none
Rearranging Tiles on the Start Screen

Question

• Using a mouse, it's easy to drag tiles around on the start screen - rearranging them into new groups and whatnot.  The tiles seem to like to arrange in an upside-down L-shape though (like a mirror image of ⅂).  It starts new rows when the previous column isn't even full yet and looks stupid an unorganized.  I'd like to be able to group things into neat rows and columns, filling the columns up before starting a new row.  Is this possible? 

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• No this is not possible :( The customization options of the start screen are terrible.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:22 AM
    Answerer
  • I agree with Andre.  The lack of ability to pre-customize the (Metro) Start Screen in an Enterprise environment for your clone deployment is an absolute failure of Windows 8.  And the sorting ability of them by dragging them around is just not functional.  (Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sort the tiles within each tile group "alphabetically"??!)

p.s. - I still have to try multiple times to get tiles placed & arranged where I want them because of the odd way the different sized tiles interact and arrange in the backwards way they do and find it frustrating.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:03 PM
  • I'd like to be able to group things into neat rows and columns, filling the columns up before starting a new row.  Is this possible? 

I didn't know that was impossible when I did it...   OIC a problem with tiles for Desktop windows--you can't resize them?   I think I used resizing of Metro app tiles as a means of making them stay where I wanted them.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:16 AM
  • The lack of ability to pre-customize the (Metro) Start Screen in an Enterprise environment for your clone deployment

Does this guy's trick not work any more?...  

https://chentiangemalc.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/customizing-default-start-menu-in-windows-developer-preview/

The location has moved but the file seems to exist still?

---

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:32 AM
  • The lack of ability to pre-customize the (Metro) Start Screen in an Enterprise environment for your clone deployment

Does this guy's trick not work any more?...  

https://chentiangemalc.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/customizing-default-start-menu-in-windows-developer-preview/

The location has moved but the file seems to exist still?

---

I gave this a try, where you copy the %AppData%\Local\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms file from an account that I had added and organized Tiles on the Metro Start Screen into the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows folder.  After doing this, I created a new local user account and logged in.  I also logged in with a couple of different domain user accounts that haven't logged into this computer before.  In all cases, the Metro screen was screwed up.  After logging in, there were only 4 tiles on the entire Metro Start Screen.  All it had was "Internet Explorer", "Store", "File Explorer", and "Desktop".

So I have to say that the technique referenced at the above link does not work.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:47 PM
  • this works, but it is not what the user wants. He wants to arrange the tiles in a free order and layout. This does't work.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Indeed. It's annoying for Windows 8 to enforce a two column layout with each row havign to be filled before moving down to the next.

This is one of those "Should have taken more from Windows Phone" things.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Indeed. It's annoying for Windows 8 to enforce a two column layout with each row havign to be filled before moving down to the next.

yeah, this really sucks and MS ignore every Feedback about this.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:06 PM
    Answerer
  • if you want to customize the start screen tiles then do so like this

install Windows 8, join a workgroup, run sysprep in c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe

choose enter SYSTEM AUDIT mode (do not select Generalize) and for shutdown options choose Reboot

the computer will run sysprep and reboot to the desktop...login as Administrator

the start menu will show three icons, desktop, IE and store.

right click to show all apps, and pin the apps you want to appear on the start screen

once done we are ready to run sysprep again, choose Enter System Out of Box Experience (OOBE)
    and select the Generalize option and select SHUTDOWN for Shutdown options

after the system powers off power it on and PXE boot to the PXE password prompt (assuming you have ConfigMgr or WDS/MDT in place), if you cannot PXE boot then boot to a USB key, you must NOT boot from the os drive as this will remove your appsfolderlayout.bin file.

at the PXE password prompt, browse to c:\users\administrator\appdata\local\microsoft\windows and copy the appsfolderlayout.bin file to c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows  or to a network share... or to a usb drive, by copying it to the default users profile now all users on this computer will get the desired start screen,

I hope this helps !

cheers

niall

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:13 AM

• I hope this helps !

no, because you haven't read the question. What you posted is already knon for a long time, but he wants custom layout for his tiles so that they are ordered in a L on the start screen.

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:44 AM
    Answerer
  • no need to be rude.

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:32 AM