none
create an association for email

Question

• when I try to use the send to feature from my pictures or m desktop in the new windows 8 it gives me an error message: no email association. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed create an association in default programs control panel 

I have tried to no avail can anyone shed some light on this.....every other computer I have had has done this automatically

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked whether the Protocols associate to this application? Please check it in Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:03 AM
  • I checked mine, and "MAILTO" is associated with "Mail", but I still get the aforementioned error message. I've also gone to Default Programs like the prompt said and selected "Set this program as default", but it doesn't fix the issue. (also went to Set Program Access and Computer Defaults and got a chuckle out of the caption "...which programs are accessible from the Start menu, desktop, and other locations". I hope you folks get why so many customers consider Win8 to be a half-baked effort.)

Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:01 PM
  • I checked mine, and "MAILTO" is associated with "Mail", but I still get the aforementioned error message. I've also gone to Default Programs like the prompt said and selected "Set this program as default", but it doesn't fix the issue. (also went to Set Program Access and Computer Defaults and got a chuckle out of the caption "...which programs are accessible from the Start menu, desktop, and other locations". I hope you folks get why so many customers consider Win8 to be a half-baked effort.)

What if you remove the Mail app and install it again? Would it fix something?

And, by the way, I believe, you can't send anything from a desktop application to a Modern app without using the Share option in charms, am I wrong?

At least for me choosing the Send to|Mail recipient in Windows Explorer does absolutely nothing at all! Noting happens when I choose it. However, if I start a Modern file manager, such as, say, Modern Commander, select a file from there and choose Share from its charms, I can easily mail the chosen file using the Mail app.

So, please be sure to run a Modern app to be able to share data with another Modern app such as the Mail app.

As a workaround for your task, if you do not want to install a Modern file manager, you may consider installing Clipboard Modern application. When installed, all you have to do to send a chosen image from the Windows Explorer is to press Ctrl+C in Windows Explorer for the selected image file, open Clipboard app, click Share and choose Mail from the right-hand bar.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:13 PM