none
How can I keep my "Play Count" and "Date Added" history?

Question

• Hi -
    I have been using Windows Media Player 11 for years and I've really enjoyed having a history of when I bought my music (or added it to my collection), and having play counts to show what I've been listening to.   I was kind of shocked to see that when I completed an "easy transfer" from my old computer to my new computer that all of this information was reset.

How can I get that information from WMP 11 database to the WMP 12 database?

Thanks in advance!

[edit:  I forgot to say that I am giving an extended test-drive to windows 7 RC.  Hopefully it's fixed in the RTM?]
    • Changed type Sean Zhu -Moderator Monday, September 07, 2009 4:54 AM
    • Changed type jaaaaaaaaaack Friday, October 23, 2009 5:54 AM I still want to know if there is ever a resolution
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

The "Play Count" and "Date Added" information is stored in a file looks like CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb. In Windows Vista, the files name is CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb and in Windows 7 RC it should be CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb. It is in "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" folder.

To get the information back, please copy the CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb file from Windows Vista to Windows 7. The detailed steps are as below:

1. In Windows Vista, click the Start button, type "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" (without quotations) in the start search box and press Enter.

2. Copy the file CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb.

3. In Windows 7, click the Start button, type SERVICES in the Start Search box and press Enter.

4. Find out the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and double click it.

5. Click the Stop button then click OK.

6. Open the %userprofile%/AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player folder.

7. Paste the CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb here.

8. Start Windows Media Player. (Do not worry about the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, it will start automatically)

If it does not work, please rename the file to CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb first and then paste. Please note, the file name on your computer may be not CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb. If it is the case, please rename the 360 file to the one the same as yours.

In addition, if you would like to find out the Playlists, please go to %userprofile%\Music\Playlists

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Thanks for your reply!!!

The playlists had already been imported by windows easy transfer (It worked like a charm, thanks! Maybe it helps that I only used auto-playlists).
    It seems to want to create a CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb, so I tried the entire process three different ways (copying the 360 database as 360, 371, and 372).  I have not yet had a success.  When I rename to CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb, it still doesn't work, but an interesting change is that it does not re-discover my music at all (as it usually would, with play count 0, date added: today).

I don't know why I'm describing this other experiment, which I did after that, because it didnt work, but on a hunch, I tried creating a directory junction in /users/, using the account name I used on the old computer, pointing to my new computer's account name.  I used to run WMP 11 on windows XP (32 bit), with music in the normal \my documents\my music location.  The default directory junctions that would simulate that path (other than the account name change) were installed by windows 7 seem to be correct.  I repeated the steps again, once without renaming, and once renaming to 372, and that still did not work either.
    When that didn't help, I removed my junction.

I was thinking I might try again after hex editing the CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb file to change all the documents and settings paths to users, and the old account name (which was firstname lastname) to my new account name (just first name), and changing the rest of those 2 byte characters to 0x0000 or shortening the file, but I just don't have the tenacity to embark on that right now (Plus I've got to get back to work at some point).  I don't have any real expectation of making that work, but it's my only other idea so far.
    I mean, it's hypothetically easier than starting a virtual machine to run WMP 11 and manually skipping to the end of songs to increment the playcounts (that would be crazy, and still doesnt fix date added).
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

The "Play Count" and "Date Added" information is stored in a file looks like CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb. In Windows Vista, the files name is CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb and in Windows 7 RC it should be CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb. It is in "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" folder.

To get the information back, please copy the CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb file from Windows Vista to Windows 7. The detailed steps are as below:

1. In Windows Vista, click the Start button, type "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" (without quotations) in the start search box and press Enter.

2. Copy the file CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb.

3. In Windows 7, click the Start button, type SERVICES in the Start Search box and press Enter.

4. Find out the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and double click it.

5. Click the Stop button then click OK.

6. Open the %userprofile%/AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player folder.

7. Paste the CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb here.

8. Start Windows Media Player. (Do not worry about the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, it will start automatically)

If it does not work, please rename the file to CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb first and then paste. Please note, the file name on your computer may be not CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb. If it is the case, please rename the 360 file to the one the same as yours.

In addition, if you would like to find out the Playlists, please go to %userprofile%\Music\Playlists

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

Great stuff.  I"m in the same boat as the original poster, but I'm on XP with WMP 11. What steps for XP?
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Hi,

Since WMP 12 did not discover music at all after replacing the CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb, the database format on WMP12 and WMP11 is not compatible. Therefore, transferring database will not work.

If the method you mentioned (editing the CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb file) does not work, besides using the Virtual Machine to run WMP 11, you can also try installing WMP 11 in Windows 7. Here are detailed steps for your reference.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2409/downgrade-windows-media-player-12-to-wmp-11-on-windows-7.htm

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 04, 2009 7:21 AM
  • I didn't try installing WMP 11.  Instead, I found this tool:
    http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007/03/windows-media-player-metadata-backup.html

On the plus side, I was able to use this tool, after rebooting on my old hard drive (which is really just a backup at this point) and run this backup program, transfer the XML file to the new drive, and do a restore.  This resulted in getting the play counts updated.
    It couldn't do anything about the Last Played or Date Added, though, because they're "read only" attributes.  My auto-playlists are based on the last played date, so that's rather disappointing.  I guess it's close enough though, and although I'll regret not having the "date added" I still have it in the XML file if I really want to walk down memory lane, and the "last played" will change over time anyway.

Well, I'm exhausted and giving up for the time being.
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 8:07 AM
  • What does this mean?

Did you change this from a "question" to a "general discussion"?  Are you keeping metrics using the number of answered questions on these boards?  . . . and changing the type to game the system? I had a question and it was unanswerable (or arguably, answered "you can't" or "nobody knows", if either of those count as an answer)
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Jaaaack:

Above you mention that "My auto-playlists are based on the last played date." You mean the 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc, "ago" right?

That is, I want to sort by "date last played" in auto-play, but AFAIK am limited to the "ago" thing above.

How do you do it?

Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:57 PM
  • captain_eric1: By "based on," I only mean that I use the "1 week/1 month ago" thing.  However, you could make any playlist, and then click on the "last played" column header to sort them, and then play them in that order.

In case anyone is interested in the details of this ongoing tragedy, I decided to work around half the problem by just systematically playing every song again, and once I'm done, my old auto playlists will work completely again.   I'm about 60% of the way through.  I know I could just advance to the last second of every song, but I don't want to.
    I miss having my "date added" column, and while I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to restore it, I have the information in my XML file from Dale Preston's backup / restore tool if I want to find out when I really added a song to my collection.

Could someone get me the name of the person who sat there in your project planning meetings and said "We shouldn't bother importing the WMP 11 data into WMP 12" so I could curse it in public?  Next time you're thinking of keeping a bunch of interesting or useful metadata that you're just going to delete after the next software upgrade, don't.  It's false advertising, and it just annoys people to have something waved in their faces and then taken away.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:02 AM