none
System Restore is Failing. Getting Message: An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0xc0000056)

Question

• I have a new HP laptop from Best Buy less than a week ago. The exact model is: HP g4-1117dx. It came installed with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've been installing software on it and one installation went bad. I decided to just restore my system to a restore point I made prior to installing that program.

I got this message: System Restore did not complete successfully. Details: An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0xc0000056)

I tried restoring to a different restore point, an earlier one - failed as well. Got the same message. I tried quitting all running programs, firewalls and antiviruses. Same fail message.

I tried restoring system in safe mode... actually not sure it was safe mode (not very familiar with Win7). I hit F8 on startup and it took me to the HP recovery manager that offered several options, one of which was system restore. I selected that. System restore went through the motions but failed again. This time I got a window suggesting to do some sort of recommended restore. It said that Windows will automatically figure out which restore point to go to according to when the system was running well. This process took about 15 minutes. In the end I got another "fail" error message. Yet... when Windows eventually loaded up I saw that it in fact had gone back to an earlier stage. I could tell by noticing that software I had installed were no longer there. I can't really tell to which restore point it fell back to and I have no idea what exactly "failed" according to the message I got.

So basically, I'm just asking here if maybe someone knows what might be causing all of this and if I should be worried about my system. Is my system restore utility working or not? Or how I might be able to verify that my new computer is back to a healthy state.

It feels lousy to get a brand new computer out of the box and already face these sort of errors and failed processes, not knowing what sort of mess it has created on my system.

Looking forward for some advice on what to do. Thanks.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:05 AM

Answers

• Have you enabled System Restore on the D drive? If so please stop it. As I know the D drive is backup drive of HP computers and you cannot overwrite the files unless you erase the data by formatting the drive.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:57 AM

All replies

• Have you enabled System Restore on the D drive? If so please stop it. As I know the D drive is backup drive of HP computers and you cannot overwrite the files unless you erase the data by formatting the drive.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hey thanks for your reply. System Restore was disabled on D drive. In fact, I ended up using the system backup on the D drive to restore my computer to factory settings in order to get my computer to a healthy state again. A rather drastic measure, I know, but since its  a new computer there wasn't that much to lose.

Thanks again

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:29 PM