Black Screen - Movable Cursor - Upon Boot

Question

• Ever since I've installed Vista, as soon as I turn off my monitor, Vista goes to sleep or hibernates; which one I have yet to figure out, let alone find out how to turn off. Well, in order for me to get back into my computer I had to push the sleep button, wait for the computer to go to sleep, and finally push the button once more to make it come alive.

This seemed to work until yesterday. I pushed the button and the thing would not go to sleep. I pushed it again and waited fifteen minutes and the thing had still not gone to sleep. Finally I gave up and performed a hot restart.

When I restarted the computer it would only come to a black screen with a cursor dead center. The cursor would move if the mouse was moved but nothing else worked. The cursor is dead center and not blinking (if that helps). Even worse, if I turned off the monitor, I see the same behavior that caused me to reboot the thing in the first place!

Another reboot and I found that the same thing happened when I tried to get into safe mode. All of the drivers seemed to load fine yet once they are done I get the black screen (of death) w/the movable cursor.

I put the install disk in and ran a memory scan (something that google suggests) and nothing! The same results appeared.

What gets me is that there is no error message and no way (seemingly) to fix this problem -- short of reinstalling the OS. The diagnostic software on the install CD reports that everything is normal. Well it's not!!! How do I find out what is hanging the system? And bonus question... How do I prevent windows from trying to save power (and thus breaking) every time I turn off my monitor?

If it helps...

I have:
    an AMD Semperon 3000+ xp x86_64
    ECS motherboard --> I'm not sure if the model.
    2gigs of ddr 3200 memory
    ATI (x8 AGP w/512mb onboard ram) -- again, I can't think of the model.
    HP f2105 Flat Pannel Monitor.

Thank you in advance for all of your help. I run a help desk with a small company and I've tried to sell my supervisors on Vista. When I told them about my problems, it didn't help my case any. Hopefully I will find a solution to this problem so it won't effect our company when and if we begin to migrate to Vista.

----

One thing I noticed later.  If you leave the computer on for about an our (all the while staring at that black screen) it will reboot all by itself.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 2:02 AM

Answers

• I Think I've Solved My Black Screen On Boot Issue

Without whining about the bait & switch HP perpetrated on me while 'replacing' my HP Pavilion laptop (the keyboard just failed at the motherboard connection to it one day) ... they nicely took five (5) weeks to finally just break down and send me what I'd been begging for for 3 weeks - A NEW ONE AS PER CONTRACT.

So what they conveniently left out was that the OS wasn't going to be XP Pro anymore... but Vista Home Premium. Some other changes were - gone is my Intel CPU, and now I've the AMD Turion 64 of some unknown speed with almost 2gb RAM.

Less I digress.

Ever since DAY ONE of using the machine I've had problems. Usually it is not the black screen on boot... but on applications locking up and requiring me to force a shut down; still don't have that one solved.

Process:
    When I'm able to boot up (sometimes it never does; and in those instances I go into safe mode let it fully boot up, and restart - then I've 100% gotten to the login window and I login )- resulting in the white arrow cursor dead center of the screen - and it is movable - with a very pretty black background. 

1. Press CTL ALT DELete and the Task Manager will show up.
    2. Go to Processes Tab
    3. RIGHT click on "explorer.exe"
    4. Select "End Process"
    5. Left click on File on the menu bar
    6. Select "New Task"
    7. type "explorer" in the window that appears and press enter

Voila - you should have a proper rendering desktop appearing after that.

peace.
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:00 PM
  • Thank you for posting your fix as I had this exact problem.  However all I did was uninstall Magic ISO.  I have Magic ISO installed and running on another vista install before but didn't have sonic/roxio installed. 
    Friday, September 07, 2007 11:59 PM
  • ANSWER -ANSWER - ANSWER - ANSWER - ANSWER - ANSWER - ANSWER -

It seams as though there were two different problems going on in this thread: One where you COULD press Ctrl Alt Del and get Task Manager and one where it was completely unresponsive to that, but all you got was a black screen and you could move your cursor around to no avail. 

Well, I had the second problem...  Here was my situation:

-2 month old laptop with a non-factory installed Win Vista Ultimate 32.
    -On startup, right when I thought the Ctrl + Alt + Del screen should come up for login, all I got was a BLACK screen and a cursor. 
    -System was unresponsive to ctrl alt del and any sorta other hotkeys I could think of. (win + R for 'run' is usually a good one)
    -System would come to the same exact screen when trying to boot into safe mode and also when trying to run "last known good config"

The Whole Story:
    I was in the middle of installing some software and according to my SpyBot, I decided that it was a bad idea, so I tried to back out of the install...  After that I could connect to the net (some programs were connected), but both my browsers would not get anywhere...  So, I went to System Restore Point (or whatever it's called) and tried to turn it back to earlier today, because I had actually had some luck once in doing that with some other problems (yay microsoft).  So, then when it did the restart to come back from the system point restore, it came to what we can now call the BLACK SCREEN OF PRETEND.  In all the mannerisms and log files I perceived and looked at, it is as though windows has successfully booted as far as it is concerned (hence, anything you try to do to refer to your last successful boot will only make it dumber, lol)...  however, it is not going to launch explorer.exe and it is not going to pass anything from the IRQ's of your keyboard to anything functional.  Anyway...  Let's get to the ANSWER.

After trying everything else that anyone had suggested on this thread, I found that we must put in the Win Vista Ultimate disc, that we  installed this OS with and when it boots into the install GUI, don't tell it to install, but go to the repair option and select your Win Vista...  After a while it asked me if I wanted to restore to an earlier point and I believe that I said Yes, but now I am second guessing myself, only because after I hit yes, it didn't ask me anything else about when to restore it to or anything, but it sat there for some time and said that it was repairing itself and after a while it said that it was finished and that we would restart and hopefully it would be fixed.  Well, since I just get this eary feeling when a microsoft product is attempting to fix itself, I wasn't holding my breath.  What to my suprise, it freakin' worked!  My beautiful wallpaper came rushing up while waterfalls, fountains and geisers of utter glorious data once again danced at my fingertips... for my Baby was not dead!  Vista, I hate to love you, and I love to hate you.

This answer worked for me when I had these symptoms and I hope this helps somebody.  I would appreciate learning if this was useful for anyone with the same issue, so please reply!

Hallo,

I had the same problem as you did up until 20 min ago.

It happened after I somehow disrupted the sleep/wake-up process. My theory is that it cleared the permissions on some essential files and did not let Win7 read it.

So from the beginning. After the computer woke up it showed me some errors saying that there are not enough permissions to write some temp files (programs that were running were trying to get the write access), so I though a restart would do some good, since it is Windows after all, who know what might have gone wrong. After restart I got the Black Screen with a mouse pointer. Nothing else. 

I rebooted a couple of times and sometimes the mouse pointer was not moving, sometimes it was.

I inserted the Windows 7 Install which I have on a USB Drive. Then I ran every possible option in the Repair Menu.

1. Auto Boot Fix - resulted in some fixes (filesystem fixes) but did not fix the issue at hand.

2. restore Point - I had no restore points (strange, but it was the case)

3. restore Disk - which I did not have either.

-> I did not run the memory test, seemed unimportant.

The Black Screen remained.

No keyboard shortcuts worked. Nothing except the mouse pointer was responding

Finally I decided I would restart from XP which I have parallel installed.

I ran chkdsk there and it also fixed some errors. Still the Black Screen remained after reboot in Win7.

Then I decided to look at the permissions on the folders in my Win7 System Drive.  It showed literally no permissions. The checkboxes were not filled.

Next I did the following:

1. Right click on the system drive

2. Properties -> Security Tab

3. Administrators, System -> checked Full Access

4. Authenticated Users -> added and checked Everything except "Full Control" (Modify was also checked.) (not sure if this is nessesary)

5. Then I clicked apply.

6. After around 30 minutes the process was over and I tried to boot unded Windows 7 -> It worked!

I saw the black screen at first with a mouse pointer (which I think I remember being a normal case). Then the Login screen appeared.

I have one last concern left. The full permissions on every folder and file should be a little insecure in my opinion. If it is, then how do I let Win7 set the right permissions on folders?

I hope this helps you all, and from now on I think I can live without Sleep Mode. :)

Monday, April 05, 2010 1:00 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem. I created three user accounts (including the enabling of the built-in administrator account). Now I can only use two of the accounts. When I create a new one, I have the same problems as you mention. Upon pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del I can still view my processes and open applications like sidebar.exe, calc, but when I try to open explorer.exe the screen remains dark. Logging off is not an issue. It's as if the processes that launch the desktop just fail to activate.

Between brackets: I also use the Hibernate function quite a lot as it enables me to start things up a lot faster.

If this would be a videocard driver issue, I would think that my other two profiles would fail to load as well. But they keep working perfectly. Is this linked to a corrupt default user account (which is being used to build up fresh accounts)? But why then did an existing account stop working???

When booting in safe mode i can logon with all accounts, so still I presume the culprit is a failing driver or service... .

Anyone else has experienced this and maybe found a solution?

Just found something that could be a solution to the problem. Might have something to do with the Vista Themes and the inability of the graphics card to cope with them. Can be tested when logging on in safe mode. Then open the system32 folder with administrator credentials and run msconfig. There you should be able to unmark Themes. Boot Windows normally again and see if this helps. If it does then I am going to look for the most recent vista drivers for the graphics card. Keep you posted!

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Your problem sounds a little bit different. I can't even get to the login screen. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete does nothing. Task Manager will not appear. The installation of Vista worked fine for the first couple of months so I know that all of the hardware and drivers were at one time working beautifully.

When booting into safe mode I see crcdisk.sys (the last driver in the list) loads and then the screen tries to go to the GUI. This is where my computer seems to be executing something like:

int i = 5;
    int hangForever;
    While (true)
    {
    try
    {
    hangForever = i / 0;
    }
    catch
    { /* 2nd verse same as the first */ }
    }

All of my hard drives have had their file systems check with chkntfs. All hard drives work with the install disk.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 4:04 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Yesterday everything was working fine.  I didn't install anything or make any changes but when I turned on my machine today, it boots to a blank screen with the mouse arrow.  I can move the cursor around, get into a login screen by hitting ctrl-alt-del and can start task manager and run programs through there, but I cannot see my desktop.  I can see this computer on my network and can access its shared files and printers but all I get on the computer is a blank screen upon booting up.

I tried disabling themes as you mention, but that didn't do anything at all.  Any other ideas about how to fix this?  I tried reinstalling my video card and monitor drivers and that didn't do anything.  I have never encountered anything like this before.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 4:35 AM
  • I'm also having this issue.  I had a blue screen crash when I was shutting down.  Now when I go to boot, safe mode or not, it gets to where there should be a login screen.  Instead, it sits there at the black screen with a mouse cursor that I can move around.  It does seem like the rest of the PC is up and operating properly.

Though, I'm unable to get to a login screen. ctrl-alt-del does nothing.

Sounds like there are no real solutions to this issue yet.. other than attempting a boot recovery.... In which case I have to order recovery disks for my machine.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:39 PM
  • I got this issue as well but it was after I installed Roxio & Tag and Rename but reading your guys comments its got me thinking if this is something else.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1431862&SiteID=17&mode=1

Wonder if this is some kind of virus or vunerability thats related to the animated cursor update we have just seen today:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-017.mspx

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/191609

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/02/ms_cursor_bug_fix/

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:23 AM
  • I managed to get my system back by using "last known good configuration"

I found out what the problem was...

I had installed an extra plug in that comes with Magic ISO that allows you to mount an ISO image as a drive letter.  This plugin works fine but I have since discovered that if you install Roxio Easy Media Creator with this plugin having previously been installed then the PC will not boot.

I completely removed the Magic Iso mounting plugin and then reinstalled Roxio and everything is fine.

Thursday, April 05, 2007 7:38 AM
  • Happen to a Dell D620 notebook we got for a few days. Was working great for a few days.

After what felt like a poorly executed shutdown, laptop just wont boot past the black screen and the suposely active cursor.

No one seems to have a fix for this short of re-installing Vista.

Once I figure how to get my files out, XP Pro is going to get put in.

Dissapointed on first Vista 'outing'.

No way I am going to deploy our new fleet of Dell D630 (coming next week) with Vista.

JC

IT Admin

Dell D620

C2D T7700

1GB RAM

80Gb HDD

Vista Business.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:53 PM
  • Cjer,

Going back to XP isn't a cure-all, I'm currently fighting this same issue on a desktop running XP SP2....

B'Dog

Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Hello...

I am experiencing the same problem... 

I recently downloaded DirectX 10 - and started to experience some graphical related issues...  I tried to correct these with different video drivers and updates - this did not work...  I then tried a system restore...  During the system restore - the computer rebooted - it went through the boot process, it loaded drivers, then instead of going to the login screen it goes to a black screen with a movable mouse cursor... 

It doesn't matter if I boot up in safe mode, debugging mode, regular mode - I always end up with the black screen and a movable mouse cursor...

I upgraded from Windows XP Pro 64-bit to Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit using the digital download from windowsmarketplace.com... 

Any help would be appreciated...
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:22 PM
  •  

It looks that the issue is a corrupted User profile.

I managed to get around the problem earlier by doing a system restore to an earlier restore point. That got the problem solved.

The cause of it turned out oddly to be a MS patch that didn't go too well.

I'm back running WinXp Pro on the (original problem) D620 and the new fleet D630s and they run great and gets another 10% battery life to boot.

Hope this helps.

Cjer
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:43 AM
  • I Think I've Solved My Black Screen On Boot Issue

Without whining about the bait & switch HP perpetrated on me while 'replacing' my HP Pavilion laptop (the keyboard just failed at the motherboard connection to it one day) ... they nicely took five (5) weeks to finally just break down and send me what I'd been begging for for 3 weeks - A NEW ONE AS PER CONTRACT.

So what they conveniently left out was that the OS wasn't going to be XP Pro anymore... but Vista Home Premium. Some other changes were - gone is my Intel CPU, and now I've the AMD Turion 64 of some unknown speed with almost 2gb RAM.

Less I digress.

Ever since DAY ONE of using the machine I've had problems. Usually it is not the black screen on boot... but on applications locking up and requiring me to force a shut down; still don't have that one solved.

Process:
    When I'm able to boot up (sometimes it never does; and in those instances I go into safe mode let it fully boot up, and restart - then I've 100% gotten to the login window and I login )- resulting in the white arrow cursor dead center of the screen - and it is movable - with a very pretty black background. 

1. Press CTL ALT DELete and the Task Manager will show up.
    2. Go to Processes Tab
    3. RIGHT click on "explorer.exe"
    4. Select "End Process"
    5. Left click on File on the menu bar
    6. Select "New Task"
    7. type "explorer" in the window that appears and press enter

Voila - you should have a proper rendering desktop appearing after that.

peace.
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:00 PM
  • Thank you for posting your fix as I had this exact problem.  However all I did was uninstall Magic ISO.  I have Magic ISO installed and running on another vista install before but didn't have sonic/roxio installed. 
    Friday, September 07, 2007 11:59 PM
  • I, too, had Magic ISO and Roxio installed, but they were installed in reverse order.  I had the same black screen issue, and uninstalling the MagicDisc part of it worked. 

Thanks for this!

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:00 PM
  • I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor as well but I never installed anything by Roxio or Magic.

Actually, the only thing I've done was download some youtube videos during the last couple days so I was shocked that my pc screwed up.

I was getting some error messages trying to play an avi video file so I restarted and then my pc went into a chkdisk thing and replaced a bunch of files.  Now my computer just goes to the black screen that you've described.

No amount of keyboard pressing fixes it for me unfortunately.  Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't bring up anything.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:34 AM
  • i have the same problem installed nothing turn off my computer , next day turn it on and seems to be running fine but then blackscreens with the fancy vista curser ... there seems to be alot of people asking about and having this problem but microsoft dont seem to have a solution (i even tryed ctrl alt + delete - it didnt work) and i allso tryed another gfx card but still te same problem... when are ms going to find a fix?

Monday, September 24, 2007 3:49 PM
  • I can also confirm the same problem. I had Roxio 9 installed and then installed Magic ISO without problems. The problem began when I installed the freeware addon to Magic ISO called MagicDisc that allows you to mount ISO images. Here's the link to the offending software:

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

After installing this and rebooting I got the same black screen, no login screen. I had to go to safe mode and uninstall MagicDisc. This fixed the problem. Lucky for me I came across this thread, could definitely be very discouraging for less experienced users. I'm going to write the folks at MagicDisc and link this thread in case they're not aware of this.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:43 AM
  • I am getting the exact same problem as described in this thread. I have tried Safe mode options and system restore as well. Nothing works.

If anyone gets a solution then please post it here. I do not remember installing anything recently. For some reason the system does not load the desktop. Ctrl+Alt+Del also does not work. I cannot bring up the Task Manager using Ctrl+Shift+Esc either. The background simply freezes. Everything was working till last night before I shut down.

The only thing that I did during shutdown was to close the laptop's lid before it had completely shutdown. I am not sure if that might have triggered anything. I have disabled Hibernation and sleep as well on my system.
    • Proposed as answer by maguiPonce Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:46 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Exactly the same pb for me.
    French VISTA Home premium.

After a restart Vista give me a black screen a white mouse and nothing other!!!  No logon GUI !
    I try to access the HDD via the boot repair tools (F5, F8 and repair...)
    The C: drive is accessible and know i 'm seeking for a trick to repair the problem.

any Idea ???
    Friday, October 05, 2007 8:34 PM
  • thanks for the solution but it just temporary fix the prob.. how to make it

permanently fix?? is that means i have to run the windows repair???

Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:32 AM
  •  

I have the same issue no changes to system.   I got a BSOD , then the system doesn;t recovery at all.  I end up with a Black screen and a moveable cursor.   All reboot options dont work and final I have to use a back up to restore the system.  The restored system is the only thing that works.  Happened twice to-date.  Bottomline is I am keeping back ups , Up to date.   Is this a real Vista bug/issue that need to be fixed?
    • Proposed as answer by srikanth0077 Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:32 PM
    Monday, November 05, 2007 10:56 PM
  • No changes to system here as well, I simply locked my machine and when I returned I had a black screen with a mouse.  I restarted the machine but every time it goes through the splash screen loading Vista and reaches the part where it should show user accounts it goes to a black screen with a cursor instead.  I have never had any Roxio or Magic ISO products on my machine (it is a work machine) so that can't be it for me.  Others also mentioned that CTRL ALT DEL would still bring up a task manager, but it mine and it sounds like most of the others cases we do not have that luxury.  Anyone have any ideas yet on what may be the cause?
    Friday, November 09, 2007 8:16 PM
  •  Mark.Carline@btinternet.com wrote:

I managed to get my system back by using "last known good configuration"

I had installed an extra plug in that comes with Magic ISO that allows you to mount an ISO image as a drive letter.  This plugin works fine but I have since discovered that if you install Roxio Easy Media Creator with this plugin having previously been installed then the PC will not boot.

I completely removed the Magic Iso mounting plugin and then reinstalled Roxio and everything is fine.

THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM, I uninstalled magic disk and boom! Vista boots. THX A TON!
    Monday, November 12, 2007 10:24 AM
  •  

I have exactly the same problem, exept that my system reboots after apx. 30 seconds of black screen with mouse cursor. The system i a clean install of Vista Ultimate (no upgrade) and it is connected to a domain where roaming profiles are used.

Nothing special caused this behaviour. One morning it was there (worked fine before) and now I can't get out of it :-(

What's wrong with Microsoft... Why aren't there any KB's about this? Lots of people seem to have this issue!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:05 PM
  • I also experienced this problem. The last thing I remember before the reboot was using msconfig to disable several services and programs from startup because I wanted a clean boot to install some new software. I did have Roxio Drag to Disc installed and that was one of the services I disabled. I do not remember if I have MagicDisk or Magic ISO on that particular computer. I was luckily able to run System Restore to a backup from 36 hours earlier, and that brought my system back to life. I'm afraid to reboot it again now...!

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:15 AM
  •  Swingman wrote:

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor as well but I never installed anything by Roxio or Magic.

Actually, the only thing I've done was download some youtube videos during the last couple days so I was shocked that my pc screwed up.

I was getting some error messages trying to play an avi video file so I restarted and then my pc went into a chkdisk thing and replaced a bunch of files.  Now my computer just goes to the black screen that you've described.

No amount of keyboard pressing fixes it for me unfortunately.  Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't bring up anything.

Same thing happened to me.

Except all the suggestions that people made don't work for me:

1.  When I go to task manager, it works, yes, but there is no "explorer.exe" option at all.  Wierd huh?

2. I don't know how to get to the "Last Known Configuration" screen.  Anybody?

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Hi had the same Black screen with cursor problem on two computers, one C-A-D => task manager => run exporer worked as a temp solution and on another it (c-a-d) woudnt even start.

Managed to fix it by adding another user account and running that! Even my dad managed to sort out his problem so in that way through safe mode... hope it helps. 

No idea of exact cause... havent had time to look carefully!
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:42 AM
  • My son is running XP home edition on a Hp Laptop. He came home from work one day and found a black desktop and white movable cursor on his display. No new software was loaded, however widows updates was turned on to download at 3:00 am

We have tried everything but reloading XP Home edition to no avail. Ctrl-alt-del does not call up task manager, Safe Mode reboot brings up the same black desktop and white cursor.

Any one know how to get into the system to go back to a known good configuration?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 1:43 AM
  •  

This state can occur due to TPM issue. Boot Vista in safe mode and turn TPM chip off.

The TPM (Trusted Platform Module) can also be disabled in the BIOS.

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:07 PM
  • I have the same problem as everyone else including to taskmanager when ctrl-atl-del (ing) and same blank screen in safe mode but this time windows safe mode appears in all four corners so I can't do anything in safe mode. I want to try your solution any other way to do this without using safe mode.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:35 PM

It seams as though there were two different problems going on in this thread: One where you COULD press Ctrl Alt Del and get Task Manager and one where it was completely unresponsive to that, but all you got was a black screen and you could move your cursor around to no avail. 

-On startup, right when I thought the Ctrl + Alt + Del screen should come up for login, all I got was a BLACK screen and a cursor. 
    -System was unresponsive to ctrl alt del and any sorta other hotkeys I could think of. (win + R for 'run' is usually a good one)
    -System would come to the same exact screen when trying to boot into safe mode and also when trying to run "last known good config"

The Whole Story:
    I was in the middle of installing some software and according to my SpyBot, I decided that it was a bad idea, so I tried to back out of the install...  After that I could connect to the net (some programs were connected), but both my browsers would not get anywhere...  So, I went to System Restore Point (or whatever it's called) and tried to turn it back to earlier today, because I had actually had some luck once in doing that with some other problems (yay microsoft).  So, then when it did the restart to come back from the system point restore, it came to what we can now call the BLACK SCREEN OF PRETEND.  In all the mannerisms and log files I perceived and looked at, it is as though windows has successfully booted as far as it is concerned (hence, anything you try to do to refer to your last successful boot will only make it dumber, lol)...  however, it is not going to launch explorer.exe and it is not going to pass anything from the IRQ's of your keyboard to anything functional.  Anyway...  Let's get to the ANSWER.

After trying everything else that anyone had suggested on this thread, I found that we must put in the Win Vista Ultimate disc, that we  installed this OS with and when it boots into the install GUI, don't tell it to install, but go to the repair option and select your Win Vista...  After a while it asked me if I wanted to restore to an earlier point and I believe that I said Yes, but now I am second guessing myself, only because after I hit yes, it didn't ask me anything else about when to restore it to or anything, but it sat there for some time and said that it was repairing itself and after a while it said that it was finished and that we would restart and hopefully it would be fixed.  Well, since I just get this eary feeling when a microsoft product is attempting to fix itself, I wasn't holding my breath.  What to my suprise, it freakin' worked!  My beautiful wallpaper came rushing up while waterfalls, fountains and geisers of utter glorious data once again danced at my fingertips... for my Baby was not dead!  Vista, I hate to love you, and I love to hate you.

This answer worked for me when I had these symptoms and I hope this helps somebody.  I would appreciate learning if this was useful for anyone with the same issue, so please reply!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:14 AM
  • HI I recently encountered the same problem after about 2 months of a fresh install of vista. I used the computer 2 days ago just to browse the web etc and send a few emails just normal activity for me and then shutdown as usual. Yesterday however I started the PC upagain and it appeared to have booted but did not get to the point of showing the login screen but instead hung on a black screen with a moveable mouse curson and thats it. The interesting thing is vista appears to have loaded a majority of its processes as I can access the drives via the network i.e \\IPADDRESS\C$ so I have access to my files etc but no GUI. The only thing I can think it could be is a windows update which must have been installed over the last few days which has seriously done something wierd.

I've tried a repair via the install  DVD and no luck it reports it as being fine. The system restore I cannot do since the last restore point I made was the day before it was working (this also results in the same problem) and I removed the others on that day to recover some space. I can not access task manager so I cannot actually see if the explorer.exe is running so In short I am stuck. I spent at least 6 hours searching the web to find a solution but every one seems to be in the same boat as me and microsoft haven't responded to any thing in regards of it being caused by an update etc. In short I don't want to reinstall I want to fix my install. I've never experienced anything like this with vista and I've been using it for over a year now so this has to be caused by something installed via windows update recently since my software and hardware have been exactly the same for the passed 5 months (previous install had the indentical software & hardware setup).
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:21 AM
  • how did you add an account if all you had was the black screen and c-a-d would not work?

Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Hey there, I had the same thing happen to me, for different reasons, but what is happening is a driver is not loading corrertly. Safe mode should still work. Start your computer in safe mode and try to find the driver in question. For me it was a conflict of Roxio (By the way stay far away from roxio as vista doesn't play nice with it) and MagicDisk a program that manages virtual disk drives. While you may not have either program, becuase of that conflict if I were to start windows normally I would end up with nothing but a black screen and a mouse cursor(no commands working). To fix I simply removed roxio, which removed the driver that was causing windows to hang while starting up.

Try to uninstall/reinstall any drivers/programs you recently changed. Also try and undo the update if possible. If you have dell, don't bother calling they will just hold you up on the phone for three hours talking to some fool in India.

P.S. Logic and trouble-shooting don't always go hand-in-hand, the two programs of mine where working fine together until I updated my sound card driver of all things. Makes no sense to me, M$, or Dell.

Hope that was helpful.
    Friday, February 08, 2008 3:37 PM

• Hi guys and gals

Just managed to sort out this problem on a clients Samsung R60 plus laptop running Vista Home Premium.

Symptoms: Black screen with moveable cursor. No Ctl-Alt-Del to task manager and no Safe Mode.
    Followed on from a major spyware malware infestation and then several Windows updates so whole host of potential causes!

After reading this thread and a few others I ran the install disk (OEM works fine). I tried the built in restore and repair functions to no avail and then resorted to the command line and ran CHKDSK C: /F.

This threw up numerous bad clusters and replaced/marked them. On exiting and reboot the thing came up fine

Thanks for the pointers and hope this helps somebody else.

Paul
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:57 PM
  • I waited awhile to post.  But I replaced the Sata driver with Downlevel versions and upgraded the System bios to up level the Sata controller.  No issues for 3 months now.  I saw a ton of Sata Controller resets in the Vista events logs.  Windows was installed on a SATA drive.

Rick

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:18 PM
  • I have this exact same problem. The last major thing I did that probablt caused this is I did a CHKDSK /F /B. It repaired around 200000 files of mine with invalid security ID's. Now it won't boot up, it's just stuck there. I did try to repair using the Vista DVD System Startup repair but like the rest, it didn't work. I did a chkdsk again and everything is fine. I can still access my HardDrive and its files so it means no CRC errors whatsoever and it means it is still intact.

Since it DID bypass the progress bar, my theory is, it's not somehow loading a process that will get you to the login screen. explorer.exe maybe? I need a solution badly.

EDIT: I tried searching for a KB article and this is the closest I can get:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532/en-us

It seems there is no other way aside from reinstalling Vista for users whose status does not apply with the ones described previously (MagicISO, etc..) I'm off to reinstalling Vista. For those who does not want to delete data, try learning more about using ImageX and WinPE 2.0

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:25 AM
  •  jo_iii wrote:

For those who does not want to delete data, try learning more about using ImageX and WinPE 2.0

Hi, this seems a major headache to several people here.

My solution, which I carry out for all non-bootable Windows systems is to check the hardware by attempting a boot off a Knoppix linux (Sorry, I know this is a MS forum  ) disk and assuming this is OK then either image the disk to a USB drive or backup just the data BEFORE attempting any repair or re-load.

Various larger PC shops could perhaps take this on board before wiping disks!

Cheers

Paul

Friday, February 15, 2008 10:05 PM
  • EDIT: I managed to get my vista UP AND RUNNING again (!00%)! Yes, it involves reinstalling Vista, but I manage to do a workaround. It's not easy, but I'll show you what I did.

1. I backed up my HD to an HD image using Acronis in case anything goes bad.

2. Using the command prompt in RE using the Vista DVD, I renamed important system files for use later.

ren "C:\Program Files" "Program Files2"
    ren C:\Users Users2
    ren C:\Windows Windows2
    attrib C:\ProgramData -s -h
    ren C:\ProgramData ProgramData2

3. I installed Vista. I DID NOT reformat the drive to preserve the contents

4. Now a new and fresh Vista is up and running, but this is not YOUR Vista. So, once again, I used the command prompt in RE using the DVD. I renamed the current system files so they can be replaced by my original ones.

ren "C:\Program Files" "Program Files3"
    ren C:\Users Users3
    ren C:\Windows Windows3
    attrib C:\ProgramData -s -h
    ren C:\ProgramData ProgramData3

5. Now I can place back my original files

ren "C:\Program Files2" "Program Files"
    ren C:\Users2 Users
    ren C:\Windows2 Windows
    ren C:\ProgramData2 ProgramData
    attrib ProgramData +s +h

6. Your now back to your Vista! My PC manage to run perfectly after I booted this, but it failed to run the second time. I just selected "Last Known Configuration" in F8 and it manage to fix this.

If you did my steps above, by now your vista should be running perfectly. The only problem you will have now is how to delete Program Files3 and Windows3. You can just continue using your Vista now, but I decided that I will "Upgrade" Install my Vista just to be sure my files are intact.

Since you are using the same files your computer has when it broke, I speculate that the problem MAY arise from the page file and hybernation files. I hope you can get your PC up and running.

Follow-up Question: Is there a way I can force delete the folders I mentioned above? I tried changing permissions and took ownerships from them but there is just NO way I can delete them. The command prompt, both from Vista OS and the DVD, does not work
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I, like many others here, have had the same thing with my computer except I was able to get into safe mode just fine, but not regular windows. I tried everything and then tried CHKDSK c: /f. This took about 7 hours to complete and it repaired about 300,000 files. So I had high hopes, but these hopes were dashed when I realized that this made it so that I couldn't even get into safe mode. So, my warning is that if you can get into safe mode, don't try CHKDSK because it just may change that. Also, the only fix on the Microsoft website for this issue is to reinstall Windows, and that the SP1 supposedly fixes this. Sounds like a bunch of cocky to me.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:48 PM
  • I was having a smilar problem in that I could log into Vista but after logging in nothing but a black screen and cursor would show up.  I could NOT get to task manager via C-A-D or any other method.  I was able to get into safe mode without networking.

Now this problem seems random so I don't know if I am simply having a stream of good luck or if it is actually solved but so far I have found that if I am NOT connected to a network via cable or wireless it boots fine, however if I am connected to a wired or wireless network on boot i get the black screen again.

Just my $.02

As a Side note this is a brand new clean install using the Vista+SP1 disc downloaded from technet.

James
    Friday, February 29, 2008 4:58 PM
  •  lensv wrote:

I have exactly the same problem, exept that my system reboots after apx. 30 seconds of black screen with mouse cursor. The system i a clean install of Vista Ultimate (no upgrade) and it is connected to a domain where roaming profiles are used.

Nothing special caused this behaviour. One morning it was there (worked fine before) and now I can't get out of it :-(

What's wrong with Microsoft... Why aren't there any KB's about this? Lots of people seem to have this issue!

Hoe do we reinstall the drag to disc...

Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:02 AM
  • Did you ever solve this problem (without reinstalling)
    I have this problem now

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:43 AM

• SOLUTION! YES YES IT WORKED.

Thanks   killercptwinky
    You wanted feedback from people this worked for so here it is.
    I had the evil worms on my computer. Some variant of geeby.
    No spyware removal stuff found it and i had to remove it all myself. (maybe i removed too much??? but probably not enough)
    But the thing was - it booted fine straight after i though i had solved it but the next time it just did "the thing"
    Did what you said. System disk -> system restore. Vista backs up its reg and config files periodically. Just so happend to do it a couple of days before.
    Chose "last know good config" (not the one from the F8 boot screen)

Hey presto we have a winner!
    Everything is back to normal. Only lost a couple minor installs. No big deal.

And i aaaaammmmm happy

Saturday, March 08, 2008 4:25 AM
  • No such luck solving the problem. I had to restore my drive using Ghost because System Restore wouldn't work (and is rarely reliable). I wasn't in the habit of backing up my drive...but now I am.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:47 AM
  • I have had same black screen problem just now. And I resolved it after few hours of painful tinckering.

First of all - why I got in there - cos I am plain stupid. I update bios on my MB and then it restarted I couldnt remember what setting were there Tongue Tied... so I left RAID controller mode in IDE default mode and also (for what reason!?) I set ACL on...

As a result my mirror was split onto 2 disks and system was stable, but then after some 3d reboot Vista started to run Chkdsk for 1.5hr (I read above that some "lucky" guy had it for 7hr) and replaced security Ids on all files to 'default'

after that I stuck on 'black screen' where you can move cursor but nothing else...

Solution (worked for me):

a) installed Vista to free disk (I have plenty) using USB stick with RAID drivers

b) set full access for System, Administrators, Everyone (sure security experts will kill themselves reading this)

c) run Vista CD and in command prompt run chkdsk <disk>: /F

c) reboot

Voila!! worked!

The problem is that for some reason Vista security gone mad and cleared ALL permissions from system disk. So it was booting but then stuck as no system account could access any file...

So for whatever reason you guys get into 'black screen' trouble - check if you disk is accessible before trying to jump out of a window Smile

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:33 PM
  • My daughter's account [Vista Ultimate] had this problem 2 weeks ago and now my account has it as well. Installing SP1 does not help. I am writing this post from my wife's account which still works - for now. I really love Microsoft's solution in KB946532: "CAUSE: This problem may occur because of file system corruption within the $Txf directory. This corruption causes a deadlock condition between the Transactional NTFS (TxF) process and the Autocheck process. To work around this problem, reinstall Windows Vista."

Mr. Gates, I hate to rain on your parade, but I will not be reinstalling Vista on this machine. I still have a copy of XP Pro and until you can get your act together that's what I will be using. Five years of development work for this?? 

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:53 AM
  • maxima: Thanks so much for your helpful comments. If you could read English, you would understand that I have 3 accounts, not 3 computers, experiencing the black screen problem. I have 2 other computers at home, along with a dual-boot on the affected machine, all running some sort of XP - with no problems. I simply don't have the time or the inclination to re-install Vista when there is no guarantee that the problem won't happen again in a week's time.
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:49 PM
  •  

Dear Don, I give no monkey about your ego-centric attitude. I am not legally bound to speak your mother tongue,

Of course my comment was not helpful because you did not ask for anything especially help.

What you said was - I cant handle my own computer. <details of horrendous disaster> .. I am going to instal XP... Dear Mr Gates <some diarrhea and all that hate-big-business-and-all-rich-people-linux-forever bla-bla-bla>

Point of my coment was - this is forum for professionals writing to professionals to get technical help. And for melancholic pointless moaning.

Is that clear enough for you Mr Big American Master of Universe? 

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:35 PM
  • What's clear, madam, is that you have a personality disorder. In the meantime some users are reporting a fix for this here:

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1412-Having-trouble-installing-the-Vista-SP1-update-Reset-your-registry-permissions!.html

Has anyone tried this?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:59 AM

• I've got the same problem, except that Iam unable to get past the "Black Screen",  cad, cas and  csd  will not get me out of the black screen.  The only place I can get to is the dos prompt thru the repair function on the Vista disk. Can you edit the registry in DOS? Futhermore, I've currently got the hard drive mounted in another computer (wanted to save my docs and pictures.) Can I access regedit.exe on this mounted drive thru the run command of the new host computer?

Thank you for your time.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I am also having this problem.  Why doesn't Microsoft address this problem?  Seems like a common problem.  I'm running Windows Vista and the computer kept rebooting until I tried the Vista disk and ran the recovery process.  It stopped the rebooting and says its fixed, but now I'm getting the black screen with a moveable white cursor.  I'm unable to contrl-alt-del because it doesn't even get to that point.  Can't do anything...can't even run in safe mode, does the same thing.  Any help would be appreciated.  Tried the recovery process again, but it said its been repaired successfully.

Monday, May 05, 2008 11:24 PM
  •  Andrew916 wrote:
    Ever since I've installed Vista, as soon as I turn off my monitor, Vista goes to sleep or hibernates; which one I have yet to figure out, let alone find out how to turn off. Well, in order for me to get back into my computer I had to push the sleep button, wait for the computer to go to sleep, and finally push the button once more to make it come alive.

This seemed to work until yesterday. I pushed the button and the thing would not go to sleep. I pushed it again and waited fifteen minutes and the thing had still not gone to sleep. Finally I gave up and performed a hot restart.

When I restarted the computer it would only come to a black screen with a cursor dead center. The cursor would move if the mouse was moved but nothing else worked. The cursor is dead center and not blinking (if that helps). Even worse, if I turned off the monitor, I see the same behavior that caused me to reboot the thing in the first place!

Another reboot and I found that the same thing happened when I tried to get into safe mode. All of the drivers seemed to load fine yet once they are done I get the black screen (of death) w/the movable cursor.

I put the install disk in and ran a memory scan (something that google suggests) and nothing! The same results appeared.

What gets me is that there is no error message and no way (seemingly) to fix this problem -- short of reinstalling the OS. The diagnostic software on the install CD reports that everything is normal. Well it's not!!! How do I find out what is hanging the system? And bonus question... How do I prevent windows from trying to save power (and thus breaking) every time I turn off my monitor?

If it helps...

I have:
    an AMD Semperon 3000+ xp x86_64
    ECS motherboard --> I'm not sure if the model.
    2gigs of ddr 3200 memory
    ATI (x8 AGP w/512mb onboard ram) -- again, I can't think of the model.
    HP f2105 Flat Pannel Monitor.

Thank you in advance for all of your help. I run a help desk with a small company and I've tried to sell my supervisors on Vista. When I told them about my problems, it didn't help my case any. Hopefully I will find a solution to this problem so it won't effect our company when and if we begin to migrate to Vista.

----

One thing I noticed later.  If you leave the computer on for about an our (all the while staring at that black screen) it will reboot all by itself.
    Monday, May 26, 2008 11:16 PM
  • Thanks Mark. info provided by you helped.

We faced this problem with many systems in our office.

According to you (Mark.Carline@btinternet.com) the problem was caused due to MagicDisk & resolved by Roxio or whatever. However there was disagreement on this by other readers. That was additional info for me. Because even I used magicdisk & uninstalled it.

The problem is caused due to change in the drive names & the number of drives, when a flash drive (removable disk) or a virtual drive (Madic Disk) is removed properly or improperly, Win_XP-XP2 / Vista is not registering/recording/recognising this properly. [PROBLEM with WINDOWS].

Due to the change in the number of drives / drive names [E:, F:, G:, etc.] that on boot the system tries to locate the missing drive & gets stuck there.

Fortunately for me, I got the Safe Mode working which I could use to re-install the MagicDisk & get back my windows normal mode working. Because I got back the missing drive name.

I guess for you guys who did not use magic drive & it was use of a flash drive, try plugging in the flash drive & starting the PC in normal mode.

Laptop users can bypass this [that is, don't do this] & still get the PC started in normal mode by pressing Fn+F7 keys when the system halts at the blank screen. However, you will face problem connecting an LCD projector to it & you will have to do this everytime you turn on your PC.

If plugging the flash drive & booting does not resolve, let me know @ sunil_snj@hotmail.com & I'll figure out how to get out of it.

Regards

Thursday, July 03, 2008 7:20 AM
  • I'm not able to get safe mode working.  Do you have any other ideas?
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:20 PM
  •  

I am absolutely frustrated, i tried safe mode but it loads up to crcdisk.sys and it says to wait and the black screen comes back up.  I tried safe mode and the other two but to no avail.  I can't see anything so I cannot fix anything. HELP

Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  

I go to safe mode but it never gets there, what can I possibly do???????????
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:12 PM
  • I recommend people look at a book called "Windows Vista Annoyances", by David A. Karp, which is the real book for introducing people to the grimy, messy reality underlying that sweet-tasting Aero interface.

It deals extensively with the issues mentioned here, as well as the infamous "Green Ribbon of Death" etc. It would be nice to quote an easy fix from the book, but it's more complicated because, as can be concluded from the other responses here, there are many different ways Vista can take you to the quicksand of black screen with cursor.

The best way to summarize the book's recommendations is to mention that it goes into a lot of detail about the various options available on the original Vista DVD, and how and when to use them. It also gives valuable tips on how to avoid this happening so often.

Beyond that, let's hope MS comes out with a more solid next generation OS, or a Service Pack that actually helps. In the meantime, I'll keep running XP on most of my machines, at home and work.

The bottom line is that, as in the days of Windows ME or Windows 3.0, etc., people don't want the equivalent of a car that frequently and suddenly stops running, for no reason. Remind me not to buy a Microsoft sedan if they come out with one.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:42 AM
  • I don't have the exact problem stated above, but I recently ran into a similar problem and I figured I'd post what I did to resolve it.  While viewing a youtube video through firefox, my hp laptop (running on battery) was forced into an unsuccessful sleep mode.  What happened was the screen went blank, the white cursor was still apparent, and I could hear the sound of the video.  When I forced my laptop to turn off by holding down the power button and then booted up again, I simply got a blank screen with the white cursor and I could not even bring the task manger up.  When I rolled the cursor over where the login box would be, the cursor changed to the text-input cursor, which makes me think that everything was fine except for the display.

When I  booted in safe mode, the display came back.  But if I simply restarted from safe mode, I would get the same "blank screen" result under the normal boot.  So, while in safe mode, I took a look at the event log via the event viewer in administrative tools and I found that a critical error (eventID 41) had occured, described as "The last sleep transition was unsuccessful..."

I'm not sure why this happened, and it has happened again recently (but only when running on battery power,) but the simple fix is to completely shut down from safe mode.  This appears to eliminate the pending sleep mode transition that seems to remain if you only restart.  In the meantime, I simply don't pull up videos while running on battery.  I'm no guru, but this solution worked for me.  Good luck to anyone else who runs into such a problem.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I know this might not be helpful but I had the same thing happen to my laptop yesterday (black screen, moveable cursor, no ctrl+alt+del, no safe mode, etc). I tried everything and I had to re-install vista. Since my black screen happened late at night I said that I would do it tomorrow. I turn on my computer the next day to begin my installation and just for kicks I ran the system repair as it was an option upon start up. Well apparently my computer was touched by the hand of God over night as it turned back on! I don't know what happened but it works. I'm scared to turn it off but it's on right now. The same thing happened with a desktop I had. It got fried in a power surge and I waited about 3-4 days and turned it back on just to see if there was any change and it worked. My desktop was a Dell Optiplex something or other running XP and my laptop is a Dell XPS 1330 running Vista Business. So my advice, while possibly not that helpful, is to wait it out for a few days before you do anything drastic. And back up your files everyday.

Funny story: When my computer came back on I got the "Windows has recoverd form an unexpected shutdown" box and in the problem details it says "Problem Event Name: BlueScreen" So I guess technically this is the vista version of blue screening. Weird.

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:55 PM
  • In tradition of trying to help others solve the problem, here is how I solved mine - which was a method that was explained earlier in this thread.

Symptoms:

Vista installed some device drivers/system software updates.

System rebooted, and I was stuck at the black screen with mouse cursor.

Could not CNTRL+ALT+DEL, could not boot safe mode.

What worked:

Using the Vista install disc, I ran setup, then chose repair.

On the menu of options, there was a restore to earlier point.

I clicked on this and had several earlier points to attempt to restore. I choose the 2nd to most recent one (which was right before an update that Microsoft automatically installed) and my system started working again.

hope this helps...

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:57 AM
  •  dan.maust wrote:

My son is running XP home edition on a Hp Laptop. He came home from work one day and found a black desktop and white movable cursor on his display. No new software was loaded, however widows updates was turned on to download at 3:00 am

We have tried everything but reloading XP Home edition to no avail. Ctrl-alt-del does not call up task manager, Safe Mode reboot brings up the same black desktop and white cursor.

Any one know how to get into the system to go back to a known good configuration?

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:27 AM
  •  dan.maust wrote:

My son is running XP home edition on a Hp Laptop. He came home from work one day and found a black desktop and white movable cursor on his display. No new software was loaded, however widows updates was turned on to download at 3:00 am

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Hey did you try 'F7' function key. At the point where the screen doesn't change (i.e. blank screen with mouse cursor & nothing else) try F7 key or one of those function keys which takes the startup forward. This works only for laptops. I've not tried fixing the problem once its proceeds & completes startup.

Regards

Sunil D'Souza

Monday, November 03, 2008 6:26 AM
  • Hi

I have exaclty the same problem as described earlier, it only emerged yesterday.  This thread (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532) states that you have to reinstall Vista - which is absurd.

Surely there must be a workaround for this?
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Same problem.

Running Vista Ultimate on desktop Dell XPS 420. New machine, less than 2 months old. Ran nicely without any problems. Then one day  I come home from work and get squat. Last things I did before this happened was install windows live, messenger and 4 windows updates.

Symptoms:

Freezes on logging off screen

On bootup, have red X on network but can still access internet. Browser opens 15 minutes after clicked on. (firefox or explorer)

task manager not available after c-a-d

cannot view event/performance logs

cannot install/uninstall any software

windows tools and services very slow or not responding at all

black screen with movable cursor on safe mode

can access media and documents with no problem

defender scans appear stuck after 3 hours. Zone alarm did its thing and completed with no problem.

I've tried:

safe mode = black screen

boot from CD, self repair found nothing

boot from CD, move to earlier restore point, a week before problem (and windows live and updates install), no change

ran chkdsk /f, no change

did a clean boot with no startup items or services ('hide microsoft services' was selected though) and the problem was still there in that bare bones configuration.

At this point, I don't know what else to try without being able to view my logs or boot safe mode to see what the problem is.  From what I've done so far I'm guessing some kind of software issue, definitelty hardware. Everything seems to be there hardware-wise and in place but PC is being slowed down and affected by some driver or file corruption or malware? Perhaps some microsoft service is screwed up since its the only thing I didn't check via clean boot.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can try and do next? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I just ran into this problem too.   My solution was to remove some problematic software that messes with Vista's drive mappings. South River Technologies has a program, WebDrive, that will let you map an FTP site to a drive letter. This program causes all sorts of problems with Transactional (TxF) NTFS File System. This system freaks when other programs besides Vista manipulates drive letters.

As soon as I uninstalled WebDrive everythings punky-brewster.

good luck to you all with this beast of an issue.

Monday, November 17, 2008 8:59 PM
  • We are experiencing the issue with multiple PC's for one (only one) of our customers.  All are HP branded, but

two are Compaq dx2300 Microtowers and two are Compaq dc5700 Microtowers.

All four have an ATI Video tuner card installed.  (I know this is the big red flag in the hitch.)

They haven't all had the problem at the same time, however... but it did start about 2 months ago and each one happened about 10-14 days after the other one.  Three were running Vista Ultimate, One is running Vista Business. All had been patched to SP1 several months ago.

The first two we just rebuilt off of the recommendations in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532 but when the third one happened, we really needed to dig in and solve the issue rather than just continue to bandaid.  Rebuilding is really intrusive to the customer.

The symptoms are the same as many have described in this thread.  Black Screen with white mouse cursor movable.  Happens after the Splash Screen with progress bar moving left to right.  But before the Vista Globe logo and signon music.

Booting to safemode results in same.

Booting to safemode w/ Command prompt hangs at crcdisk.sys

Booting to Last Known Good from F8 results in hanging at same.

With the exception of the ATI Tuner card, these machines are really pretty bare bones.  All are new in the last 6 months.

On a suggestion from HP support on the third machine, we tried to drop the hard drive into known working hardware.  We didn't have anything that matched, so we dropped it into a Dell.  The OS REALLY didn't like that, and it started this "STARTUP REPAIR" process.  It never did boot into the OS getting rather a "BLUE SCREEN" each time.  So we slapped the drive back in the original hardware and booted.  WE BOOTED RIGHT INTO THE OS this time!!!!

Sure, the OS was pretty pi**ed and it reloaded several drivers but we could not get it to reoccur.  My guess is that the "Startup Repair" stripped drivers out of the startup process.

So, we just got called that a fourth PC is having the problem, but we'd like to find a PROACTIVE fix for these issues, so we're going to take it less recklessly and actually use one of our Microsoft support calls to find a SOLUTION.

Hopefully we can find Microsoft's recommendation and I'll post here when we find it.  Simply reloading the PC every time this happens isn't a good solution.  Granted, probably won't work for all, but I'll pass on what I learn.

It does appear from reading this thread that the DVD tools are different/better than simply going to Last Known Good using F8.  Hopefully that will help things...

Chris

Network Engineer

Friday, November 21, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I have a site with 7 Compaq dx2355 PCs with Vista Business and they have all had exactly the same symptoms - Black screen with white cursor/pointer. Also failed one by one with 3 -5 weeks in between. At this stage I haven't seen it happen to the same computer twice... yet.

In most cases I have been able to boot off the Compaq Vista Disk and run System Restore back to a point where the computer can start up again. In other cases I had to completely re-install.

From reading your post am I starting to think it may be an issue with the Copmaq/HP build.

Regards

Ryan

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:32 AM
  • Just fixed the problem (well for my machine at least)

What I Did (This fix changes the registry files around, it is YOUR choice to follow these instructions, backup everything)

Boot your machine with the vista install disc
    select repair computer
    (I assume you have tried automatic repair and that either failed or did nothing to help)
    select command prompt
    type c:\
    type cd windows\system32\config
    type dir to see the dates for your reg files
    type cd regback
    type dir to compare the dates they should be older than the other files
    if they are type cd ..
    rename software software.old2
    rename system.old2
    this will create a backup of the old files in case things go wrong

type cd regback
    type copy system c:\windows\system32\config
    type copy software c:\windows\system32\config

then reboot your machine, fingers crossed it will come up like mine
    • Proposed as answer by ashetty Friday, February 20, 2009 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, December 03, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Tried everything else, found this:

"SOLUTION : from my tech guy at Toshiba!!

- switch of laptop.
    - Remove battery.
    - Hold down power button for a few seconds.
    - Re insert battery.
    - Power Up and VOILA!"

thought, what the ***, nothing else is working. Tried it.

Back to its old self.

(This was on a Dell inspiration 1520, not a Toshiba)

BTW, this did not fix the faults, but at least I could get into the machine and see what was happening.

Good luck
    Friday, December 05, 2008 11:01 AM
  • This blog has been recently posted a solution:

http://sbsc.techcareteam.com/archives/325
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:20 PM
  • i too had this issue and thankfully i was able to start explorer.exe in task manager. I have scanned all of the other proposed solutions on various sites and none of which worked. so i thought i would share my answer.

in safe mode i ran regedit. under 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon' double click on shell and make sure the value data is only 'Explorer.exe' (mine was 'explorer.exe csrcs.exe' so deleted csrcs.exe)

From here I found another occurence of the csrcs.exe file somewhere in 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows' I may be wrong but i think it was under policies.

i then went to control panel and changed the folder options to:
    show hidden files and folders
    uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'
    uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' and click yes on the message box that pops up.

the csrcs.exe file i was looking for was contained in Windows\System32. (it is only visible after chnaging the folder view options). you cannot delete this file try as you might as it claims it is a system file (rest assured it is not a system file just a virus). the way to rid yourself of this pesky file is to rename it without the .exe format ie a file named 'csrcs'. from here you shuld be able to delete the file and reboot to get your normal desktop.

**Note: your taskbar will probably resort to its classic 2000 style. just change your appearance settings back to either vista or vista aero style

**Also note that this worked for me and if you have a different virus it may appear in a different area of your windows folder.

**this also works for removing it from xp.

Friday, January 02, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Ok so i ran in to the same problem. What I did was I took the hard drive out of the computer and put it to a external enclosure and hooked it up to another computer. After I did this I preceded to run Malewarebytes, Superantispyware, and AVG Free Addition. It found a whole bunch of stuff, after cleaning it up I put it back in to the computer. It booted up fine. If you do not have an external enclosure then you can hook it up to a different computer if you have the room.

Friday, January 02, 2009 5:28 PM
  •  Hello, after reading this entire thread, I realized that no one (I think) was experiencing the same problem as me nor had a solution for me. The difference between me and all the other users with this problem is that I'm using Windows XP, NOT Vista. I currently have SP3 installed, but it is not that which the problem because it has been installed for some time now and has worked perfectly. I will layout the whole scenario of what happened...

After using my computer in the morning to check E-mail n' such (I didn't download anything, nor did I visit any harmful sites, just Hotmail and Chess.com), I went to go take a nap (had the flu...). Upon coming back to the computer a little while later, it was asleep. I woke it up, but nothing would work. Nothing would open and it didn't matter what I clicked on, nothing worked. So, I had to force-shut-down the computer by holding the power button (I know, never a good idea, but I had no other option). It rebooted normally, to a point. Right where it would show the Windows Login screen, it showed only a blank screen with a movable and quite useless cursor. Ctrl + Alt + Del did squat and no function keys did anything. I rebooted it many times to no avail. Then, I booted it in Safe Mode, which works fine...sort of. The problem is, that when I boot it in Safe Mode, it pops-up saying whether I want to work in Safe Mode OR use System Restore. If I choose system restore, it goes to my desktop with a black background with "Safe Mode" in all four corners. It opens System Restore, and after selecting a date and time, nothing happens. I can go through the System Restore steps, but when I get to the "Click next to restore to this date and time" it won't work. Clicking next does nothing. I can click back and cancel, and those work fine, but next does squat. If I choose the "work in safe mode" option, I go to safe mode with the same background. As far as I can tell, Safe Mode works fine. Anything I can do in Safe Mode that might help? Remember, I have XP not Vista...

When I boot from the XP installation CD and select Repair, I get to a command screen. I go through the commands it tells me to go through (location, Admin Password), and then it says: "C:\WINDOWS>" at which point I can type a command to begin the repair. So far, none of the commands I know and tried seem to work, any suggestions?

Thank you ahead of time.

Clayton Mixer
    • Edited by Claymix Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Claymix said:

As far as I can tell, Safe Mode works fine.

Scratch that, guys, I was wrong. Something IS wrong with Safe Mode... I can't do anything. I know that normally, you can't open much (if any) applications, but you CAN open Internet Explorer, right? Nope. For some unknown bizarre reason, my computer, when in Safe Mode, can't even open up Internet Explorer. What the heck happened???

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:43 PM
  • a0pius2 said:

Just fixed the problem (well for my machine at least)

What I Did (This fix changes the registry files around, it is YOUR choice to follow these instructions, backup everything)

Boot your machine with the vista install disc
    select repair computer
    (I assume you have tried automatic repair and that either failed or did nothing to help)
    select command prompt
    type c:\
    type cd windows\system32\config
    type dir to see the dates for your reg files
    type cd regback
    type dir to compare the dates they should be older than the other files
    if they are type cd ..
    rename software software.old2
    rename system.old2
    this will create a backup of the old files in case things go wrong

type cd regback
    type copy system c:\windows\system32\config
    type copy software c:\windows\system32\config

then reboot your machine, fingers crossed it will come up like mine

Thank you for this answer, it worked for me. I had tried everything else, was not even able to start task manager on blank screen.

Was ready to re-install vista, when i tried this and it worked. Thanks again.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 8:29 PM
  • I was having the same problem. My Solution:

I restarted and selected the "safe mode with networking" option.  It started up and a
    "configuring updates 3 of 3" showed up. It finished and loaded into safe mode. Did a proper restart and it worked. Obviously it was a problem with an update and the preinstall to OS load way of updating now. This was a post SP1 update as well. I imaging if this was most people's problem than it would be easily fixed. Anyways hope most are faring well with this issue.
    Southern California
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Claymix - I have come across this very exact issue with a friends IBM laptop.  Have you had any sucess in resolving it?

Thanks, Fil
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:27 AM
  • I did fix it eventually, but not in a good way. I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. Now it works fine...but I lost everything I had on my computer. I really hope your friend can work it out and solve it some other way, because I'd hate for him to lose everything. If has everything backed up, then go for it. If not, then try everything else... I wish I could be of more help...
    • Proposed as answer by BenQuest Friday, August 28, 2009 5:49 AM
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I have been struggling with this too. Could see PC was booting as the chunkier pointer came up for safe mode but no other response other than sleep on lid close. WRP would not run sfc commands from cmd when booted to disk (got around that, but it would then not repair errors). In short I narrowed the issue down to svchost.exe. 
    MY FIX
    Copied a good version to the root of C: and then moved that to the Windows/System32 folder. I could not copy it directly there. After that issue fixed. Don't know if that helps anyone but worth a try before re install!
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:40 PM
  • I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND COMPUTER SPEAK

I had this same problem on my laptop, and came on here for help, and no offence to any of you but I didn't have a clue what was being said.

So I tried to have a fiddle around on my own, and here's how I fixed in in less than 5 minutes.

Shut everything down, if it's a laptop take the battery out. Then put it back in, press the on button, when the grey screen comes up saying setup press F2.
    Then all the options come up about how to change settings etc. I didn't have a clue what any of these meant, and didn't wanna further ruin things, so I selected exit, where it asked me if I wanted to save changes and exit and I said yes.

After a little while (about 30 seconds) my laptop then, GOD BLESS IT, said it seemed to be having problems loading, and should it run system restore? I said yes, I love you. And it did. And it worked.

Voila.
    Hope it works ^_^

• Proposed as answer by TornFaerie Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:40 AM
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:37 AM
  • thank you so much for the answer
    This was the only helpful reply there was towards this problem
    Sunday, May 03, 2009 10:33 AM
  • glad it helped!!! :)
    Sunday, May 03, 2009 4:54 PM
  • This was helpful and my system came back, then I ried to shutdown and re start the system, shutting down was problem again. so I did hard dhutdown. Re-started it and same problem, tried above one again and again, it did not worked. :(
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Guys.
    My system is still bad
    I tried everything but all I got is the balck screen and the mouse.
    Microsoft!!!! HELPPPPP
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Sorry, accidentaly marked this as an answer. Just wanted to let anyone know that if they find themselves in a situation where they may need to format and reinstall you don't have to lose everything. For relativley little cost, you can purchase a HDD Caddy/Enclosure with a USB interface. This allows you to use the  HDD with the issue as an external HDD. You can then use the USB interface to connect your HDD to another computer without any mess and backup your important files. Then just return the HDD to the PC/Laptop and commence with the format and reinstall of OS.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:54 AM
  • I'm not sure if this was answered and i'm too lazy to search the whole thread but, i have a possible fix for this problem:

In my case it was a failed video driver installation from NVidia, i use a restore point prior to the drivers installation and voila everything was back to normal.
    I hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Mevox Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:09 AM
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:07 AM
  • I found out this is often called KSOD or Black Screen Of Death.

Hopefully this may help you search for better solutions.

I've yet to find one that works for me.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Try running the System File Checker (SFC) from an elevated Command Prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’.

Type sfc /scannow (note the space) and press Enter. This may take some time and, depending upon your installation of Windows, you may have to put the Windows OS DVD in the drive (and you .may need to know your product code which should be underneath the laptop).

Frankly, this sounds like malware and I'd download free trial editions from the major vendors (Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee, and Pandasoft) run the scans, fix the problems they find and then cancel the trials (some you have to pay for after the trial period expires so you want to cancel them before they charge you). This is a good idea anyway because it will clear your system of any infections and that's good even if you weren't having the problem you're having.

If neither of these suggestions work, then try a systems repair from the OS CD-ROM by booting to it. To do that you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD drive first in the boot sequence (by pushing the appropriate key that comes up during a boot for a second or two to enter though you may need to do step 3 before step 2 if step 1 doesn't restore your system - assuming you have access.  If not, step 3 is step 1.

BTW, it's not a unique problem.  There's another thread here about someone who gets an entirely black screen on bootup and has to go to task manager to start explorer.exe but then it works just a bit slower than before (and these are the solutions I've seen and/or proposed there as well).

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:53 PM
  • I have run MSDaRT, here's what I tried:

Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem.
    System Restore - No restore points.
    Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found.
    Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors.
    SFC Scan - No problems.
    Stand alone system sweeper - No problems.
    Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:13 AM
  • WPW! You really seem to have tried almost everything I've seen that has worked for others to resolve the problem. Some say using last known good configuration works but you've probably booted so many times now that the last known "good" configuration probably has the problem (but it's worth a try since it's easy to do and you'll find out right away).

If you have any Roxio, Sonic, or Magic ISO products installed on your system, uninstall them. Some users say when they did that the problem resolved because these products have a compatablility issue with Vista which was supposedly fixed with SP1 but some with SP1 or even SP2 have had the problem anyway). You might also run the compatability checker to see if anything comes up http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx and then deal with any problems it finds (uninstalls or upgrades).

You might want to download Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee, and Pandasoft trials to see if you have any malware (use all of them because they each don't pick up everything). I know it's a pain in the ____ and time consuming but it's not a bad idea even if you didn't have the problem to potentially fix any infections you might have.

BTW., you should periodically create restore points (especially before doing updates or a new installation) so you'll have some more options if something like this happens again. Most people have enough space on their hard drives to take quite a few (and you can always delete older ones if you start running out of space).
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Using the last known good configuration doesn't work.

I've not seen Roxio, Sonic or MagicISO on this machine, however I believe there might have been some Roxio drivers in services.msc, which I disabled using MSDaRT anyway.

There's no compatibility issues, it's been working fine for months.

I've taken the hdd out and plugged it into another system and scanned it using Avast! home, nothing found.

Restore points are great, however it's no good creating them AFTER the machine has screwed up. I've no idea why they weren't enabled.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:12 PM
  • While Avast! home is good, you might want to try scanning with the others as well (despite the time and effort). Some find things that others don't and maybe one will find something that's causing this.  It can't hurt to try.

I'd still try booting to the CD and running a system repair (not restore or recovery) by selecting install Windows and checking R on about the third screen and then let it do its thing. You'll need the 25 digit product code or you'll be screwed when it requires it and it will (it should be on the side of your PC or underneath your laptop - or in the box if you upgraded). It'll take a while (a little less than an hour but not much) but it's just about the most extreme thing you can try and still save your data and programs.  If SFC /scannow didn't work then this probably won't work either, but it might if there're several corrupt files on your HDD.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:07 PM
  • windows 7 RC1
    lenovo t500
    major display issues, whenever windows auto updates my display drivers crash, I was able to fix this 2x after 2-3 hour sessions of uninstalling/re-installing video drivers using mobility modder but thats not even working now.

Hardware is fine, if I remove ATI Radeon 3650 and intel chipset mobile 4 series express from under display adapters in Device Manager, I can restart windows normally but then the update feature automatically re-inserts the same bad video drivers.  If I prevent this from happening I can get 1200x800 resolution but something is wrong with video display.  When I hover open programs in the toolbar I don't get the visual window anymore, I just get a textual description and when I try to play a video, its pixelated, choppy and the voice and audio tracks don't work right

I downloaded the windows 7 version of the ATI driver from lenovo website (ATI Display Driver for Windows 7 32bit and 64bit) and the latest version of the Intel mobile chipset for graphics acceleration.

When I boot up after the windows flag loads I get a black screen and all I can see is the cursor.

sleep & hibernate unavailable

This is extremely frusturatinsg if anybody can help I'd appreciate it.

Friday, October 02, 2009 8:59 AM
  • I have the black screen upon boot, with a movable cursor, but the Task Manager won't show up.  Also, running in "last known good configuration" results in the same black screen...

I have a huge paper, due this week, saved only on that computer...FML
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:40 PM
  • I got the same thing on Monday.  Tried everything and NOTHING worked, and I'm pretty good at fixing computers.  Came across this article, followed it to the letter and now my computer is running perfectly and I didn't lose any of my files.  I never post, but I thought I'd better share my knowledge.  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Just a great big thanks! Went through all the possible solutions and yours worked for XP Pro with SP3 with the black screen and arrow cursor. I am pretty sure that it was doing a Windows update and then shutting down. I also powered down and unplugged for a good 5 minutes before starting as I had read about someone taking their laptop battery out. Hey whatever combo works as troubleshooting takes a few hours!!! Thanks again as it is so nice to get your current data back!
    Monday, November 30, 2009 11:52 PM
  • I had the same problem with Vista on my Sony Vaio laptop. One day, it just happened. I could not get into Vista normally. There was a black screen with movable mouse. Could get into Vista using Safe mode no problem, so I tried so many things:
    - memory diagnostics
    -disk checks
    -Virus checks
    -system restore
    etc.
    Even tried startup repair, but nothing fixed it.  Was going to give up and re-install Vista, when I decided to try one last thing:
    -went into Safe mode
    -Control panel --> Device Manager
    -Disabled my Display Adaptor driver
    -rebooted and went into normal mode
    Surprise! Vista boots ok!
    -ENABLED the display adaptor driver
    -rebooted again and went into normal mode
    Vista still ok!
    Since then, I have rebooted many times and Vista has not failed again.
    Looks like the Display Adaptor driver was a temporary problem. Don't know why, but don't care anymore.
    Good luck everybody!

Friday, December 04, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Great Parker Fairfield...mine did not have explorer.exe but was able to create from new task.

Have you figured out what caused the explorer not to appear or work?

TKS!!!

Friday, December 11, 2009 3:53 AM
  • I tried this and it worked perfectly 100%.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Not a solution but another angle to attack the problem from for those still stuck.

I absolutely DID NOT want to reinstall Windows (Vista Enterprise) due to being on a major time crunch. My problem is the black screen with white cursor AFTER hitting the login screen and logging in...instant black screen. All flavors of Safe Mode offered the same thing. LKGC didn't work. Boot process was clean per the Vista Repair utility. System Restore from the Vista Repair utility also failed to fix things and I went back months. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't bring up Task Manager. But....Shiftx5 DOES bring up the sticky keys window which has a link leading you to where you can disable Sticky Keys. This brings up a window with an address bar at the top which allows you to hit explorer.exe bringing up the Windows desktop. While the computer is still flaky as ____...at least I'm in the door and can start poking around more.

Hope this helps someone out there.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Got a black screen with white blinking immovable cursor at top left.

Went to BIOS (F2/Set-up) and switch Boot options for Harddrive for the first choice and CDWR for second and disabling third and fourth options.

Starts fine now.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:17 PM

The Whole Story:

Hallo,

I had the same problem as you did up until 20 min ago.

It happened after I somehow disrupted the sleep/wake-up process. My theory is that it cleared the permissions on some essential files and did not let Win7 read it.

So from the beginning. After the computer woke up it showed me some errors saying that there are not enough permissions to write some temp files (programs that were running were trying to get the write access), so I though a restart would do some good, since it is Windows after all, who know what might have gone wrong. After restart I got the Black Screen with a mouse pointer. Nothing else. 

I rebooted a couple of times and sometimes the mouse pointer was not moving, sometimes it was.

I inserted the Windows 7 Install which I have on a USB Drive. Then I ran every possible option in the Repair Menu.

1. Auto Boot Fix - resulted in some fixes (filesystem fixes) but did not fix the issue at hand.

2. restore Point - I had no restore points (strange, but it was the case)

3. restore Disk - which I did not have either.

-> I did not run the memory test, seemed unimportant.

The Black Screen remained.

No keyboard shortcuts worked. Nothing except the mouse pointer was responding

Finally I decided I would restart from XP which I have parallel installed.

I ran chkdsk there and it also fixed some errors. Still the Black Screen remained after reboot in Win7.

Then I decided to look at the permissions on the folders in my Win7 System Drive.  It showed literally no permissions. The checkboxes were not filled.

Next I did the following:

1. Right click on the system drive

2. Properties -> Security Tab

3. Administrators, System -> checked Full Access

4. Authenticated Users -> added and checked Everything except "Full Control" (Modify was also checked.) (not sure if this is nessesary)

5. Then I clicked apply.

6. After around 30 minutes the process was over and I tried to boot unded Windows 7 -> It worked!

I saw the black screen at first with a mouse pointer (which I think I remember being a normal case). Then the Login screen appeared.

I have one last concern left. The full permissions on every folder and file should be a little insecure in my opinion. If it is, then how do I let Win7 set the right permissions on folders?

I hope this helps you all, and from now on I think I can live without Sleep Mode. :)

Monday, April 05, 2010 1:00 PM
  • had the exact same issue with the black scrren with moveable cursor after the welcome screen, removed the drive, added it to my testbed, ran a chkdsk which found and "fixed" a few issues with the mft bitmap(i think thats what it said), re installed the drive into the lappy (compaq presario c500) managed to boot to windows (not safe mode) but was horribly slow. in the process of moving the drive noticed that it was rather hot so on a hunch i hard shutdown, entered BIOS and performed the hard disk self test which failed on test #2. HDD was bad.

its a fairly quick test and most BIOS's have a similar test so people with this issue may want to try this before getting too deep into t-shooting. hope it helps someone.

-MM74

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:11 PM
  • I was having the same problem. My Solution:

I restarted and selected the "safe mode with networking" option.  It started up and a
    "configuring updates 3 of 3" showed up. It finished and loaded into safe mode. Did a proper restart and it worked. Obviously it was a problem with an update and the preinstall to OS load way of updating now. This was a post SP1 update as well. I imaging if this was most people's problem than it would be easily fixed. Anyways hope most are faring well with this issue.
    Southern California

Thank you so much.  This "Safe mode with networking" option worked for me.

I had the problem with windows XP and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get past either the black safemode screen with safemode written in each corner, or just the black screen with the cursor in the middle.  Ctrl, Alt & Del didn't work, nor did various other suggestions I'd seen. 

So after F8'ing I tried the "Safe mode with networking" option and it gave me the option of logging in as myself or an administrator.  I logged in as myself and then it allowed me to Start - Run - restore.  So I restored it back to an earlier point and it's logged back into my normal profile now.

Just running Malwarebytes to see if it finds anything nasty, but it seems to be ok now.

Thanks so much drjman

Monday, June 07, 2010 10:14 AM
  • THANKS SO MUCH MAN! THIS REALLY HELPED ME!!! @ Parker!
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:22 PM
  • I managed to get my system back by using "last known good configuration"

How did you remove this if the screen is black, i can find no options to edit anything

i have the option of safe mode(s) and whichever i try i get a black screen, also i have tried every setup, BIOS and everything and cannot get anywhere please help!

Friday, July 02, 2010 11:52 AM
  • This solution worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 5:08 PM
  • i have the same problem but the day before i disabled all my startup programes i think tht is the reason what you think ?/
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:08 PM
  • CLT ALT DEL when i press it nothing comes up why is that ?
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Good thing your still able to logon to safemode.

while in safe mode (with networking) try make sure your computer is malware free. If you security software doesn't run in safemode you may download and run PrevX3.0 and MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) .

Once things are clean, make sure your shell has the right value in the registry

if you don't feel confident messing around in the registry editor you can create this .reg file

name it winlogon.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "Shell"="explorer.exe"

Extract this reg file that you have just created.

Before you logon to normal mode go to MSCONFIG and try clean boot first

I hope this helps you, If you have clarifications you can PM me.

Ceasar

Free Tech

• Edited by Cesabarre Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:35 PM corrected textarea tags
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Not sure if this will help or not but I logged in to safemode, On a windows 7 machine, and disabled the network service for windows media player. After that all seemed to work just fine.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/01/27/how-to-disable-windows-7-media-player-network-sharing-service-wmpnetwk/edia player.

during the "blackout" I managed to catch a glimpse of an error report behind the blackscreen while switching between it and the task manager. Once the blackscreen hit, I did the 'ol 3 finger salute and out popped an error about the WMPnetwrksrvce was unable to load or something along those lines.

good luck, hope this helps yall

Barbaric1

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:54 PM