none
Windows Vista home premium has reverted to old format - how can i fix this?

Question

• On Tuesday I turned on my laptop to discover that windows vista home premium had reverted to the old style. I'm using a Toshiba laptop (Satellite). The toolbars are now grey and the circular start logo has been replaced with the old rectangle, the dialogue boxes are old style too.

I was prompted to install the service pack 2 which I did smoothly but no change and then today I was prompted to install a further 59 updates which I did and after restarting my laptop still no change.

I've ran a virus check and no threats were found. I've also deleted some stuff off my laptop and tried to clear it out but no change.

I'm not very technicallly minded but would really like this fixed. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:03 PM

All replies

• On Tuesday I turned on my laptop to discover that windows vista home premium had reverted to the old style. I'm using a Toshiba laptop (Satellite). The toolbars are now grey and the circular start logo has been replaced with the old rectangle, the dialogue boxes are old style too.

You mean the ones like Windows 2000, where windows and dialog boxes have grey backgrounds and dark blue colour in titlebar?

If yes, somehow the Windows theme might have been switched to Windows Classic. 

Right-click an empty area on the Desktop > Personalize. Now select Theme under Personalization. In the Theme Settings window, select "Windows Vista" theme from the dropdown. Click OK to apply the theme.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:53 AM
  • That worked. Great. Thank you.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:46 PM
  • This happened to me today but it doesn't have the 'windows vista' option - just windows classic and modified theme! How do I get back to windows vista look?
    • Proposed as answer by Nnae Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:12 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nnae Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:13 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Same thing here.  I no longer have the Windows Vista Theme and cannot find it.  
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:43 PM
  • This worked for me:

Type SERVICES into the Start Search field > hit ENTER > In Services go to THEMES > click on it to highlight > on the left top click "Restart the service" > go back into themes and windows vista theme should be there now.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:08 PM