none
E-Sata disconnecting

Question

• My External Sata drive (used for Backups) is everytime disconnected after the sleep modus.
    When I reboot everything is OK. I put my computer in sleep modus after 20 minutes.
    I tried using the setting for internal Hard Disk to go never to sleep mode but this didn't help.
    I'm very satisfied with Win7 and this is up to now the only dedected problem
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:25 AM

Answers

• That motherboard eSata specs are...

"JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
    - 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
    - 1 x Internal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port
    - 1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)"

You can download the JMicron drivers from Asus web site.

My motherboard, an Asus P6T uses  the same controller, but supports an additional internal Sata.
    I installed the JMicron drivers and my external eSata hard drive works well.

The Intel chipset "Southbridge" on your mother board is only for the internal 4 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports, not the eSata port.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:42 AM

All replies

• What is the setting in the bios for the eSata port that your external Sata drive is connected to? IDE, AHCI, or RAID ?
    For best results of the drive reconnecting after sleep, use the AHCI setting.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Sorry this won't work.
    I tried with AHCI but disk was recognised and also with RAID no drive recognised.
    In the past everything worked OK in Windows Vista.
    Is there perhaps an other sollution.?
    Thanks in advance
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Try loading drivers for AHCI or RAID.
    With AHCI my eSata external drive can be unplugged while the system is running and plugged back in and it will be recognized.
    IDE does not support "Hot Pluging".

Here is a blurb from Intel, other controller manufacturers will have simillar requirements and functionality.

"Hot swap (also referred to as hot plug) is a feature supported by the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) and the Intel® Matrix Storage Technology. Hot swap allows devices to be removed and inserted while the system is running.

In order to take advantage of hot swap, you need the following:

• The Intel® Matrix Storage Manager software must be loaded.
    • OEMs/motherboard manufacturers must correctly enable hot swap capability in the system BIOS.
    • The system must include an Intel® chipset using a controller hub that supports AHCI.

"

Friday, May 22, 2009 4:47 AM
  • No succes.
    I have Asus P5B motherboard with AMI Bios end Intel Core2 6600 2,4 GHz. With Intel ICH8 device
    When I try to install the Matrix Storage manager the software is responding that "Computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the Software" and it stops installing. I tried version IATA621; IATA78 and IATA88. All with the same answer.
    Another possibilty I didn't try is the F6 method but then I have to install Win7 again. It's now running smoothly so I want to keep it.
    I believe I can better connect the E_Sata directly to my NAS server then it's also recognised bij Win7.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 4:00 PM
  • That motherboard eSata specs are...

"JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
    - 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
    - 1 x Internal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port
    - 1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)"

You can download the JMicron drivers from Asus web site.

My motherboard, an Asus P6T uses  the same controller, but supports an additional internal Sata.
    I installed the JMicron drivers and my external eSata hard drive works well.

The Intel chipset "Southbridge" on your mother board is only for the internal 4 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports, not the eSata port.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Yes !!!!!!!
    This was the solution.
    I also downloaded the latest BIOS so I'm up to date now.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Great !!!!
    ----------------------------------------------
    Never to old to learn !!
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:35 PM
  • What is the setting in the bios for the eSata port that your external Sata drive is connected to? IDE, AHCI, or RAID ?
    For best results of the drive reconnecting after sleep, use the AHCI setting.

Actually, this is very difficult or impossible with current ATI chipsets, maybe an expert could comment?
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:55 AM