none
Attempt to initialize Virtual Windows XP gives "Could not complete Setup. Please try again."

Question

• Hi,

I've been trying to install Virtual Windows XP on my RC release of Windows 7 with Virtual PC (KB958559). I get to the end of the "Setting up Virtual Windows XP for first use..."  only to get the error message  "Could not complete Setup. Please try again."

I was not able to find anything in the event viewer that provided a specific error.

I'm running a Q6600, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 RC , 500 GB HDD, P5K-E Wifi mobo.

Any assitance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Obanion
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 2:56 AM

Answers

• Apparently, during initializing xpm, the vm is run. I had a bootable CD in my system. The VM booted from that, instead of running/initializing xp. This is because the default bios setting (within in the VM!) is to check floppy, CD and only then the hard disk.

So if you have a bootable floppy or bootable CD in your system, xpm does not properly get initialized.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Ok .. So, I guess I understand the problem here. The whole issue is due to the bootable CD in the machine. If that is removed, your Virtual windows XP setup should work just fine. There is no need to change the access rights on the Program Files\Virtual Windows XP folder or the VHD file in that location.

During the Virtual Windows XP setup, the setup is expecting Windows XP to setup in a certain way. Since there was a bootable CD in the machine, instead of booting XP, the other OS started to boot inside the Virtual Windows XP VM. Thus the setup was not getting the right information from the process, hence could not complete setup.

So, currently, please do not have any bootable CDs on the physical mahcine, while setting up Virtual Windows XP for first use.

regards
    Rahul
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Thanks, we have logged this feedback and will look into it.

Nitin
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Rahul

Problem fixed, after pressing Shift+Esc  i saw it was booting from my bootmanager bootable cd, and the bootmanager gave an error.
    After removing  the bootable cd    the Virtual Windows XP  setup was succesful  and XP started without a problem.
    Thanks

So other people seeing the same problem....REMOVE  bootable CD/DVD  before setup  Virtual Windows XP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the same problem here , it takes a while for the setup to finish ,but at the end it says :
    "Could not complete Setup. Please try again."

try again does not help

I'm running a Q6600, 3GB RAM, Windows 7 RC , 500 GB HDD    DELL XPS 420

what could be the problem

thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Schwartz Monday, March 12, 2012 8:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Gary Schwartz Monday, March 12, 2012 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback, we are looking into it.
    A workaround would be -
    When you get this error dont press Ok. Let the setup continue in the background. We would like to know hoe much more time does it take for the setup to complete ?

Thanks
    Nitin

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 3:16 PM
  • The setup has yet to complete after 25 minutes of waiting at the "Could not complete" screen.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Same error. Dell XPS M1530, Windows 7 32 Bit.

Setup wndow says "Setting up Virtual Windows XP for first use" and gives an error "Could not complete Setup. Please try again"

I have tried 5 times until now with the same error message. The progress bar on the setup window turns red when the error occurs.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Vivek
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Hi, all
    there is a problem with security settings of C:\Program Files\Virtual Windows XP folder. Grant your user full control and the problem disappear.

p.s. for my bad english

Greetings
    Ognyan Yuskeseliev
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Don't wait any further. Setup might be complete in background. Click on OK (this will turnoff the VM), next start should show VXP setup done.
    Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Nope does not work, waiting does not work
    next start will also begin again and again  with : Setting up Virtual Windows XP for first use"   and failed again

I did not do this :
    security settings of C:\Program Files\Virtual Windows XP folder. Grant your user full control and the problem disappear

does that help?
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Unfortunately, this did not work either. Is there any other place where user permissions might have to be modified?
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Try changing the owner of the folder. By Default installation set Owner -> System.

Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Here, I have the same problem, running Windows 7 RC 64bits, upgraded from Vista SP2 RTM 64 Bits, Having Virtual PC 2007 installed previously then uninstalled, Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu and VirtualWindowsXP.msi installed.
    I tried to change permissions on the C:\Program Files\Virtual Windows XP\ but nothing more, it stop at the end of the progress bar that become red and a window "Virtual Windows XP 1 - Windows Virtual PC" with the message "Could not complete Setup. Please try again." poped.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Try creating new virtual machine and select the preconfigured Windows XP VHD.
    • Proposed as answer by Cherfloflo Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:55 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:34 PM
  • I delete all the configuration files but the pre-configured .vhd, the i create a new machine, then all start normally ! Thx Ognyan Yuskeseliev !
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:57 PM
  • No problem here.
    Virtual PC Beta installed in Win 7 RC 64 bit and Virtual XP also installed and is running now.
    Gigabyte GA-P45=UD3P, Intel E9400 quad, 8 GB memory.
    Intel VT enabled in the BIOS. AHCI also enabled.
    No special actions required on my part, the installation proceeded without incident.

Posting this to provide another data point for the developers.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 12:53 AM
  • A few people seem to be hitting this issue. Few qeuries for all those who are hitting this issue:

1. If you wait for a long time (say 20 minutes), does the message on the progress bar change from "Setting up Virtual Windows XP for first use ..." to anything else?

2. Is the machine running any other heavy load at the time of setting up the Windows XP Mode?

3. Can you folks follow the following steps:

a. On the Windows 7 machine, open Command Prompt with elevated privileges.
                b. Run the following commands - 
                       i. setx VPC_OUTPUT_LEVEL 15 /M 
                       ii. setx VPC_TRACE_LEVEL 15 /M
                c. Close all open VPC windows (if any).
                d. Try the setup again.
                e. After the setup fails, click OK on the error message, and send us (wcvdata@microsoft.com) the following log file: %TEMP%\*VPC*, and also your machine configuration (Make, Processor, RAM)

Note: Changing the permissions of the VirtualWindowsXP VHD file or its folder does not have any impact on this issue. Please do not change the permissions on this file or its folder.

regards
    Rahul Razdan [MSFT]

Friday, May 08, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Rahul

VPC Files sent to wcvdata

Dell XPS420 3Gb Q6600
    Friday, May 08, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Thanks, we have logged this feedback and will look into it.

Nitin
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Hello Jaccies99

Just before you get the "Could not complete setup" message, can you press Shift+Esc and send us the snapshot of the UI you see. Also, please wait for sometime after hitting Shift+Esc and let us know if the setup completes.

regards
    Rahul
    Friday, May 08, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Same problem and nothing that you geniuses have suggested works. If I sound frustrated, you bet. I know this is beta software but repeating the same damn thing over and over -- as you have suggested and waiting 15 minutes for the thing to complete each time is getting irritating.

SO irritating that the Mac is looking better and better at this point or at least back to the (real) XP. Clearly this ain't ready for primetime and I'm sick of trying.

Out.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 2:06 PM
  • The Ctrl-Esc or Shift-Esc worked for me : Only then  I saw the system was booting live-linux from the cd in the background! Also check your bios settings.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Hello djpxyz

I can understand your frustration. Here are some steps that can unblock you and get your Windows XP environment up and running:

1. On your Windows 7 start menu, click All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Virtual Machines
    2. On the explorer window that opens up, click on "Create virtual machine" button on the menu
    3. On the "Create a virtual machine" wizard, choose any name and click next
    4. Choose any RAM value, and click next
    5. Choose, "Create a virtual hard disk using advanced options" and click next
    6. Click on "Differencing"
    7. Type any name and click next
    8. Browse to the VHD file that you got when you installed the Virtual Windows XP MSI. (Default location was %PROGRAMFILES%\Virtual Windows XP\)
    9. Click Create
    10. On your Windows 7 start menu, click All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Virtual Machines
    11. On the explorer window that opens up, Double click the file that has the same name as you chose in step 3 above.

You will go through the Windows XP setup and the machine would be ready for use. This VM would not work using the "Virtual Windows XP" link in the start menu, but it will unblock you from trying out the feature.

Meanwhile, all steps mentioned in earlier posts are to find the root cause of the issue you folks are facing (not workarounds). Would really appreciate if you could provide us the snapshot of the screen that you see after clicking Shift+Esc just before the Virtual Windows XP Setup progress bar would complete and throw up an error.

regards
    Rahul
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Hello JVM2009

"I saw the system was booting live-linux from the cd in the background". Can you please explain your scenario? Not sure how Linux came into picture? :)

regards
    Rahul
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Apparently, during initializing xpm, the vm is run. I had a bootable CD in my system. The VM booted from that, instead of running/initializing xp. This is because the default bios setting (within in the VM!) is to check floppy, CD and only then the hard disk.

So if you have a bootable floppy or bootable CD in your system, xpm does not properly get initialized.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

Ok people i was testing this last night for about an hour and ketp getting this message I managed to sort it and im posting to see if how i did it helps you.

Ok first when XP Mode setup is not running.
    Take full control of C:\Program Files\Virtual Windows XP          "Note drive destination may very in some situations"
    then take Full Control of C:\Program Files\Windows Virtual PC   "Note drive destination may very in some situations"

Then run the XP Mode if all go's well it should work fine.

Sorry for my spelling i have a disability.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:45 AM
  • Hello Lance

Do you have 32 bit Windows 7 installed? In case, its true; please install this KB for the access issue.

Thanks
    -Rahul
    "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:13 PM
  • I have 32bit and all is working fine by doing the step that i have posted.

Thanks
    Lance Goss
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:32 PM
  • @JMV2009.

Thanks a bunch. I was able to resolve my setup issues with your recommendation. I had a Ubuntu boot cd in my optical drive. Upon ejecting the disc, I was able to boot into the virtual windows mode.

Thanks again.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Ok .. So, I guess I understand the problem here. The whole issue is due to the bootable CD in the machine. If that is removed, your Virtual windows XP setup should work just fine. There is no need to change the access rights on the Program Files\Virtual Windows XP folder or the VHD file in that location.

During the Virtual Windows XP setup, the setup is expecting Windows XP to setup in a certain way. Since there was a bootable CD in the machine, instead of booting XP, the other OS started to boot inside the Virtual Windows XP VM. Thus the setup was not getting the right information from the process, hence could not complete setup.

So, currently, please do not have any bootable CDs on the physical mahcine, while setting up Virtual Windows XP for first use.

regards
    Rahul
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:15 PM

Great Finding !! thanks.
    Thanks, Vrijesh Kothari **** This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

Same problem for me after having tried all the solutions proposed, here is my configuration :

Windows Seven build 7100
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    4Gb RAM OCZ

List of programs (non-exhaustive) :

Office 2007
    Nod32 V4
    Vmware WorkStation V6.5
    iTunes
    Adobe PhotoShop & DreamWeaver CS4
    TrueCrypt
    Virtual Clone Drive (virtual drive disabled)

My user profile d:\users\matc

Virtual Windows XP path : d:\programs\Virtual Windows XP

I hope we can resolve this problem :p

Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Good find on the booting from CD or Floppy thing. I had a ASUS P6T Drivers CD in my CD-ROM which might have caused the problem. Right now it didn't even say that it's setting up for the first time instead it's saying "Enabling integration features". Yay, right when I am writing this it worked. I'm in XP now. This is exciting. :)

Hope it works for others as well.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Rahul

Problem fixed, after pressing Shift+Esc  i saw it was booting from my bootmanager bootable cd, and the bootmanager gave an error.
    After removing  the bootable cd    the Virtual Windows XP  setup was succesful  and XP started without a problem.
    Thanks

So other people seeing the same problem....REMOVE  bootable CD/DVD  before setup  Virtual Windows XP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Had the same problem.  Disabled bootable DVD in bios.  Virtual XP installed without a hitch.

Roy
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:30 PM
  • I am still having the same problem. Disable the boot from the DVD of my laptop, but every time I try to install Virtual Windows XP gives me the same error "Could not complete Setup. Please try again."
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:23 AM
  • @C-3 sl:

You say disable the boot, did you physically take out the DVD?

Or did you change the boot setting in your system bios, which does not work.
    You would need to change it in the VM bios!

Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:37 AM
  • How I can change that in the BIOS of the virtual machine?.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:23 AM
  • During normal booting of a VM: by pressing DEL

During initialization of XP: press shift-esc, you should see the VM booting. press DEL immediately. Not sure XP will initialize properly afterwards. Probably not.
    Therefore, instead take out the cdroms and floppys!
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Just installed Virtual PC. When booting Windows Virtual XP for first time I get the error: "Could not complete Setup. Please try again.."
    I have no floppy or DVD inserted in the Laptop.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:30 PM
  • C-3 sl

then press Shift -Esc and see what happens during  setup!!!!!..tell what you see 
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:39 PM
  • This error is also happening for me.  I do not have a bootable CD in my drive bay.  I have started the setup over, pressing Ctrl-esc at the beginning, and I will watch what happens.
    If I can't make heads or tails of it, I will send you a screenshot.

If I set the VPC_OUTPUT and VPC_TRACE levels, how do I reset them to the default once I have gotten the trace file?
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Disabling Eset NOD32 AV worked for me to bypass this error !
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:46 AM
  • I had a problem with the same issue - "Could not complete setup. Please try again."

I solved my issue by turning off the bootable cd option in the BIOS.  I loaded just fine after I disabled the bootable CD.  Hopefully this helps some of you.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:08 PM
  • disableing the bootable CD in the BIOS solved my same issue.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I am having the same issue, but none of your fixes make sense, seeing as I have a computer that does not HAVE a bootable drive short of the harddrive itself.

Running an HP EliteBook 2740p

running the quad i-7 620m 2.67ghz

win 7 pro 64 bit (haven't gotten around to using my ultimate upgrade disc)

4gigs ram

120 gig ssd x2

Do I still need to go into the bios and set the machine to remove bootable dvd device despite not having one in order to make this work?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Do you use any virtual cd programs like magiciso?
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:47 AM
  • I'm not sure how many people are still having this problem and why it seems that no one has posted the solution. I searched for days on various newsgroups looking for the answer and trying numerous suggestions, none of which worked, until I finally thought maybe it had something to do with my firewall. Not knowing what features of this software could require access through the firewall and how to accomodate that requirement i simply took the risk of shutting off the firewall completely for a while and ran the setup again. Voila! The thing went through without a hitch. This was after at least 15 attempts and uninstalling and reinstalling and redownloading the software numerous times/ If this is the same solution that has eluded all other users experiencing the same problem then Microsoft needs to wake up and inform people of this requirement right on the download page.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Do you have a 3rd party firewall? The Windows 7 firewall doesn't
    normally block installation.

I've installed WVPC numerous times and never turned off the firewall
    to do it, so it's not normally a requirement.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.

I'm running Windows 7 on Parallels 6 VM for Mac.

What should I do?

Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:56 PM
  • I am running an HP Elitebook 2740p, with a solid state hdd, and this machine has NO bootable drive short of the internal.

I have never managed to get xp mode set up on this computer, although I can do it to any other computer without issue. It will get all of the way to the end and then give me the message "Could not complete setup. Please try again."

Considering I'm running Win7 Pro, I should not be having any problems here. 

The only thing I can think of right now that MIGHT cause the failure is that I'm installing the VHD to my 16gb class 10 SD card. Although I should also note that it doesn't work on the harddrive itself either.

Please advise.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Hello Halcyon

Just before you get the "Could not complete setup" message, can you press Shift+Esc and let us know what you see on the virtual machine? Also, please wait for sometime after hitting Shift+Esc and let us know if the setup completes.

regards

Rahul

regards Rahul Razdan [MSFT]
    Monday, April 18, 2011 12:34 PM
  • You can try pressing shift+esc at the beginning and watch the vm. Once you see the blue windows screen saying "Please wait while Windows prepares to start", it will keep placing ............................., well you get the point, then it should start the setup, if it doesn't it's probably the memory being too low or something related to that.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 9:32 PM
  • what if you have a windows xp install cd in your drive and it fails anyways. Wouldn't it still bot from the cd and load?
    Monday, May 30, 2011 9:33 PM
  • For me, it's not the cd-rom problem, i have no cd's in my computer.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:35 PM
  • There might an easy solution, just close the "Virtual Machines" Folder.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hello Bull's eye

Did you try pressing Shift-Esc right at the beginning of the setup progress bar? What did you observe?

Do not disable floppy drive or CD drive. That problem has long been fixed.  

regards Rahul Razdan [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:54 AM
  • I know it's some 1.5 years since the last post here, but I just experienced this problem and discovered the cause, and as so many people had an issue with this one I think it's worth one last post to an otherwise dead thread.

Here's how I got the problem.  A fresh install of Win7 x64, followed by all the patches and required reboots, then Virtual PC, then XP Mode.  The initial setup of XP Mode seemed to reach the end, the threw up the by-now infamous "Could not complete setup. Please try again."

My hardware is an Intel D5400XS board with two QX9775 quad core processors.  Two physical chips is not that common a set-up, so I thought that Virtual PC was having an issue with that.  Then I read this thread and saw that someone got around the issue by removing a bootable CD from the host machine.  Like others here, I didn't have any disc in my optical drive, but it made me take another look at what I did have.

And the culprit was...an external USB device!  When Virtual PC starts the XP VM, it attempts to share the drives of the host machine.  My USB drive was not bootable, but it was definitely the culprit.  Perhaps ejecting/unmounting it from Win 7 but leaving it connected would  have allowed XP Mode to start up and have access to the USB drive - someone else can try that.  I just unplugged it, ran XP Mode again, and this time the first-time setup completed with no issues.

Hope this helps others.

Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:06 PM