none
XP to Windows 7 Upgrade C0000135 %hs is missing

Question

• Blue screen problem, physical memory dump. I installed Windows 7 upgrade from XP. I tried doing a fix install but it didn't help. I did a disk defrag, disk clean, etc. Still I get the blue screen on start up.

Error Message:

C0000135
    %hs is missing

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am having the same problem - Error Message:  C0000135 %hs is missing.  This was also a Windows 7 upgrade from XP (student discount for my son).  I tested the hard drive (no problems) and tested the memory (no problems).  All drivers are current and so is the bios on a Dell XPS Gen 5.

Tomorrow morning, I am re-installing XP and starting the upgrade from the desktop with a custom install.  If the problem is gone, I will post back.  I have searched all night for an answer to this error message and I am not finding one, I don't know what else to try.

My only thought was that the nVidia Forceware was installed after AVG, sometimes anti-virus interferes with the video driver  installation.  This time I will load the video first, then sound, then AVG, unless someone else has any advice on what is causing the blue screen and error to occur.  I had a problem with nvidia only once on XP and had to install the driver from safe mode to fix the problem. 

I need this computer working before my son goes back to college for the next semester.  Any other solutions?

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:10 AM
  • higgybear - Dell has already identified the XPS Gen 5 as NOT recommended for upgrading to Windows 7.  See http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=7BDC0E7F7327D133E040AE0AB6E16102&docid=364754 (its where I got the information for another person with XPS Gen 5)

Nori, what machine are you trying to upgrade?  Have you checked to make sure its on Windows 7 Hardware Compatability List?

Have you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor tool? Have you disabled any firewalls and AV's. You do know that you'll have to do 1 of two things to upgrade. 1. Do a Clean install or 2: Upgrade to Vista then upgrade Windows 7 and you must follow the upgrade path http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:25 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:38 AM
  • cdobbs - Thank you for your response.  I did run the upgrade advisor tool and the Dell Gen 5 did pass.  I have a Dell XPS 600 and have a full version of Windows 7 Ultimate on it, works great.  There is not much difference between the Gen 5 and Gen 6 except that the Gen 5 uses Intel chipset and Gen 6 uses nVidia chipset.  What I don't understand is that the Gen 5 surpasses the specs needed for Windows 7, yet Dell claims it is not compatible?  I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a friends Dell Dimension 9100, which Dell claims is not compatible, yet it runs great.  Windows loaded all drivers, I only had to update the video driver and the sound (X-Fi Extreme Gamer) I used Daniel K.'s Support Pack 1 and then ran Creative's update.  I am not sure why Dell is saying "not compatible" to some of their high end computers.

Also, I left out something that happened during the installation.  When I purchased the Windows 7 upgrade for students, I did download the ISO file and make a disk, but I also ordered a back-up disk from Microsoft.  We used the Microsoft disk originally for this install.  The disk stopped working 3 times!  We finally took the disk out and looked at it, noticing that the disk was very scratched and marked up (we had never taken it out of its sleeve!)  We then started over using my ISO disk and the install went through.  Could my disk have tried to pick up where the Microsoft disk left off, maybe messing things up?  I did contact Microsoft and they are sending a new disk.  I was thinking maybe I started with a bad install to begin with?

I am also wondering about a conflict with AVG and Zone Alarm, but after uninstalling Zone Alarm it still crashed.  I do know from experience that Microsoft Security Essentials and Zone Alarm on Windows 7 do not play nice.  Possibly the same applies to AVG and Zone Alarm.

Thanks for your response, but I am going to give it another try starting over.  Just trying to decide whether to install XP or Vista first, then install Windows 7.  I don't give up easy. 

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:32 PM
  • re-installed XP - installed Windows 7 (ran from the desktop and selected custom install) - everything seemed good until I ran disk defrag - it crashed in the middle of defragging blue screen error message still the same:  C0000135 %hs is missing

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:39 PM
  • are there fewer problems upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista than from XP?  I have a Vista disk (not being used) that I could install and then run the upgrade to Windows 7. 

any advice appreciated
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Just to let everyone know, I finally got the problem fixed! 

I made a new disk from the ISO file, installed Vista and from the desktop started the install of Windows 7 and it all went smooth!  I do not know if it was a bad disk or because I started with Vista instead of XP.  ????  The computer has been working with absolutely no problems since midnight last night. 

Thank you for your help and responses, it is very much appreciated.
    Friday, January 01, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Now remember, if any problems that do crop up regarding devices, there are no Vista drivers just XP, so you'll need to install them in XP compatabilty mode, but glad you got your problems worked out. Very strange to get a bad disc from Microsoft. Yes, that's also in the install instructions that all firewalls and AV along with any external devices are disabled/unplugged to prevent problems during the install.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Friday, January 01, 2010 8:51 PM
  • I did a clean install. I ran the Windows 7 advisor and it looked like it would be fine. I tried doing a reinstall to fix the problem but I still have the error. I am not computer savvy.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:18 AM
  • Nori, what machine are you trying to install this on? What media are your trying to use? Is this one you burned yourself? Did you buy the DVD and if so from whom? You still haven't answered any of my original questions so we can help you. Please re-read the very first post I did. You're not giving us anything to work with.

Saturday, January 02, 2010 2:48 AM
  • I also got this error message. I upgraded to Windows 7 over 6 months ago from windows Vista and it has all worked fine till I just got that error message today. I have an HP Laptop dv4.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 6:23 PM
  • I am getting the same thing, C0000135 can not start because %hs is missing. This only happens when the computer is asleep and when I wake it. Otherwise it does not happen. This just started a few weeks ago. I did add a new BD drive about that time but I have shut down all the start up utilities withthe Power DVD software that comes with it. What is interesting is that the computer now no longer will go to sleep on its own, only if I put it to sleep. When I wake it I then get the bsod with the above message.

This is a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate. All hardware checks out OK. I won't give all the details of the checks I have done but I am sure there are no hardware issues. Windows is installed on a newish SSD. 12GB DDR3 Ram, The SSD only had WIndows as well as a few often used programs. The rest of my programs are installed on a seperate drive. This set up has worked well for me and in fact everything runs very well except for this issue.

Should I do a repair from the indstall disk? Any other thoughts?

Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I'm getting same thing from Vista to windows 7.
    Mean microsoft has no solution to this?
    I have to let it crash & reboot more than 5 times a day?
    Can anyone help to provide some solution? Thanks

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:41 AM
  • This is a tricky error because it requires a live system debug to
    determine the missing file,

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:26 PM