none
an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data (Vista)

Question

• Hi All,

I have read most of the messages related to this. Unfortunately ASUS doesn't ship with a Vista disk and the Recovery DVD doesn't boot.

Details shown are

File:   \Boot\BCD

Info:  "an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

Operating medium - Windows Vista

Any suggestions, Pls? I may have to return to Techs who MAY have a Vista disk.

Cheers

Saturday, February 09, 2008 5:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Wawny,

Thank you for the post.

The error message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing.

We can try to use the following methods to troubleshoot the issue. However, performing the following steps requires a Windows Vista installation disk. If you do not have a disk, please contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft Customer Service or to obtain one.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What’s the result?

If it is inconvenient for your to obtain a Windows Vista disk, you may contact your computer manufacturer to restore the system to its factory settings. Before doing this, please back up your important files.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Wawny,

Thank you for the post.

The error message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing.

We can try to use the following methods to troubleshoot the issue. However, performing the following steps requires a Windows Vista installation disk. If you do not have a disk, please contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft Customer Service or to obtain one.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What’s the result?

If it is inconvenient for your to obtain a Windows Vista disk, you may contact your computer manufacturer to restore the system to its factory settings. Before doing this, please back up your important files.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:23 AM
  • ok i am having the same problem with a Toshiba sat laptop.
    can you give me hand i tried that one but to avail.
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Thats nice and everything, but what I'm concerned most about is doing all these steps and tehn somehow getting my computer reformatted. I got the same exact message, and it tells me to put in the dish, do the language and repair etc...but will it cause my computer to reformat?
    Friday, September 05, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Thats nice and everything, but what I'm concerned most about is doing all these steps and tehn somehow getting my computer reformatted. I got the same exact message, and it tells me to put in the dish, do the language and repair etc...but will it cause my computer to reformat?
    Friday, September 05, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Same happened to my Tosh Sat laptop, did you manage to recover your system

Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:16 AM
  • I have this same problem. I, however, can't get my Vista installation disc to boot. After loading the files it just goes to a black screen and reboots.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:51 PM
  • I have this problem at least once a month now, the system repair option fixes it every time without data loss but if your traveling and don't have your Vista Installation DVD your toast.   My concern is why is this happening so often and what can be done to prevent it from happening?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Hello Wawny,

I too am having the same problem this morning.  I have the reinstallation DVD windows Vista hOME PREMIUM 32BIT disc from dell, but it will not start up when I reboot my computer.  The only two things I can do is F2 start up and F12 boot menu. 

I don't see anywhere on those two areas that says repair. 

If I do find a way to reinstall, will I lose all of my data in outlook, pictures, itunes, etc? I'm concerned I will lose all data (outlook, etc.)

I noticed there are several people reporting this issue today.  Could this be the same issue that is causing this to happen to XL users too (some sort of security update)?

Thanks,
    Pam
    • Proposed as answer by DPTechWizKid Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:53 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Hello,
    Have you resolved the problem?  If so, please let me know what you had to do.  I'm having the same issue today.  I have the re-install disc, but I get the same black screen and errors you have listed above. I does not give me the option to boot from CD or DVD. 

Did you lose all of your data you had on your computer (outlook emails, pics, itunes, doc files, etc.?)

Thanks, Pam

Friday, February 12, 2010 3:59 PM
  • This same error occurs everytime we reboot the machine.  Running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit:

Windows failed to start. Recent hardware or software changes might be the problem.

File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

The following startup options were added:
    Name: Window Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
    Path: Windows
    Windows Device: Partition=C: (40960 MB)

Have tried all the options provided in this post (e.g., Rebuilding the BCD, repairing the OS, etc) To get it running again we repair the OS (which takes quite a bit of time) and it'll run until the next reboot.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Same here guys - using Toshiba Sat and getting the same screen over and over again - Also tried installing Win7 via USB and DVD but once the setup completed and restarts the system it starts showing the same screen with the error etc on it.

Infact I already had 3 Operating systems that were running well before this issue, now before the OS selection screen evens comes up I get this error message.

!!!PLEASE HELP!!!
    • Proposed as answer by Ricka1130 Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:14 PM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Nothing like "misery loves company" but I'd like to add an additional wrinkle.

I have a dual boot machine (Win XP Pro/Vista Business) running on a platform which includes 2 500Gb hard drives arranged in a Raid 1 (Mirror) configuration.

I specifically requested the Raid 1 configuration because I wanted to avoid the kind of thing described in these posts. My expectation was that if "anything happened" (presumably to one of the drives) the other would kick in with some sort of appropriate message indicating that a problem had occurred with "drive x" and that "drive y" had taken over.

I have been told that in a Raid configuration the boot record resides on only one of the drives but that doesn't sound like it makes sense to me since that would mean that the two drives were NOT in fact, mirrors of each other.

Any explanations as to why the Raid 1 thing was not able to overcome this boot record problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill Freund

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:34 AM
  • ignore that propsed as answered - not comfortable using these forums.

1. Insert Windows Vista Installation Disc (not USB)
    2. Go to boot menu or setup (BIOS). Boot into where it says "internal optical drive" or something similar.
    2a. If you are using the setup way, then reboot the PC.
    3. when it says "Press any key to boot from CD". Then do so.
    4. Wait patiently as it loads the files
    5. when it says to choose your language and time format, just click next.
    6. on the bottom left corner, click "repair your computer"
    7. follow on-screen instructions and click startup repair for method 1, system restore for method 3 or command prompt for method 2.

• Proposed as answer by DPTechWizKid Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:03 PM
  • I've followed the steps you outlined and run the Repair Your Computer option. After that I can boot from the hard drive and the machine runs for a day or so and then the same error comes up. I've done this 4 times over the last several days and each time I get the same result. It's my wife's computer and I'm not sure if the error only happens after restarting or waking up from sleep or hibernate or ...?  I thought there might be errors on the hard drive so I ran chkdsk /f on the C and D partitions but still in less than 2 days, the same error came up. Is there any way to correct this permanently or is the machine toast? Would always booting from the Cd drive solve the problem? The machine is a 3 year old Dell Inspiron E1505 running Vista Home Premium. The installation CD I'm using for repair is Vista Ultimate. When we bought the computer, it didn't come with the OS on CD and the first person I could find who had a CD I could borrow had Ultimate.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:09 PM