none
4 gigs of memry or 8 gigs

Question

• Hello just wondering if 8 gigs of memory would increase performance running win 7 64 pro or just stay with 4
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:44 PM

Answers

• OK, now I see why you have trouble. I have a much more modest 8600GT that does not even need a supplemental power connector.

Still you should be able to put a stick of RAM in each slot. The card spec is supposed to have some room under it, looking at the pic, I see its a tight spot beside the memory. Still it should be OK. The clips are under the video card.

It looks like it should be OK to put 4 sticks on it. Like I said, yank the video card to make room, then secure the RAM, and gently put the video card back in.

Even with taller RAM, it should just fit. But I do see its very close. On my board, the RAM is more away from the slot as the PCIe x1 slot is short. Gigabyte put the memory more to the center of the board, not sure what for, but they did.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: IBM PC 300GL, Pentium III 667, Linux Server, has a 137GB disk limit, making it useless for upgrading my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• Increasing the amount of memory only helps if you are running low, and the system is having to actively use its paging file. Without knowing what kind of workload your system is running, it's hard to say. If you are never using more than 4GB, then no - increasing the amount of RAM won't do anything. If you are routinely using more than 4GB, then yes, increasing the available memory will help.

Let me add, you can run the task manager, and see how much RAM your system is using total. It has a graph that can show you peaks in memory usage as well, so you might leave it running while you work, and periodically check it to see if you are going beyond 4GB, and if so, how often.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hi, Under normal use 4GB of Ram is more then enought.

If you want to run more the one Virtual machine ( Yes.)

If you have programs that use a lot of memory ( Yes.)

If you can at good price. ( Yes. )

Slan go foill, Paul
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Thanks Henry I will more than likely just use 4 gigs and save the other 4 for a rainy day
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Thanks Artiste , but what about if I do film editing from my Sony hd sr12 camcorder with Vegas software. 
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:40 AM
  • This depends on if you need more than 8GB memory. For home use computer, I think 4GB memory is enough as other hardware devices will also affect the computer performance but not only memory.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Hi Azblue, Film and Video editing would require a lot of memory. 

Slan go foill, Paul 
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Thanks Vegan fanatic. I will only be using the milder Sony Vegas 9.b platinum, but I will try both to see how it works. PS., I like your user name. How did u think about using such an awesome user name? Thanks again
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:49 AM
  • thanks  Shaon Shan. I think I will try 4 gigs first and 8 later. I have heard also that too much memory can decrease performance and put more stress on the ram and processor if over clocking, and even slow your computer down. I will let the Forum know after I install my new Gigabyte board tomorrow.  
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hello Vegan Fanatic, I really like your website especially my wife since she might want to buy the Teflon type which makes sense. I presently have 4 sticks x 2gigs each of g skill 1066 ram. Slots 1 and 3 are for 4 gigs only and 2 and 4 are for 8 gigs. So I assume you are saying just use 2 sticks = 4 gigs for now. Thanks again
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Hi Vegan thanks for very helpful info. I just upgraded my Gigabyte board to X48-DQ6 and so far I have only installed 6 gigs cause I am having a problem trying to install my lat stick of Ram but it does not seem to fit due to the large graphics card. This new board rocks, however I wanted to ask you one last question. will 6 gigs work as ddr2 since one bank is open or should I go back to 4 or try like you said maybe try to force the last stick to give me 8 gigs. Thanks again, azblue
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Hi Vegan I was unaware of the votes, so I have left you with all helpful votes. Thank you, azblue. PS., I am a rookie in this forum but hopefully will learn.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:22 AM
  • Thanks Vegan, but I am surprised that my new motherboard with Intel's new tech has I identified 3 sticks as Flex memory and are running 6 gigs at ddr2 at 3.83 cpu speed and 1066. I have always been an AMD fan and still am, but I figured I would try Intel once, and not a bad so far. The GA X48 DQ6 has incorporated both Intel and Gigabyte chips and can run two different type of raids= GA JMICRON, and Intel ICH9R,10R. The E8400 is running stable at 3.83 but with large case, cooler, and 6 fans. Happy Halloween. 
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi Vegan, the Darn BFG 9800 GTX+ IS HUGE, but I will try to install the other stick as long as it does not slow my cpu down.  The new Giaga board is actually nice cause it is the first one that has huge space between pci and pci 2 + quad bios and triple phase cooling. I have used Asus and Msi, but I seem to like Giabyte for quite a few reasons, but that is only my 2 cents opinion.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hi Vegan I finally got the last Ram in. I pushed down a bit on the video card and used a screwdriver to lock it in. I agree that card is too big but can not afford right now to change while it still works, and thanks to Riva Tuner, it runs a bit cooler boosting the fan speed fro 25% to 68. Have a great week. 
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Hi Vegan I have a large all aluminum Shark tower with tons of space, and twin rail power supply with dual pci power outlets, 8 sata ins, flopy, and ide 133. I have also added a huge Tuniq cooler +6 fans. The one fault is definitely the large video card. I have however noticed no speed or load time difference from 6 gigs to 8, but hopefully it will help when I do hd film editing. 
    Monday, November 02, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Hi Vegan I already have a 650 wat dual rail Enermax sli ready. I have all the bells and whistles on this cpu and i Ican overclock to 4156 gpu temp 45, core temps 37 ram 950. The system rocks along with an 36-inch 1080p monitor +satellite built in tuner and my creative labs card goes to my Yamaha receiver that powers 12 speakers and 2 subs. I build computers for a part time job, but I am not used to win 7 yet. I just love my toys. Thanks again
    Monday, November 02, 2009 6:18 PM
  • good to know that the large monitor does not effect my video card. I have lowered my cpu speed to 3.83 for stability. I paid for your tube download but win 7 will not download. I may have to contact the co. or get a refund.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Thanks vegan, I have not played games yet. I love to edit hd content, and mainly research new hardware, cpus hard drives etc. My e 8400 has been very stable for 2 years and has never exceeded 57 celsius under cpu load. The wright mother board, tower and especially cooling makes a huge difference. the only issue I have is that I see no difference in performance from 4 gigs 1066 g skill, 6 gigs or 8 gigs. I just hope it will help with hd editing. Whoever made this E 8400 chip should of been quite a smart cookie. This chip rockets with no sweat at a fair price. Thanks again, but please explain to me about my refresh rate of my monitor which is only 60 ghz and my display is at 1366 x 768
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Hi

If you are going to do video editing, (I use Premiere a lot) go with 8 gigs of ram.
    Ram is really dirt cheap now, I have a new computer coming on Friday and it has 8 gigs of ram and two, 1TB hard drives.
    It cost me about $100 to go from 4 to 8 gigs on my setup.

Mike
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Thanks Mike, but will it slow down my computer for other applications
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 6:29 PM
  • I will have to put the other ram back then. Thanks
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Thanks Vegan, I did put it in and deciced to pull it out for another comptuer build, but I changed my mind again , but now will leave it alone. Thanks, azblue
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:53 PM
  • All is ok for now and running stable at 3.83, cpu temp 25 C, ram 930, 8 gigs G Skill, cpu voltage 1.27 multiplier 8 running great, cool and stable, 4.6 tb 5 HDDS, 6X BLUE RAY Burner, DVD RAM Panosonic , Plextor premium csrw, e 8400 stepping revision 6, Tuniq cooller + 6 fans, huge all aluminum SHARK TOWER GIGA BOARD X48 DQ6 And now added a seventh fan= great, but EXPENSIVE. I have done construction work all my life but he last 8 years I have fell in love with my toys. Is it worth it? In my opinion yes. I have worked hard for 42 years and can't take anything with me when our Lord calls for us, so might as well enjoy for now. Have a beautiful weekend
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:59 AM