none
Can I install my back-up image on a new hard drive?

Question

• Recently my HD with Windows 7 Professional failed completely. The manufacturer agreed to RMA the drive and I expect to receive a new drive soon. Can I use my previous drive's backup image and install it on the new drive or will I have to clean install again?

Regards,

Davy-D.

Old Mig15 pilot. Now using Windows 7 Professional and Project Professional 2010 Beta.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:16 PM

Answers

• On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:16:20 +0000, Davy-D wrote:

> Recently my HD with Windows 7 Professional failed completely. The manufacturer agreed to RMA the drive and I expect to receive a new drive soon. Can I use my previous drive's backup image and install it on the new drive or will I have to clean install again?

The backup image should be fine.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
    • Marked as answer by Davy-D Monday, May 24, 2010 5:11 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:50 PM

All replies

• On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:16:20 +0000, Davy-D wrote:

> Recently my HD with Windows 7 Professional failed completely. The manufacturer agreed to RMA the drive and I expect to receive a new drive soon. Can I use my previous drive's backup image and install it on the new drive or will I have to clean install again?

The backup image should be fine.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
    • Marked as answer by Davy-D Monday, May 24, 2010 5:11 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Recently my HD with Windows 7 Professional failed completely. The manufacturer agreed to RMA the drive and I expect to receive a new drive soon. Can I use my previous drive's backup image and install it on the new drive or will I have to clean install again?

Regards,

Davy-D.

Old Mig15 pilot. Now using Windows 7 Professional and Project Professional 2010 Beta.

Please let us know if it works Davy.

I've had quite disappointing experience with Backup restoration and System Restore in Windows. It would be nice to hear of something working as designed.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Please let us know if it works Davy.

Will do.

However I have to say in this thread I was having problems with windows backup. After choosing myself what I wanted backingup + a system image my backups were ok. I even used the system image to restore my drive when I had problems.

It seems now that the drive itself was failing, but as I have said I will post the result.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:05 PM
  • If the size and model of the new one is the same as your previous, it should work. However if you will have a different hard drive, for example, a large drive, you need to reinstall the system on the new hard drive.  
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:55 AM
  • If the size and model of the new one is the same as your previous, it should work. However if you will have a different hard drive, for example, a large drive, you need to reinstall the system on the new hard drive.  
    Arthur Xie - MSFT

Western Digital sent me the same size & model of Caviar blue 500GB HDD. After checking that bios recognised the drive, I started with my Windows DVD selected repair, Windows found my drive image and installed it promptly and, what appears for the moment, correctly.

So all in all I have to say that backup & restore, for me, worked OK.

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:09 PM
  • I have had sucess with win 7's built in full system image. I have restored my win 7  several times with no issues. My disk with win 7 on it is a 750 gig, with a total of 3 partitions on it. I am wondering if I replace the disk with one of the same size or larger, will win 7 use the whole disk, or only make a partition of the size as the orig win 7 partition? Will I have to create the 3 partitions on the new disk for the restore to work? The other 2 partitions on the disk are not included in the full system image.

My pc is also dual boot with xp, xp is on a differnt disk, so, because of some boot files residing on the c drive, my full system image also includes xp. Does anyone know if it's possible to only back up win 7 ,and not xp, without basically removing the dual boot capability?

Monday, May 24, 2010 11:20 PM
  • @ nytek1: As this thread is now closed, it would be better for you if you posted this question as a new "Ask a Question."

Regards,

Davy-D.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Your statement here is obviously incorrect. You can restore an image to a larger hard drive without any problem. See a Microsoft Support Engineer's post here saying as much.

The only problems arise when the target hard drive is smaller than the source, and even then, some folks report being able to restore images to smaller hard drives as long as the partition on the source drive is smaller than the target drive. See Benchmarkreviews.com and SBSfaq.com .

As the moderator (and a "MSFT," whatever that is), you need to take more care to provide accurate information. You should follow up in this thread so that your erroneous statement doesn't confuse anyone else.

bhagerty
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:39 PM