none
repair invalid dynamic disk

Question

• after running samsungs estools, i cannot boot my windows 7 anymore. Getting a bluescreen code 7b. When i tried to boot my windows 7 cd, windows neither finds a damaged installation nor a disk to install to.
    When invoking diskpart it shows both my dynamic disks as invalid. i can set them online or offline, but not use the recover command - although the help indicates that recover should solve such an issue.
    Any idea what to do next (except formatting the volumes). As all my data is on a mirrored volume on the two disks i obviously do not want to format under any circumstance.
    What I used the samsung tools to ?  - i just wanted to switch the acoustic management from fast to quiet ....

Thanks a lot for your help

Monday, December 14, 2009 4:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• A bluescreen with code 7b usually refers to the IO drivers for the hard disk. You probably have the wrong drivers installed for your set up. http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html#0x0000007B. You can try to repair the boot sector on your disks to get the right drivers installed.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Did you try to choose repair instead?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Error code 0x0000007B indicates INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. This kind of error is caused by incompatible disk driver. Try to change the boot drive mode in BIOS, for your references, please visit the following KBs:

Error message when you start a Windows 7-based computer after you attach a RAID disk: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

The reason why you can't select the hard disk to install or repair can also be related to either dynamic disk or other factors, please refer to the following KB for details:

You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

As a work around, you can use some 3rd party software (Dynamic Disk Converter, etc) to convert the dynamic disk to basic disk without losing any data and perform a installation.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Proposed as answer by QuadDog Saturday, January 02, 2010 4:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Monday, March 01, 2010 1:59 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

Yes, I tried repair -it ends with an error - the logs shows it found System volume is defective, calls chkdsk which returns 0x1f

Any other ideas ?

Thanks and Regards,

Dirk

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Hello Dale,

I meanwhile used another SATA disk to install another copy of windows 7.
    When using the Disk Management snap in, I now see my volume again as "invalid".
    Searching technet I found article kb962975 which describes pretty much the symptoms I am seeing but the hotfix seems only applicable to Server 2008 and Vista - can I assume correctly that is already incorporated in Windows 7 ?

Any other ideas - it looks like all my data is still there, I just cannot access the disk - at least some trial versions of recovery software tell me that.

Thanks and Regards,

Dirk
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:00 PM
  • As the article says, have you tried to assign drive letters to these disks? I recommend you re-active the disk using the command line to see if it works:

1) Open a command prompt with elevated privilege and type diskpart.
    2) At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number of the missing or offline disk that you want to bring online. Missing disks are numbered M0, M1, M2, and so on, and offline disks are numbered 0, 1, 2, and so on.
    3) At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.
    4) At the DISKPART prompt, type online.

BTW, I found a similar issue that the customer resolves this kind of problem by manually modifying the sector with HxD.

Dynamic Disk Invalid

If the issue persists, it is recommended to either contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently or involve Data Recovery tool to recovery the data manually.

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Hye, recently one of my hard disk disappeared from "My Computer". I try anything possible to restore this. I have 1 hard wich is Master but is ATA, and 2 S-ATA disk's. A S-ATA disk not seen. I try all information from this forum and others.

Please try to help me because i have a lot of information on this disk.

Best regards anticipated ,

Cosmin.

P.S.-mail to : cosmindaniel1978@yahoo.com

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:10 AM
  • I have had this as well, during a recovery process.

What I think happens is that a (two or more volumes) on a software RAID1 mirror go up and down.  Independentaly across disks.  I.e. presume I have a C: and D: which are both 64Gb volumes in RAID1 over 2 disks.

During recovery only both disks are hooked up and import foreign disk used on both, and data accessed.  During recovery Disk0 and C: has an error, so the Disk0 is taken offline.  In order to resolve the problem you power cycle the system (some disks need this to recover from errors during recovery).  When you switch the system on (lets say) Disk1 is not connected and becomes missing and only Disk0 is active (the previously made offline disk).

You bring it (Disk0 and the broken mirror) back online use it a bit and reboot.  This time you hook up both disks.  Now the system make the RAID1 set invalid.  It has two halves of a RAID1 mirror both claiming to be valid and consistent and repaired, both with the same UUID but both do not have the same sequence/checksum.  So now Windows software does not know which is the authorative device and makes the whole set and all data on the disks invalid.

Even if you disconnect one disk or other and reboot neither works anymore.  It must have written something to the disks (or registry) to invalidate them.

This is nuts.  The operator should have UI to explain this issue and allow recovery with just 1 disk connected, when both are connected there should be a UI command to make one as master and the other as slave and offline/broken.  The UI would fixup the sequence/checksum to a further reboot would keep that choice.

Luckly for me I had already recovered 100% of my data off the dynamic volume management part of the disk.  It was only after some files from the old C: drive which has a regular partition entry.  I was able to recover by booting the drive into Linux and using ntfs-3g to mount it, I was also able to use FDISK from Linux and change the partition ID number into a regular NTFS partition ID (from 0x42 "SFS" into 0x07 "HPFS/NTFS/exFAT", I changed the other parition IDs to non-SFS so the dynamic disk manager would not try to manage the disk that it could not manage.  This allowed me to recover the data from the old C: I needed by placing one disks I edited this way back into the original Windows system that was previously reporting Invalid.

If you lost data in the dynamic volume managed part of the disk, good luck to you.  Maybe you check for magic numbers on Linux "file -sL /dev/sd[abcdef]?" and it report "extended partitionon table" and you can set it to be an extended partition ID (0x05 "Extended").  Save and reload fdisk see if you can see partitions 4 through 7 now and use "file -sL /dev/sd[abcdef][4567]" change their IDs to 0x07 "HPFS/NTFS/exFAT" if they report as being "x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", ...) which is the NTFS signature.   Some tools on linux "ntfsinfo -m /dev/sda1" can be useful to see Master File Table.

But good luck to you this is advanced stuff, I have recovered many clients data using standard tooling.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:55 AM