Just coming by to tell you that I have just experienced the same issue with an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard. Reinstalled Windows 7 and after a reboot, the BIOS process halts when detecting AHCI on same disk Win7 is installed on to. It corrupts something on the disk, that is for sure.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:56 AM
  • I am having the same issue with my ASUS P5E3 Premium board.  I installed Windows 7 by booting from the CD-ROM and deleting all the partitions and letting the setup create the new partitions automatically.  Once installed I rebooted and it hung up at the staring windows screen.  When I rebooted the I got the 'Auto-Detecting AHCI Port 1' message where it hangs indefinitely.  I switched back to IDE mode and it booted up just fine.  There is something being written to these drives that the ASUS boards do not like.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:20 AM
  • I am so happy I found this forum. I have exactly the same problem, but could really not understand what is going on. Only I have a Gigabyte motherboard, but the issue is exactly the same.

Hardware:
    Gigabyte GA-P965-DS4 (Latest BIOS, F12)
    Intel E6600

I had 2 versions of Windows on my PC; Windows XP installed on one disk, and Windows 7 RC on another disk. I could choose which OS to start by changing the HD boot order in the BIOS. I had AHCI enabled in BIOS, and both Windows XP and Windows 7 RC were installed in AHCI mode. For Windows XP this required the use of a disk and the F6 driver load, the Windows 7 RC installation required nothing special. The system ran perfectly, never had any problem with it at all.
    Now I decided to replace the Windows 7 RC versions with the a final Windows 7 Ultimate. I booted from the Windows 7 DVD, removed the 2 partitions associated with Windows 7 RC (the Windows 7 RC partition and the 100 MB system partition that Windows creates upon installation). This left one partition on this hard disk, which is my Data partition. I created a new partition for Windows 7, it again creates the 100 MB system partition, and Windows installs without any problem.
    But then it reboots, and it hangs at booting, even before I can enter the BIOS. So the only way to get into the BIOS is opening the PC and resetting the BIOS by shorting the correct jumper. This enables me to load the default BIOS and enter the BIOS menu. When I then set IDE mode in BIOS, Windows starts normally. But if I set it again to AHCI, I get the same problem, and the PC hangs during the boot.
    I really do not understand this problem, since Windows 7 was installed with AHCI mode enabled. I never put it on IDE mode, but now that is the only way to start the PC.

Is there a solution for this problem?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:40 PM
  • I'm getting the same problem with an Asus P5E, Windows 7 32 bit and a WD5000AAKS hard drive. Anyone got a resolution yet? I really want to run AHCI but can't swap without it hanging. And yes i've tried the registry edit even though this is occurring well before windows should be getting involved.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:48 AM
  • I would guess it is probably the ASUS motherboard that everybody is having a problem with.

I have an ABIT IX48 GT3 motherboard and Win7 RC had been installed in IDE mode. When I learned about AHCI and Win7's requirement to install clean if AHCI is selected in the BIOS that's what I did when I installed Win7 final in November. I switched the BIOS to AHCI, booted from the Win7 DVD and installed on the same partition as the RC had been installed. No problems, everything is running just fine. The .OLD folder had been created and was eventually removed.

I would complain to ASUS about this problem - not here.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:34 PM
  • I am having the same problem on an intel mobo with Windows 2008 R2. enable AHCI under bios setting. install the windows and it got hanged on restart after windows was successfully installed. didnt have this problem when windows 2008 x64 was installed on the same system.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:05 PM
  • the problem is in disk geometry detection in AHCI mode. for example:

1. get empty disk. check didk geometry with system info. you will see Tracks/Cylinder = 255, Sectors/Track = 63. Create 100MB NTFS partition with Windows Disk Manager. Reboot. Check disk geometry - it changes!

2. Why disk geometry changed? because BIOS thinked that partition end is aligned to end of cylinder. So it uses END CHS value for first partition and LBA END for counting new geometry. In my case I saw the following

record in master boot record. 
    END CHS = DF 13 0C (END HEAD = 0xDF) Disk Geometry Tracks/Cylinder chaged after reboot from 255 to 224. 224 = 0xE0 = 0xDF + 1

As you can see DISK GEOMETRY IS DETERMINED BY END CHS VALUE FOR 1ST PARTITON

3. Now imaging the following you again get empty disk with geometry 255/63. Create partition with size 101MB or 352MB or 705MB or there are pretty much other sizes. These sizes are specific - after creating partition with this size you will get ZERO in end chs for 1st partition.
    Reboot now - and you will see that bios hangs - cause disk must have positive Tracks/Cylinder.

How to fix this?
    -DO NOT USE AHCI
    or
      -use large 1st partitions more than 8GB (end chs for such partition always FE FF FF).

• Proposed as answer by bigcat2009 Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:30 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:36 AM
  • I came here to make a correction, that this is not what is happening to me. My MBR file is perfectly normally, and I even looked up what each value of my 16 byte partition table was equivalent to, and did not see anything out of the ordinary. In fact, the value of the head of my last CHS is 0x0B, and my Tracks/Cylinder is 240.

I'd hate to shoot you down, as your post made me go learn some new stuff about MBR's today, but obviously my disk's partition table does not have an issue with its geometry; yet it still will not get detected by the AHCI Bios and hangs with the code 23. 

I'm not sure why your disk had weird geometry issues, but it also seems you're not interpreting the hex values in your MBR correctly. I'm also not exactly sure what you're trying to show with the part about the record in your mbr, but it seems English isn't your first language so your point could be lost in translation.

Monday, July 19, 2010 8:52 AM
  • "My MBR file is perfectly normally"

please send me mbr file.  my email is filippov@paragon-software.com.

There can be other reasons also - for example - start chs is larger than end chs
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:58 AM
  • the problem is in disk geometry detection in AHCI mode. for example:

1. get empty disk. check didk geometry with system info. you will see Tracks/Cylinder = 255, Sectors/Track = 63. Create 100MB NTFS partition with Windows Disk Manager. Reboot. Check disk geometry - it changes!

2. Why disk geometry changed? because BIOS thinked that partition end is aligned to end of cylinder. So it uses END CHS value for first partition and LBA END for counting new geometry. In my case I saw the following

record in master boot record. 
    END CHS = DF 13 0C (END HEAD = 0xDF) Disk Geometry Tracks/Cylinder chaged after reboot from 255 to 224. 224 = 0xE0 = 0xDF + 1

As you can see DISK GEOMETRY IS DETERMINED BY END CHS VALUE FOR 1ST PARTITON

3. Now imaging the following you again get empty disk with geometry 255/63. Create partition with size 101MB or 352MB or 705MB or there are pretty much other sizes. These sizes are specific - after creating partition with this size you will get ZERO in end chs for 1st partition.
    Reboot now - and you will see that bios hangs - cause disk must have positive Tracks/Cylinder.

How to fix this?
    -DO NOT USE AHCI
    or
      -use large 1st partitions more than 8GB (end chs for such partition always FE FF FF).

IVAN!

You were 100% correct. Thank you. I had been formatting the very beginning of a drive with a 4096 MB partition to use as page file. However, when I had that drive plugged into the Intel AHCI enabled ports on my motherboard, it would hang at drive detection. When I unplugged the drive or plugged it into the GSATA/JMICRON AHCI enabled ports BIOS would recognize the drive just fine. I changed the partition size to 4097 after reading your post and all of a sudden it loads fine on the Intel AHCI ports.

I'm guessing anything greater than 8GB partition size is guaranteed to not have the problem. I took a chance by adding 1 MB to my partition size and it worked fine.

For those of you who are getting stuck at a Windows 7 install, during install create the partition you want to install windows on before clicking next so that Windows 7 doesn't automatically create that 101MB recovery partition at the very beginning.

My Hardware:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Intel ICH10R in AHCI mode

I had this problem with Western Digital, Samsung, and Hitachi drives.

• Proposed as answer by niksus Friday, July 27, 2012 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Unfortunately it's not true that "... anything greater than 8GB partition size is guaranteed to not have the problem ..."

I have the same board -- EP45-UD3P -- and had decided to switch to AHCI mode for a storage upgrade I did last week.    I tested by switching the Windows 7 install to AHCI mode, and it worked perfectly.    I then added 3 1.5TB Caviar Blacks ... and Voila !!    Fails in detection every time.    These drives all have a single 1.5TB partition [substantially larger than 8GB :-) ].     There may be a simple way to "fool" the AHCI scan into working okay;  but I couldn't keep the system down long enough to "play around" any more, so I just switched it back to IDE mode.

I'm not likely to even try anything else unless someone has a directly applicable experience that will resolve this with very high confidence ==> the need to open the case (VERY difficult to get to in its normal location) and unplug all the drives to boot to the BIOS makes this a non-trivial setup to experiment with.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:18 AM
  • After succesfully using AHCI on my ASUS P5B with mechanic drives (40, 80, 100 & 120GB) I bought a SSD (Crucial M4 - 64GB) and am not able to use AHCI anymore (stuck on POST, like above).

This forum topic is the only topic I found after searching several hours.

I did let the WIN-7 64bits (Pro, SP1) install the 100MB partition during setup. From the Windows Diskmanager it looks like there are only 2 partitions, but using Paragon Disk manager, I see 4:

Does anyone have a clue what to do?

1. Can I move the 2nd partition to the beginning of the drive?
    2. Do I have to resize it or not?
    3. The last 1.3MB unallocated disk space is weird. Can I resize my windows partition?

To be honest, I am a little fed-up with reinstalling windows every time. So I would like to try without having to reinstall...

Monday, December 26, 2011 10:05 AM